Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 07-02-2018, 05:40 AM

Thanks from the UK, CC is becoming a rarity due to import costs at the moment but should improve when things setal down
Old 07-03-2018, 05:01 AM

Those we can not get only JD Kabuta but we can get very old MF's but are too big for my uses and don't have a mower deck.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:49 AM

Soooo, how about a 3 year update from the OP??? How's it holding up? Any issues? I have bought 3 new cubs over the past 25+ years. Engine wise, no problems. Decks? Hated the things-made 1 pass and the lousy thing was clogging already, didn't matter if grass was wet or dry. As long as it was green, it clogged and shot clumps. Different decks-size and type. The first one I had was a Cub 2165, can't remember if that was a 44, 46, or 48"stamped deck. Second one was a 3204-either 48 or 54" stamped. Last new Cub I had was a GTX2100 I think, had the electronic power steering,which dealer had to fix before delivering it to me. That had a fabricated 54" deck. All tractors were great, decks not so much. All depends on blade tip speed, and for that you need a good zero turn that are designed to cut grass and nothing else. I was looking at the XT3 a month or so ago. No, it has cheapened considerably compared to the 2165 I had, even the 3204. Metal hoods on older ones, cheap plastic that fades and gets brittle with age. About only thing American about Cub Cadet is where they are put together, just about like everything else.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:43 PM
Grand Member

My 2011 GTX2154LE is wearing holes in the plastic hood where it rests on the rubber bumpers.

The right side drag link literally fell apart (no provision for lube of any kind) while mowing and had to be replaced

PTO bearings seized up this spring and had to be replaced.

And now, at 450 hrs, the blade will not re-engage when hot after being disengaged either on purpose of after raising or being bounced off the seat a bit which results in shut down.

I'm not overly impressed at this point for machine in the $5K price range when new. But is does leave a nice cut, but so does my 40+ year old 44A deck on my 128.

At least I can depreciate it as it's used to mow my rental house.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsruskw View Post

And now, at 450 hrs, the blade will not re-engage when hot after being disengaged either on purpose of after raising or being bounced off the seat a bit which results in shut down.
First thing I do is de-idiot proof any new mowers I've bought as best I can. Seat switch is taped down, reverse switch is popped out and held down.

Today's prices for the upper Cub garden tractors are close to $6k, then you have to add the deck on top of it, so you're pushing $7k.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:29 AM
Senior Moderator

I've never had an issue with my 3k series machines not cutting well. If you set the deck up properly they will give an awesome looking cut.

I purchased a new Scag Turf Tiger 2 this year with a 37 HP fuel injected Vanguard to do my mowing with. They say that a Scag with a Velocity deck gives the best cut in the industry. Here is the cut it gives my front yard with Centipede grass.
IMG_9002.jpg

Here is the cut that my 3205 with a model 289 54" deck gives.
IMG_1916.jpg

Needless to say, I still mow my front yard with my 22 year old Cub.

I've looked at used XT3's but they were still priced too high and I don't like a deck that doesn't stripe so I'll stick with the lower priced used 3k machines.

A lot of owners like the XT3's over on the MTF site.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:36 PM

I like the XT3's. I am still thinking about getting one. At least it shouldn't leak oil. Regarding the plastic hoods. They most all have that. Even the 250k big tractors. All plastic/fiberglass hoods that are hinged and swing up.

An xt4 would be right up my ally if such a thing was made. But the xt3 is the best features of the 3000 series. Final drive looks the same as the late 3000 series. No hydraulics, but those items are electric actuators now.

I will admit, I really like the x739, it's just paint that rubs me wrong.

3165 with CC Snow Blower, Front blade, Sims Cab
3185 with 3pt hitch, it runs now. But not well.
48in and 52in mower decks
2185 with mower from my dad when I have a project for it.
Massey Ferguson Model 70 corn planter.
CC yard cart
Old 09-15-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS7120 View Post
I like the XT3's. I am still thinking about getting one. At least it shouldn't leak oil. Regarding the plastic hoods. They most all have that. Even the 250k big tractors. All plastic/fiberglass hoods that are hinged and swing up.

An xt4 would be right up my ally if such a thing was made. But the xt3 is the best features of the 3000 series. Final drive looks the same as the late 3000 series. No hydraulics, but those items are electric actuators now.

