Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 08-14-2021, 03:21 PM

Default 2166 deck problems

Well I looked it over, ran it, cut short grass with it, it seemed fine, took it home and the deck belt broke within 50 feet. Not sure if it was operator stupidity or not, I should have eased into cutting but I headed straight for the tall stuff. I had the deck on its highest setting but maybe didn't have enough throttle and overstrained it, I dunno. Or maybe I made a big mistake. Hope not. Doesn't look like it cut much at all, if at all, before blowing the belt.

will any old 1/2 x 62" belt work? Wasn't planning to shop for parts so soon so I know nothing...
Old 08-14-2021, 04:15 PM

Ok, yep nevermind, found the manual...62 x 1/2. There goes another 30 bucks. Turns out the belt that was on there was only 60 inch so I'm going to blame the belt.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:29 PM

I had to replace the deck belt on the one I bought it was totally shot. Picked up a Kevlar belt on eBay for $12 or you can get the official MTD/CC belt for like $40. Either way make sure it’s Kevlar and not rubber. And yes 1/2” x 62” was the one that fit mine, I guess all the 42” 2000 series use the same.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalArianne View Post
I had to replace the deck belt on the one I bought it was totally shot. Picked up a Kevlar belt on eBay for $12 or you can get the official MTD/CC belt for like $40. Either way make sure it’s Kevlar and not rubber. And yes 1/2” x 62” was the one that fit mine, I guess all the 42” 2000 series use the same.

My only option locally was a Gates 6862 for 30 smackers. On the bright side it was a breeze to change, once I got the rusted spindle cover screws out. the original bolts had apparently rusted out completely and someone had drilled new holes and put in heavy sheet metal screws. On the other hand the rear pulley (under the PTO pulley) is bent, but its bent up and outward not inward so hopefully it won't be a source for future problems. Evidently a sign of previous problems though, that i hope do not recur.

Also the Gates sits very loose at rest, so we'll see what happens when I try to mow. Maybe there is a reason it had a 60" belt before...I'll double check tensioners and such but unless activating the deck adds the needed tension I may still have problems.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:36 PM

Maybe check the tensioner springs, on mine with the 62” belt is “just right” then when the PTO engages it tenses up to turn the blade pulleys.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:41 PM

When I lower the deck I get a bad sound from a pulley or bearing. The belt is heating up and that middle (double) pulley is getting really hot.

Jiminy Christmas, this is exactly what I didn't want, another headache. The guy said people were lined up 6 deep just for the engine, if he's not a liar maybe I should unload it now and cut my losses.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:14 PM

Depends on how much you want to work on it. But that middle pulley being hot isn’t good, almost like it’s locking or need grease. On mine there are grease fittings on the blade pulleys but not on the middle PTO pulley not sure if yours is any different but it’s worth a shot before that new belt gets worn out
Old 08-14-2021, 06:49 PM

Honestly i didn't want to put ANY work in it this year, I would have been happy if I could have cut the grass once or twice without incident. I made it a few feet.

The first thing I checked was for a grease fitting, there is kind of a cylinder near that double pulley. I'm not sure what it greases. I shot a little grease in and some oozed out the top of the cylinder almost immediately. I don't know if that is normal when its fully greased (The guy said he had greased it) or if that is a problem. All I know is i wish I had never seen this thing.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:58 PM

I’m sorry, it’s always a gamble when buying off Craigslist you never know if someone has it barely working long enough to sell…
Old 08-14-2021, 07:47 PM

It clearly has been neglected or abused some but it also has less than 600 hours on it. Thats not a whole lot, is it? I dunno 30 hours a year for 20 years so I guess its a fair bit.

The engine and tranny seem solid. I wont give up yet, but I won't start sinking money into it willy nilly either. I need to learn more about it before declaring a disaster.

Like I just read that the reason I can only lower the deck about 3 slots before hitting the ground may be the smaller tire size that are stock on these. And that's where the pulley or bearing noise begins. However, when I engage the deck at full throttle with the deck raised, its quiet but the blades barely move. I'm not sure if that's by design or because I need more tension. Lower the deck to the ground and the blades spin normally, so the belt tension has obviously increased, but the screeching starts.

I should probably read the manual before doing another thing.