Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Rear Engine Rider & ZTR (RER)

Notices

Old 09-30-2018, 09:30 PM

Default A 2003 Z-Force 44 15 Years Later

Hi Folks just the story behind one mans ZTR.

I have 3/4 acre at the time loaded with trees and the wife summed it up correctly, "Every time you mow you get mad, please get a mower you like". I tried a Snapper single blade rider, and a John Deer Hydro-Static lawn tractor and loathed them both.

Cub Cadet ran a promo on these in 2003 for $2599.00 and could be had with an 18HP Intek or the 15HP Kawasaki. We couldn't locate a Kaw powered unit (believe me we searched including calling Cub Cadet) and the promo was going to expire so I went Intek. It took 6-years for the Intek to fail from the now known air box sealing problem.

Anyways before this the first thing I did besides try to destroy it (I never operated a ZTR before) was trade the useless cup holder and storage tray for another fuel tank. I guess that added weight but also balanced things?

My yard was not a better homes and garden example and besides a newbee operator it was kind of rough so the first thing I did was find out how easy it was to bend the deck caster brackets. The second was how to make bare spots in the lawn. Other than that I had fun instead of getting mad I finished in 1/2 the time and learned fast how to keep the casters on the deck and avoid making bare spots.

Then the engine smoked at startup pretty bad but I couldn't see it while mowing and it used 1/2-cup per 2 or 3 hours. The plugs looked like they were dipped in oil. I put up with it for a few more years before swapping it out.

I called Small Engine Warehouse asking for the most engine I could install and keep my muffler, bolt patterns, and pulley, and stay in alignment.
They set me up with this 23HP Briggs, an over production run unit for Husqvarna and the date code was very recent to the time.
All I can say is WoW! I can skip a mow or two more if I have too and take on the drain field growth without much protest from her.

An industrial maintenance tech I had to leave my mark on her so I found a larger capacity Mobil1 oil filter and plumbed in an oil pressure gauge. She runs 40psi cold and a tad less hot. I change the oil at the preferred frequencies but it is always new or fresh looking.

Also, I kept tossing belts because of things getting packed into covers over the outside blade spindle pulley covers. Sweet Gum balls really caused issues in there. So I raised them and no more accumulation.

OK, almost finished. You may have noticed the nice new looking deck. Its brand new and a little story goes with it too.
My learning curve and less than perfect lawn took their toll on the deck. I have hit some stobbs stopping me dead still from half speed and they bent the rear hangars back cracking the deck. I only found them after seeing a poor cut because my deck was not leveled.
A new deck from CC is over $1k !!!! I welded on her a few times but once you start this..........

I managed to keep tweaking on her but the baffles recently separated from the deck and you can imaging the noise I'm sure.

So compared to other larger decks the price is ridiculous and I called the company now being MTD, since its an original CC part they forwarded me to that side of the house.
In speaking with the rep and letting him know I was in total disbelief over the cost pointing out that the parts drawing describes it as an "Assembly" not a shell he put me on hold and came back agreeing telling me its a full assembly, spindles, pulleys, tensioners, but no belts. Being I have done public service I got a little discount and ordered.

What I got in the box was a bare shell. I called and worked my way up the ladder getting a call back. Long story short all my conversations were recorded and this rep letting me know deck assemblies are very rare and the cost for the deck was accurate but they felt I was inadvertently misled and gave me yet another larger discount, or I could return it. WoW.

So I am not unhappy. Heck even @1k its still cheaper than a new mower. And note--- there are only two more in existence and no other CC deck will swap in.
And with a good aligned set of blades and deck my lawn cut looks MUCH better.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:23 AM
Grand Member

Glad things turned out to your liking. Looks like you take care of your equipment. Thanks for sharing your story.

O,100,72,102,123,104,124,105
(2)2182s w/60in Habans
Old 10-01-2018, 01:18 PM

Thanks,
She is garage kept.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:22 PM

I have the same mower. I also added the second gas tank. The kawasaki engine just gave up. Got a low hr 23 hp Briggs from a Husqvarna put in it. Purchased the mower at an auction in 2006. I have mowed 3.5 unforgiving acres with it every season with it. It does not look as good as yours anymore. My 3 girls an I have all had turns at breaking it. Great mower. Hope it lasts another 10 years.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:32 PM
Grand Member

Looks like it is in great shape and after looking at the price of new ones, you are wise to fix up what you have. I got mine in '08 and so far haven't had any major issues, other than the pto and pto switch. Surprised that you did not get a fabricated deck on it (unless, maybe that is not an available option). The Salesman stated that mine should be good for 15 years and I said, heck no....I'm going to get 20-25 years out of it. Right now, I'm slightly over 200 hours on my meter, so I hope we are both looking at many more years for our Z's!!!!

BTW: I like your idea of elevating the pulley guards!!! Think I may give that a run on mine. Thanks for sharing!

Cub Cadet 123
Old 06-03-2020, 03:29 PM

Default hours?

I know this is an old post but since it is getting attention again...
First off your ZTR is beautiful! I have a similar vintage RZT23/50
I am curious what your hours were when you gave up on the engine., he 23/50 is over 1400 hours now but just keeps going. Mine is much more heavily warn than yours but the price was right - free. I am also curious what your service schedule on the hydro's is. My manual only states change the oil every 200 hours. Oil change on the hydros requires removing the hydros. Since my mother was the original owner of the 23/50 I know it did not have the hydro oil changed until 1200 hours. I replaced the center section on one hydro and the swash plate bearings (one had broken and no they are not really replaceable) on the other. so far they are holding up. the motor smokes occasionally on start up but I am never low on oil. engine oil changes are twice a season and were once a season for 1200 hours

I have other ZTR's for backup but I am excited every time the 23/50 makes it through another mowing!