I will admit, I really like the x739, it's just paint that rubs me wrong.
I don't Usually post Here Been a Member here since 2010 I usually just use this forum as a reference forum & PM questions

I have owned a XT3 GSX for a Little over 3 years now Only had one issue at 1.5hrs which really wasn't a MTD issue it was a Warner Issue the PTO clutch failed It's Been a Great Mowing, Front Blade and sleeve Hitch Tractor.

I was Leary when the 2011 2000 series Came out do to the Lack of 30inch Hydraulic tiller not Being available or the Fact they went to a Electric Lift system and a electronic power steering system. I had a 2002 Cub Cadet 2206 with a 48inch Deck, electric Lift sleeve Hitch and a 30inch Hydraulic tiller(bought new in 2002). The 2206 was actually the wife's Tractor. Well she wanted Power steering. But I wanted a OEM sleeve Hitch at Minimum because we could always get a 30inch PTO driven Bercomac tiller for it.

Well in 2016 MTD finally had Agri-Fab Produce a Manual lift sleeve Hitch for it. Didn't actually see it On the website until 2017 when I actually Bought the sleeve Hitch and this Kit http://www.johnnyproducts.com/crafts...r_electric.htm Finally the following Year we Bought the XT3 GSX Up to that Point I was Mowing with My John Deere X748. Now the X748 is strictly for Loader, 3point and rear PTO work.

Mostly I have Just Mowed with the Tractor. The Past winter 2020/2021 I did finally use the 46inch Front Blade On it. For such a short height of Blade It did a great Job Plowing Snow. Never Used a the Diff/lock on it I did put these Tires On the Rear https://www.millertire.com/23x10-50-...ac-4-ply-tire/ though and Tractor that I own with Diff/lock or 4WD/AWD I put the Kenda Tires on and any 2WD without Diff/lock I Put AG tire's On.

I own a number of IH & MTD Cub Cadets

1963 Original
1965 70
196? Pre Production(test Model)60
1970 106
1976 1450
1992 2182
2018 XT3GSX

The Plan for the XT3 GSX Hopefully By Next year it will be relegated to Tilling with a 30inch Bercomac tiller(unfortunately Bercomac stopped Producing the Universal PTO tiller In April 2021) for spring and summer work and Using a Bercomac Rotary Broom for Fall & winter work and Purchase a Cub Cadet SX54 Z force Steering wheel zero turn for Mowing as the Mowing Patterns I use a Zero turn is better suited then a Garden tractor.

Yes the XT3 GSX is No 3000 series But it still a very decent Garden tractor. The 3000 was Made to compete against the Deere 425 thru 455 & Simplicity Legacy.

MTD's Problem was they should Have Updated the 3000 series in the Mid 2000's to compete against the Deere X400 thru X700 or the Simplicity Legacy XL Ie adding a Limited Cat 1 3point and Maybe 4WD. and You Might have seen something Like a XT4 being Produced right now. The Problem was they just went right on chugging away with the outdated 3000 series. It was a fine selling machine Until about 2005 and Numbers of New Purchases just slowly declined from that point. To the Point by 2010 it had really Poor sales. But there 2000/2500 series grew Leaps and Bounds over the competition as the 2500 series was a shaft driven Medium Garden tractor at a very competitive Price compared to the Deere X500 series and the Simplicity Conquest & Prestige. Even with the after 2011 2000/XT3 higher Price Tag it still costs Less then the Deere X500 series of the Simplicity Conquest/Prestige.

I will say I find the Hood design On the XT3 to Be a Better Hood design then the Cyclops era Tractors. It's really been a Nightmare to re-hood My 2182 While all the cyclops Hood Panels are basically the same Between the Super & the Standard Garden tractor, The Hood design was Not Very forgiving for Longevity Compared to Deere Hoods from Tractors from the same time Period

The XT3 Hood design is Nice that it a Once Piece system for the Main Body of the Hood. The Only thing I don't Like is I wish they would have stayed with the White/Cream Colored Hood But I can easily remedy that with Putting a Hood of from the Previous after 2011 2000 series. Just haven't Gotten around to it yet.

