Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 05-11-2019, 10:10 PM

Good news! It's running now. I got it to start after putting in a new spark plug and filling the tank with more gas, and changing the tension on the carb. Lots white smoke, i think the white smoke means more gas or not enough oxygen, right? when i dial the throttle down (idling) it's still white smoke .. I will run it longer in the morning and see if this thick white smoke goes away.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:15 PM
Grand Member

too much gas/not enough air is black smoke

blue/gray smoke is oil burning

White smoke is steam/water vapor (if it's cold enough outside)

My guess is it's oil. It might go away after a bit of run time, or it might mean a rebuild is in your future..
Old 05-12-2019, 01:41 PM

still smokes cant tell if it's white or bluish.. i took a video and will post it here.. ran out of gas for now but towards the end after changing the clutch and RPM the smoke stopped ..then ran out of gas. I will post the video here in an hr.

The video shows the broken pto, and missing items (holes in the dash i dont know what they are for) and a walk-around so I will be looking for your expert advice on what is broken / missing when i post the video.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:45 PM

Here's my walk, showing the sound, the smoke, and the missing items.. The engine sound changes towards the end (runs more smoothly) right before it runs out of gas.

Can someone help me figure out what is missing, and what is broken?

https://youtu.be/j-Q7Zv7ltQA

Thanks
Old 05-12-2019, 07:43 PM
Grand Member

Not too bad Ethan. Your 122 has some decent options like creeper and rear lift, wheel weights.

The round hole in front of the shifter that you point to first is where the breather for the creeper should be sticking out of. Hole by keyswitch is where light switch should be. You’re missing the choke cable, should come through the dash where the bolt is in that hole. Missing front grill and headlights. Missing vented clutch cover, steer wheel cap, fender reflectors, Drag link steer linkage rod end should come up through the bottom of the left steer spindle link not go down through the top like you have it because it will jam and bind in a tight turn and get bent the way it is. Looks to be smoking oil some and running pretty rough, maybe choke is closed partially due to the lack of the cable? Nothing a little TLC might take care of, carb clean/adjust, head gasket, resurface head, static timing, lots of little things you can research here to solve some of its issues.

Another cool thing is that you have an “oops pedal”. Look it up to see what I’m referring to!

Last but not least let’s get rid of that boat seat! Good luck and do some research, read the free manuals on this site, knowledge is power and there’s a lot of material in this site to read.
(2) Original, 100, 102, 124, 73, 800, #1 and #2 cart, brinly plows, disk, IH184, IH244, 1948 F Cub
Old 05-12-2019, 08:05 PM

Alvy, thank you so much.

I will research what you said, some of the words you used are new to me, hehe.

I want to start with a good seat. What's a good place to get a seat?

I do have a grill, and a cover that goes where the lights are, i put these on today.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:41 PM
Grand Member

Looks like it's burning oil. I've seen worse, but it's not far from needed a rebuild. It might be struck rings and it might improve with some more run time, and I'd run it like that for a while and see. You might be able to free up the rings somehow if that's the problem. More likely, the cylinder is just worn. Bore the cylinder and rebuild.

The front PTO doesn't appear to be working. The pressure fingers are cockeyed, the actuator lever probably doesn't have the fiber button and has damaged the fingers. Remove and repair.

Overall not in bad shape.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:59 PM
Grand Member

Nice 122. I think the part where you say it smoothed out at end just before running out of gas tells a lot. It tell me that that before you ran out your fuel mixture was likely off. As it ran out or started to run low the situation temporarily corrected itself. It seems like while running you never achieved full throttle RPM. I would suggest a complete go through of entire fuel system. New lines, hook the sediment bowl back up, clean or install new carb and adjust. Then I would check and adjust the governor.
Anyway. looks like a good platform to be a great little tractor. Best of luck with it.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:42 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvy View Post
..... Looks to be smoking oil some and running pretty rough, maybe choke is closed partially due to the lack of the cable?
That is where I would start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I want to start with a good seat. What's a good place to get a seat?
Old 05-13-2019, 03:06 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
That is where I would start!
Agreed, That would also explain why it ran smoother just prior to running out of fuel