Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 04-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAO65 View Post
You tell them Oak.

It gets old when people on this site put down those who like or want the newer Cubs. Not everyone has the ability, desire, or time to work on those older Cubs and are looking for a tractor that hasn't been beaten up or not taken care of by a previous owner. These newer dealer-type Cubs will last 20 years or so if they are taken care of by their owner.
o pcorn:
BX2670 with FEL
Old 04-26-2018, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Not to hijack this thread but.....

98% of the people on here are cheap a$$es..me being one of the biggest, just look at my China Freight tool collection.

This group isn't going to spend $5k on a mower...period and I'm one of them. I looked at a used GSX with 50 hours and a 54" fab deck for something around $3k. I tried trading a Kubota G1800 but they still wanted somewhere around 17-1800 difference. I backed out of the deal because I didn't want to spend that much on a machine. Now I think, maybe I should have because there is something I like about the looks of them.

Somewhere around 2010 I found this basket case 3205 on CL for $400.
DSC02749.jpg
It was on there for a week or two, so I contacted the owner and hauled it home. It didn't have a deck, didn't run and was missing a bunch of parts. I wanted it for the engine to put in my 1811. I got it running and really liked the foot pedal drive system. I purchased a bunch of parts from Rich Patton (awesome sponsor) and made it into a complete tractor.
DSC03047.jpg

Then I found the deck, added some decals and then a NOS cat 0 hitch to make it complete.
DSCN0211.jpg

Bottom line is this. I found out that this machine was a factory lemon because the liquid cooled Kawi engine had overheating problems and was hauled back to the dealer several times but never repaired. The original owners got so pissed at the dealer and ran it until the valve covers melted and started leaking oil then Cub refunded their money. I repaired the cooling issue and it has been pretty trouble free except I do have an oil leak up under the fender pan somewhere but I guess it's time to change the original 20 year old oil in the transmission anyhow. Yes, the engine was ran so hot it melted the valve covers and it still to this day has the original transmission oil in it so I'm thinking that is pretty darn good.

All I'm saying is I didn't care for the new stuff until I sat my cheap fat a$$ on this machine and now I like them. Yes, I still have a bunch of narrow frames, 1X9's, QL's, a ton of 82 series and a few Cyclops tractors today.

I don't mean to offend anyone but that is my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:53 PM

Oak,

That's one nice looking tractor. You are like a lot of the people on here in that you can fix those old gems. I can do basic maintenence repairs, and that is it. I know my limitations. For that reason, I must pay.

Sam,

I don't understand your emojis, but I'm taken you found my post hilarious and do not believe these new tractors will last. That's fair; time will tell.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:02 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
Yep, that is the same they used on the 3000 series.
Attachment 92357

It's sad that you can't pull a 3 bottom plow with it but it is also sad that you can't put a 5th wheel trailer hitch on a Corvette.

I don't know of any Cat 0 equipment being built today so why would Cub Cadet produce a tractor with a rear hitch?

Believe me, you'll get used to guys beating you up because you want a new machine. I just sit back, smile and think, ya, but your machine is a pos when it comes to mowing grass. Anything pre 82 series is a joke at mowing grass, 82 series wasn't much better but they did improve the Cyclops a little.

Okay rant over....LOL
But you can put one on VW bug.
http://www.ridelust.com/volkswagen-beetle-mini-camper/
Old 04-26-2018, 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator

I saw that George. That is way too cool.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:44 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
I saw that George. That is way too cool.
Back in the day ( early 70's) they had a pivot that attached to the rain gutter on a full size caddy also but they never really caught on.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:46 AM

I like Kubota and likely will get a BX tractor when/if my wife and I buy a small farm once we retire . If I was cutting large areas of grass and doing it for a living, I would look into the Cub Cadet Pro Z line. They are really nice and well built, and my dealer in Western Maryland is great.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAO65 View Post
You tell them Oak.

