Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 07-24-2021, 04:16 PM

Default String trimmer

So I picked up a John Deere C1200 string trimmer off Craigslist for $40. The guy said it “didn’t run” because the fuel lines and primer bulb literally fell apart. It came with both a tiller and edger attachment as well, so I figured it was worth it just for the attachments.

I replaced the primer bulb and fuel lines, still won’t crank. New air filter, spark plug, and even new carburetor. Still won’t crank. It is getting spark I can see the tiny blue jolt on the plug if I remove it and ground it out while cranking. I know fuel is getting into the piston chamber as it sputters out the spark plug hole when I try to crank with the plug removed.

Is there something I’ve missed or is this just a lost cause? I think these new carbs are supposed to be “plug and play” but is there a chance it needs adjusting in some way? I also found out that this isn’t truly a John Deere, it’s just Homelite with a green shell and JD sticker on it. So there’s that too…
Old 07-24-2021, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Could be a crank seal leaking or it is out of time.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:29 PM
Grand Member

Check the exhaust for obstructions, Mud dabbers like to pack the muffler outlet with mud and it will never run with the exhaust plugged,
------a very common problem.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:23 AM

Ol'George is right, they won't run with a clogged exhaust; maybe not mud dabbers, but it could be a clogged/carboned spark arrestor screen. So common in string trimmers that that's pretty much where I start looking when someone brings me one to repair (or just gives to me - that's happened a lot lately, folks getting rid of their gas equipment and buying battery powered tools).

If the carb isn't delivering sometimes a shot of starting fluid or an ounce or two of mix will get it to run for a few seconds indicating it has spark and is in time.

If the exhaust is clear and a shot of fuel won't get a pop or two, then it's time to look at the piston/cylinder through the exhaust ports and see what can be seen. Also a quick look at the fly wheel key.

Let us know what you find.
and various other bucketraters, grassenators and dirtavators.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:54 AM
Grand Member

I agree with most who chimed in....

Also....you might have flooded the dang thing....

Dry it out and try without the choke and primer bulb.
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 07-25-2021, 10:00 AM
Grand Member

If flooded, I dry out a cylinder by removing the spark plug and sticking a lit propane torch near the plug hole and pulling the rope many times till it "pops" You will have to relight the torch a few times as the suction most times sucks out the flame, be careful not to burn/scorch surrounding plastic.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:11 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
If flooded, I dry out a cylinder by removing the spark plug and sticking a lit propane torch near the plug hole and pulling the rope many times till it "pops" You will have to relight the torch a few times as the suction most times sucks out the flame, be careful not to burn/scorch surrounding plastic.
You must be one of them dudes who seat tires with fire!!
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 07-25-2021, 11:16 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-O View Post
You must be one of them dudes who seat tires with fire!!
No "dude" just 60+ years of experience of what works.
A little puff of ignited extra fuel out of the plug hole hurts nothing.

I would not suggest one splash fuel all over the unit and light it on fire.
I do give most people credit for common sense
-----( unless they are an elected official)
As far as seating beads on tires big or small, a blast of air is enough from the tire machine or a large portable tank usually is sufficient , depending on the situation.
There are also other methods or combination of methods that will work.
I will not go into detail to derail this thread.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:54 PM
Grand Member

Dry the plug off with the torch also if the thing is flooded.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:13 PM

Ok I gave everything a good looking over, the exhaust looks clean, as well as everything else. I think the guy stored it well, it’s just gas sitting destroyed the fuel lines and primer bulb. I did notice that even though I replaced the fuel lines, there is a tiny leak around where the line exits the tank. Could that small suction of air around there cause it to not crank? Is there a good way to seal that; I thought the hose was supposed to be snug and seal it but I guess not?