Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 02-19-2019, 09:19 PM
Grand Member

Default My generation

Remember Slow Food?

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up, I informed him. 'All the food was slow.'
'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called "Home,'' I explained!

'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.
There was also Montgomery-Ward

My parents never drove me to soccer practice This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer.

I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow)

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 8. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.
I watched Elvis Presley for the first time on the Ed Sullivan TV show.
Mother said never again, his gyrations were were obscene.

I was 10 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had, mom made it from a recipe in the newspaper

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know, weren't already using the line.
I was 11 when we got it, before then we drove to town to make a call in a phone booth in front of the Rexall drug store.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home.
But milk was as well as butter.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents.
They had to get up at 6 AM every morning.

On Saturday, they had to collect the 42 cents from their customers.
Their favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren.

Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend :

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.

1 Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with table side jukeboxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines on the telephone
8 Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax (that was our hair product)
11.. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels... [if you were fortunate )
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15.S&H green stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older

If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You' re older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:20 AM

George, we had 1 TV station. WSPD, channel 13

1979 IH Cub Cadet 782 w/CH20, dual hydraulics, power steering and Cat 0 three point
Old 02-20-2019, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Damn George, I remember all of that.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 02-20-2019, 07:40 AM
Administrator

I'm a proud member of the older than dirt club.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 02-20-2019, 08:03 AM

I too am a member of the older than dirt club.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLause View Post
George, we had 1 TV station. WSPD, channel 13
We received 2,4, & 7 sometimes we got Toledo 11 & 13, if the rabbit ears were turned right with tin foil hung on them.
Channels were turned with a dial that had detente's and the on/off/volume
all were selected after we got up and walked to the TV set.
as us "mature" folks remember.

Then there were the "ghosts" that appeared when an airplane flew over, or the horizontal rolling of the pix when the TV decided that we needed to get up and "adjust" it.

Dina Shore chevy show & Lawrence Welk were weekend shows as well as milkeys movie party for the kids.
The Lone Ranger & Roy Rodgers were always Saturday viewing.
Not to forget Hopalong Cassidy and Tom Mix

Soupy Sales was always a lunch time show for the kids that came home from school for the South Eastern Michigan kids ( Detroit stations)
And his 3 puppets, Willy, White Fang & Black Tooth.
And I can't forget "the little Rascals"

Do any of you remember on the play ground when the girls played jump rope and said:
"Who you gonna marry? Tom Mix, what you gonna feed him? dry bones, who's gonna leave him? Miss Jones??
Good memories of a fading generation.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:10 AM
Grand Member

Damn.. I remember all of them. Practical experience with 23. Im too damn young to be called an Ole Fart George! WHY WHY ??? Did you post this??
Shakes fist
Old 02-20-2019, 09:19 AM

Never used Butch Wax. Only one I missed.

Dad's 122 w/42" cast deck, spring assist, lights,weights, rear lift
1250 w/hydraulic lift, lights,weights, spring assist.
50C deck converted to an A with front wheels
44C deck converted to an A with front wheels.
QA-36A
42" blade
Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 AM

Thanks. Now I feel older as I remember every one.

The first TV I remember was a round picture tube with the top and bottom flattened. The tuner was a crank without detents. The cabinet was solid mahogany with carvings. My Mom gutted the cabinet to turn into a liquor cabinet.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:11 AM

Definitely remember most ! especially the butch wax with a crew cut in the early 60's !