It gets old when people on this site put down those who like or want the newer Cubs. Not everyone has the ability, desire, or time to work on those older Cubs and are looking for a tractor that hasn't been beaten up or not taken care of by a previous owner. These newer dealer-type Cubs will last 20 years or so if they are taken care of by their owner.
I compared an old IH Cub 100 sitting in the same show room with the XT3 Garden Tractor and my conclusion was that the new XT3 has bigger, heavier and better designed components throughout the entire unit as a whole and it's around 200 lbs heavier. Yes, the old cub has the old cast iron tranny (a tough and stout unit no doubt) but the new one is cast iron too and I bet there are big steel gears in it to boot. The steering components are more robust on the new one, the front axles looked like they were 1" in diameter as opposed the 3/4" dia on the IH 100. The hood wont dent or rust. Turning radius on the new one is light years beyond the old ones. Dare I mention some of it might be made in China...so what. The Chinese are just as capable as anyone else and what is important is the quality spec that is demanded by the customer. In this case, it's Cub Cadet and their's is typically of a higher quality standard overall in the market they compete in. Like I said earlier, go check one out an XT3 for yourself and then be a judge. I've owned both IH and MTD cubs and overall, the verdict for me goes to modern manufacturing techniques, design and the smart use of materials were it counts on a product designed for the task it is intended to be used for.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Not to hijack this thread but.....

98% of the people on here are cheap a$$es..me being one of the biggest, just look at my China Freight tool collection.

This group isn't going to spend $5k on a mower...period and I'm one of them. I looked at a used GSX with 50 hours and a 54" fab deck for something around $3k. I tried trading a Kubota G1800 but they still wanted somewhere around 17-1800 difference. I backed out of the deal because I didn't want to spend that much on a machine. Now I think, maybe I should have because there is something I like about the looks of them.

Somewhere around 2010 I found this basket case 3205 on CL for $400.
Attachment 92358
It was on there for a week or two, so I contacted the owner and hauled it home. It didn't have a deck, didn't run and was missing a bunch of parts. I wanted it for the engine to put in my 1811. I got it running and really liked the foot pedal drive system. I purchased a bunch of parts from Rich Patton (awesome sponsor) and made it into a complete tractor.
Attachment 92359

Then I found the deck, added some decals and then a NOS cat 0 hitch to make it complete.
Attachment 92360

Bottom line is this. I found out that this machine was a factory lemon because the liquid cooled Kawi engine had overheating problems and was hauled back to the dealer several times but never repaired. The original owners got so pissed at the dealer and ran it until the valve covers melted and started leaking oil then Cub refunded their money. I repaired the cooling issue and it has been pretty trouble free except I do have an oil leak up under the fender pan somewhere but I guess it's time to change the original 20 year old oil in the transmission anyhow. Yes, the engine was ran so hot it melted the valve covers and it still to this day has the original transmission oil in it so I'm thinking that is pretty darn good.

All I'm saying is I didn't care for the new stuff until I sat my cheap fat a$$ on this machine and now I like them. Yes, I still have a bunch of narrow frames, 1X9's, QL's, a ton of 82 series and a few Cyclops tractors today.

I don't mean to offend anyone but that is my story and I'm sticking to it.
That's basically my path too. I love the old ones, but the new ones seem to offer so much more overall. I was convinced on getting an old wide frame until I drove the new one last week...nuff said on that. Thanks for sharing your story and comments.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:04 AM

I own an MTD-designed 3205 and an IH 1250.

I think what it boils down to for me is that the vintage equipment is built primarily with reliability and functionality in mind. The MTD design is built with more of an eye towards user friendliness, ergonomics, and is designed around a price point to more of an extent than the IH models.

The end result is that the IH unit wins out in the ruggedness in some areas while the MTD unit is a tractor that is easier to spend continuous hours of use on.

I have beat my 3205 up and it keeps on going. Aside from cosmetics and steering, the new XT3 units still share a lot in common with the 2000/3000 Series Cubs.

At the end of the day, I pick the 1250 if I want to take my time and enjoy the work being done. If I want it done quick and easily, I go for the 3205. I keep it around for the wife as well, since she is comfortable operating it - which is something to say considering she has zero experience with outdoor power equipment.

I have no doubt that a well maintained XT3 would last 20+ years.