Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 12-30-2018, 07:41 PM

Default New (to me) 108

I just picked up a 108 off of craigslist yesterday. Been looking for a wide frame gear drive for some time now. Seems the pullers have gobbled them all up around here. The thing runs and drives nicely and is in original paint. I picked up a blade, mule drive carriage, tire chains, and a nice 48” deck.

The deck is going on my 147 in the spring after I clean it up and paint it. it doesn’t have any holes and the baffles are still there around the blades. My 42” I used on my 147 for years now has plates scabbed everywhere and the baffles are gone.

I spent some time and went through the tractor today and fixed some things (loose or missing hardware etc) today. I noticed it runs strong but had a lot of rattles which I cleared up by replacing some missing bolts in the hood and grill and a loose muffler. But I still have one noise that is worrying me some.

Under load or when the engine is reved up I can hear a high pitch squeal or screech type noise. It only does it under semi heavy load continuous or revving for a short burst. It doesn’t seem like something rattling as I can hold my hand on like the hood and other things that typically rattle and it doesn’t clear up. I checked and it does it with the pto on or off so I don’t think it is that. The only thing I can think of is an exhaust valve.

I wouldn’t know how to check that. It is weird that it only does it under load. Engine runs great even when making the noise it doesn’t miss a beat. My only idea is possibly a valve guide and valve are binding or aren’t lubbricated. It has full clean oil and certainatly the dipper isn’t broken off or it would have grenaded by now. Any ideas?

I did notice some grass in the cooling fins today. Not much but a little blown in there. So, I’ll probably pull the tins off next and blow everything out good. Might go ahead and pull the head and just see what condition everything is in. Previous owner was a collector and we talked for awhile and he showed me a ton of cool attachments and cubs he had. He said that this motor was rebuilt recently. So I’m kinda interested to see inside the Kohler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2FB57071-88A3-4A54-99E6-D604A2DBE665.jpg (30.3 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg 36AC9EF0-1EAF-4D7E-8E3B-5AE4DACC0320.jpg (28.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg 03238078-2E8E-425B-9C33-8B491A2A6C16.jpg (41.2 KB, 208 views)
Old 01-02-2019, 11:36 AM
Grand Member

Congrats on your 108!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 01-02-2019, 05:18 PM
Grand Member

I'm going with a hunch, assuming you've tightened all the nuts and bolts you can easily reach and looked around for anything loose or rubbing.

Did you check to be sure all 4 of the engine mounting bolts are tight? If they are loose (as is quite common) the engine can move a bit, and under load this puts strain on the drive shaft, causing the flywheel screen to torque and rub the shroud.

I'll also say it's NOT the valve, so don't go there.

Report back on the engine bolts (two under the frame, the other two are above the axle in the support channel. Jack up the front of the tractor and let the axle hang, then pivot it down on each side to reach the bolt inside the channel. Ratcheting box head wrench or close quarter socket is generally needed. (9/16)

Report back.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:32 PM

Along those same thoughts check that the flywheel screen is not broke around the bolts and scrapping on the shroud although I think if that were the case the noise would be there all the time ! good luck !
Old 01-02-2019, 08:39 PM

Okay, thanks for the advice. I’ll check all that out tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:35 PM

Okay, I checked all 4 engine mounting bolts and they are all there and tight. Also crawled underneath to see if there was anything obvious rubbing or interfering with the driveline and everything is clear.

While I was working on it I decided to pull the shrouds and get the grass out of the cooling fins. Well, I found a whole mice nest in there so clearing that out should help it stay a little cooler. Also attempted to change the spark plug. But upon removing it I saw it had been helicoiled and of course it came out with the plug. I couldn’t get it off without ruining the helicoil so I just reinstalled it.

I’m not a big fan of helicoils so I decided to order a good used cylinder head from eBay tonight along with a new head gasket. I saw the head gasket was leaking a little so figured it was a good time to do that. It seems a lot of these flat heads have stripped spark plug holes. My original has a helicoil in it and my Massey Ferguson 10 had a stripped one too which I just ende up replacing the head on too.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:00 PM

My new head and head gasket came in for the 108 the other day. I removed the old cylinder head and found that 2 of the head bolts were just finger tight and two more were barely tight. All four on the front PTO side of motor. I also saw where oil was blowing out of gasket on that side and it was also coming up through the loose bolt holes. I installed the new head and gasket and tightened everything down to spec. Then I put in a new plug in it and fired it up.

Runs great and doesn’t leak oil/gas around head anymore at all. It also oddly enough fixed the squeak noise I was hearing under load. No strange noises at all now. I am assuming that the noise I was hearing was the air blowing out around the gasket and bolt holes. I guess that was making a whistling or something. Kinda makes sense because cylinder pressure would be highest under load causing it to blow more air out. Would have never guessed though.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:48 AM

Cool! Good job on fixing it!