The ergonomics of the XT3 series really put the Pre 1998 Cub Cadets to shame in a Lot of ways. Yes it don't Have a 3 point or rear PTO Neither did the Pre 82 series Yes You could get a 515RPM PTO But there wasn't Much You could use it for On the Gear tractors from the Narrow & Wide Frames. Really the XT3 series today is the Modern 147.

The Problem is the Lack of aftermarket attachment Manufacturers today They have either gone out of Business or They Produce equipment for Sub Compact tractors and above today. If You still had Haban,Johnson & Brantly Bet You would see a Lot of the aftermarket attachments You saw for the Narrow & Wide frame Tractors on the XT3 series.

While Kwik-way is still around there Parent company wants to concentrate on front Blades. Kwik-way does still make a Loader & Backhoe for the Simplicity Legacy XL But supposedly the Legacy XL is going away in 2022 Production year.

In 2020 Simplicity eliminated the 36inch Belt driven PTO tiller and the Hydraulic or spring assist 1 Point Hitch(Sleeve Hitch) for the Conquest and Prestige and Only Offer a 36inch Tow Behind Agri-Fab tiller for them.

Deere is eliminating the 30inch Belt driven Mechanical tiller for the X500 series for the 2022 Production year. They will now Just have the 42inch Belt driven Hydraulic Pump 42inch Hydraulic tiller for the X580 & X590 tractors. While there will be no Tiller for the X570 Model In 2022(but I Think Deere Might adapt the 42inch Hydraulic tiller to Be Lifted off the Manual lift X570) Deere did that Back In the day when they Introduced a Hydraulic driven tiller for the Older Pre 1987 200 series tractors.

I really find the XT3 GSX or even the XT3 GS model to Be worth the Money and still be considered a Garden tractor that can work the Land
Old 09-22-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
I don't Usually post Here Been a Member here since 2010 I usually just use this forum as a reference forum & PM questions

I have owned a XT3 GSX for a Little over 3 years now Only had one issue at 1.5hrs which really wasn't a MTD issue it was a Warner Issue the PTO clutch failed It's Been a Great Mowing, Front Blade and sleeve Hitch Tractor.

I was Leary when the 2011 2000 series Came out do to the Lack of 30inch Hydraulic tiller not Being available or the Fact they went to a Electric Lift system and a electronic power steering system. I had a 2002 Cub Cadet 2206 with a 48inch Deck, electric Lift sleeve Hitch and a 30inch Hydraulic tiller(bought new in 2002). The 2206 was actually the wife's Tractor. Well she wanted Power steering. But I wanted a OEM sleeve Hitch at Minimum because we could always get a 30inch PTO driven Bercomac tiller for it.

Well in 2016 MTD finally had Agri-Fab Produce a Manual lift sleeve Hitch for it. Didn't actually see it On the website until 2017 when I actually Bought the sleeve Hitch and this Kit http://www.johnnyproducts.com/crafts...r_electric.htm Finally the following Year we Bought the XT3 GSX Up to that Point I was Mowing with My John Deere X748. Now the X748 is strictly for Loader, 3point and rear PTO work.

Mostly I have Just Mowed with the Tractor. The Past winter 2020/2021 I did finally use the 46inch Front Blade On it. For such a short height of Blade It did a great Job Plowing Snow. Never Used a the Diff/lock on it I did put these Tires On the Rear https://www.millertire.com/23x10-50-...ac-4-ply-tire/ though and Tractor that I own with Diff/lock or 4WD/AWD I put the Kenda Tires on and any 2WD without Diff/lock I Put AG tire's On.

I own a number of IH & MTD Cub Cadets

1963 Original
1965 70
196? Pre Production(test Model)60
1970 106
1976 1450
1992 2182
2018 XT3GSX

The Plan for the XT3 GSX Hopefully By Next year it will be relegated to Tilling with a 30inch Bercomac tiller(unfortunately Bercomac stopped Producing the Universal PTO tiller In April 2021) for spring and summer work and Using a Bercomac Rotary Broom for Fall & winter work and Purchase a Cub Cadet SX54 Z force Steering wheel zero turn for Mowing as the Mowing Patterns I use a Zero turn is better suited then a Garden tractor.

Yes the XT3 GSX is No 3000 series But it still a very decent Garden tractor. The 3000 was Made to compete against the Deere 425 thru 455 & Simplicity Legacy.

