Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Home Made

Notices

Old 01-20-2019, 06:47 PM

Default Wagon from old lawn mowers?

Has anyone built any wagons from old Cubs or other mowers? I remember on the farm, when an old truck died, a new wagon often appeared shortly after.

I've got a couple of old lawn tractor carcasses that are destined for the scrap pile and my old cart is pretty well shot. I'd love to wind up with a mini hay wagon a utility cart or 2.
Grumpy old 149/1A tiller, Trusty Rusty 106, & a Massey Ferguson 10 to work the garden, Tiny Snapper to mow the lawn. Slowly accumulating attachments and quickly driving the neighbors crazy on a half acre homestead.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:52 PM

Just shook hands on a deal to pick up 2 late 80's 13xx Cub lawnmowers with bad rear ends, I believe I've found my running gear.

I've never built a wagon so I'm hoping to get some advice from the farmers who have. I'm considering the following options for a frame -

A. - cutting the 2 tractor frames in half, point both front halfs in opposite directions. Figure out how to build a tongue and make it autosteer with the tie rods. Fix linkage on rear axle solid.

B. - using one tractor frame, removing the rear end, and making a solid rear axle from a 7/8 rod (I can make 2 wagons this way)

C. - Taking the front axle out of both mowers, run a pipe from pivot point to pivot point, and copy a more traditional commercial autosteer running gear?

D. - somehow use the pieces of both frames to make a fifth wheel type wagon.

E. - Get rid of all these (expletive) tractors and go buy a plastic cart with a monkey on it at a big box store. -- NOTE -- not my suggestion, but if this project isn't well on it's way ASAP, it could be my only option.

Stuff the wagon will need to do -

A. - Haul about 15 2 string bales of hay at least 300 yards up a slight grade, including a 90 degree turn up a 20% grade, through the 40 inch gate, and get backed into the greenhouse for a couple months in the winter while we use the hay.

B. - Get filled with flats of plants when the hay's gone and set some more. The last week it sets, I'll be pulling it straight in and out of the greenhouse to harden off the plants. At this point, I'll be pulling the wagon down the aforementioned grade, which is grass and may be wet, and making that 90 degree left onto level, navigating between a flower garden, a tree, and some other stuff I don't wanna run over.

C. - Drive on city sidewalks, in parks, and at a community garden. I'm pretty involved with my community and our Main Street program. There's about 6 times a year that they rope me into a project that would be a million times easier with a little truck that can go up and down wheelchair ramps, several of which are actually agriculture related.

D. - Look good. I'm a politician so it will probably be in a few parades.

E. - Hold up to whatever other abuse I can manage to throw at it on my half acre homestead from the last frost to the Halloween parade. We may haul produce to the farmers' market in here and there as well. I don't plan on overloading it too badly, but the scrap yard is a mile away and I'll probably go there at least once totally overloaded just to say I did it, to be 100% truthful.

If anyone knows the weight limit of standard 15x6x6 tires and CCC lawn tractor front ends, I'd sure appreciate the knowledge. This seems like a really good idea on paper, someone has to have built one and learned it's limits. I'd like to hear your ideas and input before I decide on a design, or if I'd be better off with 2 shorter wagons.

Really hoping for your input. Every square foot counts and I'm planning 6 projects ahead so I hope you don't think I'm nuts with all these details and far fetched plans.

-- SIDE NOTE-- Neither of my Cubs currently have brakes. They'll both have them before pulling a heavy wagon, but I have no idea how much weight they will stop or steer, nor am I aware of the optimum places to add weight to the cub to aid in stopping and steering traction.
Grumpy old 149/1A tiller, Trusty Rusty 106, & a Massey Ferguson 10 to work the garden, Tiny Snapper to mow the lawn. Slowly accumulating attachments and quickly driving the neighbors crazy on a half acre homestead.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:54 PM
Grand Member

If you want auto steer, your going to need more than tie rods
1- 1864 in pieces
QA36A Thrower, #1 Tiller w/ extensions, IH windbreaker, IH wheel weights, 44C mower deck, 50C mower deck, CCC 54" Blade, GT46 high vacuum deck, GT54 deck, Cub Tripple Bagger, Custom dozer blade, Custom suitcase weights, 3pt cultivator, lawn sweeper, original R-Bucket
Old 01-21-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue11 View Post
If you want auto steer, your going to need more than tie rods
The tongue is definitely going to be some work, but it should all come down to 3 pivot points.

Or, do I make it a fifth wheel type?
Old 01-22-2019, 08:23 AM
Grand Member

Since you are familiar with 4-wheel wagons you would know that they are very difficult to back up. A short 4-wheel wagon connected to a short wheelbase tractor is practically impossible to back up, even a short distance. I can vouch for that because I have one.

Your auto-steer idea SOUNDS great, but you will put a lot of time into something that likely is going to need a lot of tweaking to get to work right, if ever at all.

My advice would be to stick to a standard 2-wheel cart, whether you build it or buy it.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:32 AM

I have a 2 wheeled agri fab cart. It's not the right tool for the job. What I need is a 4 wheeled utility cart that sits level all the time and does not need the tongue to support weight. My girlfriend suggested that I buy one, too. I'd prefer to build one out of old lawnmowers that's a little bigger and stronger than the commercial ones I can buy for $1000, and I can make it look like a hay wagon. Where's your sense of adventure?

Yes, backing it up will take some skill. Really, though, it's gonna come out of the greenhouse at sunrise, and it's only coming in and out of the door, so it shouldn't be much more difficult than backing the haywagon into a barn, which is something I know I can do. Besides that, I'll probably be pulling the tomatoes in and out by hand.

As far as putting the time and effort into designing the steering system, the fine folks at Cub Cadet already did that. I just have to figure a way to attach the tie rod that would have gone to the steering box to the tongue's left/right pivot plate.

Here's an article I read this morning. I like his tongue design a lot.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/...n-zmaz76mazhar
Old 01-22-2019, 09:56 AM
Grand Member

Go to John Deere, and pick up this one,,
the bed is 4 feet by 4 feet,, and it looks good in parades,,,

DO NOT ask the price of a JD 21 utility trailer,,,
Old 01-22-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
Go to John Deere, and pick up this one,,
the bed is 4 feet by 4 feet,, and it looks good in parades,,,

DO NOT ask the price of a JD 21 utility trailer,,,
That won't fit through the gate but I like it! I need a rectangle, max width roughly 40 inches.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:13 PM

I started a similar wagon project last year using a golf cart front axle and homemade rear axle with golf cart wheels. Other prioritys have this on hold for now.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster View Post
I started a similar wagon project last year using a golf cart front axle and homemade rear axle with golf cart wheels. Other prioritys have this on hold for now.
any pics or things you've learned along the way?