Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Customized Cub Cadets

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKown View Post
I like the idea of the solid front axle. I have no idea how much weight and how high you want to carry it but whatever, it will make the tractor more stable than if you had a pivot.
If it gets unlevel, how will it move? If one of the rear tires lifts off the ground, the wheel will spin. It's far more likely that the weight on the front (being that the crane will hold it so far forward) it will tip one of the rear wheels off the ground, instead of one of the front. Drive traction isn't the only concern. If a rear wheel comes off the ground, you will also lose the ability to stop. A solid axle (no pivot) is less stable than a pivot style because once a wheel comes off the ground, chances that it will tip increase. That's why we have suspension (or in the case of equipment, a pivot), to keep the wheels on the ground.

If it was more stable to have no pivot, wouldn't all load bearing things like forklifts be solid? Ever roll a shop crane around with a heavy load? What happens when one wheel comes off the ground? It want's to act like a teeter-totter, which swings the thing you are picking up like a pendulum.... Or try's to tip. Except a shop crane moves by you pushing it. It doesn't count on having the drive wheels stay in contact with the ground.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
If it gets unlevel, how will it move? If one of the rear tires lifts off the ground, the wheel will spin. It's far more likely that the weight on the front (being that the crane will hold it so far forward) it will tip one of the rear wheels off the ground, instead of one of the front. Drive traction isn't the only concern. If a rear wheel comes off the ground, you will also lose the ability to stop. A solid axle (no pivot) is less stable than a pivot style because once a wheel comes off the ground, chances that it will tip increase. That's why we have suspension (or in the case of equipment, a pivot), to keep the wheels on the ground.

If it was more stable to have no pivot, wouldn't all load bearing things like forklifts be solid? Ever roll a shop crane around with a heavy load? What happens when one wheel comes off the ground? It want's to act like a teeter-totter, which swings the thing you are picking up like a pendulum.... Or try's to tip. Except a shop crane moves by you pushing it. It doesn't count on having the drive wheels stay in contact with the ground.
I wasn't going to waste my time replying to your post. Your negative, no it all attitude is already decided. then I remembered another post of yours was changed before I had a chance.

I tested lifting the rear off the ground with the center pivoting front axle, result was it tilted left/right very dangerously even on level ground. a non pivoting front axle it is much more stable. Your forklift example is not relevant, it has the center pivoting weldmon axle is on the rear.
So the problem will be if a rear tire lifts off the ground; tire flex will take care 99% of uneven terrain. I've been considering splitting the brakes to individual left/right or possibly some type of a selectable locking differential if I really have any issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.
maybe you shouldn't look.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Steve View Post
Is it just me or is there a flying rat rod trying to escape your shop?. You have a very impressive work space. That car lift is awesome! AND the Cub lift is pretty slick. Thanks for the pictures.
thanks for reply; I've got a lot of time in my garage, the car is a '29 Ford Tudor. here's a build thread if interested http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...-build.943048/
Old 07-23-2016, 09:16 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52'F-3 View Post

I tested lifting the rear off the ground with the center pivoting front axle, result was it tilted left/right very dangerously even on level ground. a non pivoting front axle it is much more stable. Your forklift example is not relevant, it has the center pivoting weldmon axle is on the rear.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

I don't know which type brake is on your tractor. Probably the spot brake that won't even stop you on a hill is one wheel loses traction. Some later Cubs came with a disc brake caliper on each wheel. They weren't great brakes but would give you some stopping power if you lifted one wheel.

I think you did nice work on that project.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:20 AM
Grand Member

I started to read your build on the A Model. I didn't get past the brakes and you had me worn out with your detail work!

I'll get back on it later when I have time.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:00 PM
Grand Member

Build it the way you want to build it, you don't have to satisfy or justify what your doing to every member here.
The Cub Cadet Cops can just learn to look away.

If your lifting something really heavy and do not plan on moving once lifted, you could have outriggers that would take the load too.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52'F-3 View Post
I wasn't going to waste my time replying to your post.
Don’t, it’s not worth your time. He’s like the bad kid in a nice family. Always looking for attention.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoton View Post
Don’t, it’s not worth your time. He’s like the bad kid in a nice family. Always looking for attention.
Yeah... it's attention I crave. You guys are pathetic. I see a legit design flaw, but there's about 4 of you who think I'm a jerk so you have to throw in your rag. Get a life.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:22 PM
Grand Member

Hmmm, I should let a sleeping dog alone, but here goes.
Given the talent of the builder and the attention to detail of the work he does, by looking @ some of his pix of his street rod work, I'm reasonable confident he will not over tax the limitations of the crane.

I spent a lot of years rigging and do see the limitations of the design especially if a load is swung to the side.
Personally, I think he went to a lot of work for the little safe capacity of it,but I do not know what purpose he had in mind, possibly lifting small motors into a GT?? It will work on a flat surface, but I'd would of stayed with a pivot axle.
A pair of light outriggers as mentioned, will go a long ways to side lift stability.

I do know a 50' mobile manlift basket we had @ work with solid axles was pretty useless on anything but flat surfaces, many times we had to help it along using the extendable boom to make it move over irregular indoor surfaces as a wheel would slowly, uselessly spin.
Do be careful and safe
Old 07-23-2016, 05:07 PM

thanks all for the replies;

I understand lifting "Too Heavy" items and/or driving on "Uneven Terrain" will have dangers and/or problems. I'll test and find it's usable limits once operational and make changes as needed.

I like the idea of outriggers, or possibly re-doing front axle with a pivot. it has rear disc brakes and looks like I could split them to a left and right pedals to stop individual wheel spin if I lift a rear tire (but I'm hoping the pneumatic tires will flex enough for my driveway, shop, garage etc.......)

enough typing.... I need to make an orbital valve mount and start routing hydraulic lines.
Closed Thread