MTD's Problem was they should Have Updated the 3000 series in the Mid 2000's to compete against the Deere X400 thru X700 or the Simplicity Legacy XL Ie adding a Limited Cat 1 3point and Maybe 4WD. and You Might have seen something Like a XT4 being Produced right now. The Problem was they just went right on chugging away with the outdated 3000 series. It was a fine selling machine Until about 2005 and Numbers of New Purchases just slowly declined from that point. To the Point by 2010 it had really Poor sales. But there 2000/2500 series grew Leaps and Bounds over the competition as the 2500 series was a shaft driven Medium Garden tractor at a very competitive Price compared to the Deere X500 series and the Simplicity Conquest & Prestige. Even with the after 2011 2000/XT3 higher Price Tag it still costs Less then the Deere X500 series of the Simplicity Conquest/Prestige.

I will say I find the Hood design On the XT3 to Be a Better Hood design then the Cyclops era Tractors. It's really been a Nightmare to re-hood My 2182 While all the cyclops Hood Panels are basically the same Between the Super & the Standard Garden tractor, The Hood design was Not Very forgiving for Longevity Compared to Deere Hoods from Tractors from the same time Period

The XT3 Hood design is Nice that it a Once Piece system for the Main Body of the Hood. The Only thing I don't Like is I wish they would have stayed with the White/Cream Colored Hood But I can easily remedy that with Putting a Hood of from the Previous after 2011 2000 series. Just haven't Gotten around to it yet.

The ergonomics of the XT3 series really put the Pre 1998 Cub Cadets to shame in a Lot of ways. Yes it don't Have a 3 point or rear PTO Neither did the Pre 82 series Yes You could get a 515RPM PTO But there wasn't Much You could use it for On the Gear tractors from the Narrow & Wide Frames. Really the XT3 series today is the Modern 147.

The Problem is the Lack of aftermarket attachment Manufacturers today They have either gone out of Business or They Produce equipment for Sub Compact tractors and above today. If You still had Haban,Johnson & Brantly Bet You would see a Lot of the aftermarket attachments You saw for the Narrow & Wide frame Tractors on the XT3 series.

While Kwik-way is still around there Parent company wants to concentrate on front Blades. Kwik-way does still make a Loader & Backhoe for the Simplicity Legacy XL But supposedly the Legacy XL is going away in 2022 Production year.

In 2020 Simplicity eliminated the 36inch Belt driven PTO tiller and the Hydraulic or spring assist 1 Point Hitch(Sleeve Hitch) for the Conquest and Prestige and Only Offer a 36inch Tow Behind Agri-Fab tiller for them.

Deere is eliminating the 30inch Belt driven Mechanical tiller for the X500 series for the 2022 Production year. They will now Just have the 42inch Belt driven Hydraulic Pump 42inch Hydraulic tiller for the X580 & X590 tractors. While there will be no Tiller for the X570 Model In 2022(but I Think Deere Might adapt the 42inch Hydraulic tiller to Be Lifted off the Manual lift X570) Deere did that Back In the day when they Introduced a Hydraulic driven tiller for the Older Pre 1987 200 series tractors.

I really find the XT3 GSX or even the XT3 GS model to Be worth the Money and still be considered a Garden tractor that can work the Land
I agree in large part with this. The XT3 is a really really good value, and is basically just a 3000 series under the covers but without the hydraulics.

I think the missing link in the lineup is the failed 5000 and 7000 series that largely replaced the SGTs when the 3000 series was introduced.

The 3000 series, adjusted for inflation, are $10k+ tractors, and you're definitely up in SCUT territory there. If the 5000 series stuck around and picked up where the 3000 series left off, I think the lack of anything between the GTX2100/XT3 and the 5000 series would have been a lot less of an issue in 2010 when the 3ks went away.

As it stands, if you want a cub cadet machine to do garden type work with, your options are basically just the XT3 at this point. A few years back you could have gotten a yanmar or whatever, but even that's gone now.

The X700 deeres are a pretty niche product, IMO, and it's not such a big deal for MTD to have stopped competing with such low volume niche products (which is probably one of the reasons that even the XT3 will go away soon), but it kinda sucks that there's just nothing out there that's not basically a lawnmower once the XT3 goes away in 2023. A good SCUT (which they COULD have made) would have gone a long way to easing that pain.