Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-10-2019, 04:35 PM

Default 129 transmission is making loud grinding noises

Can't believe it. Just spent over a year pulling out the old engine (rod broke last summer), separated the tractor, pulled the pump and replaced the cork gasket, got a rebuilt engine, put it in and got everything hooked up again (over the course of a few weeks), and finally am at the point where just a few minor adjustments were needed and now, when starting it for the 2nd time today, I hear this loud noise coming from the trans. It was running fine. I started it for the first time a few days ago as per the break-in procedure, ran great, re-torqued the head bolts last night and today wanted to adjust the cam bracket since the tractor creeps forward. Started up just awhile ago and ran fine, but then ran out of gas since I forgot to open the petcock. Next time I tried to start, I hear the loud grinding noises (more like screaming). If I turn the motor real slow, I can hear clicking noises - seems especially to affect the shift control / trunnion shaft area when turning the engine real slow by hand. When jacked up, the rear wheels turn fine with no noise coming from the transaxle. No problem with the driveshaft (that would have showed up right away I'd think).

Any suggestions? I'm NOT about to take this thing apart again, but neither am I ready to quit on it after spending over a grand already. For one thing, I'd have no idea where to even begin if there is a trans problem. I feel sick over this after coming so close to getting it running again. Will contact the guy who built the engine since he was willing to come out to check the high rpm speed for me. Might as well let an expert listen to it and go from there. If this is a serious trans problem, unfortunately I think I'm done and the Cub goes for sale as is - with a whole bunch of brand new things on it - basically completely new electrical system, plus lots of other stuff - then there is also the rebuilt engine from a never used block.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:03 PM
Grand Member

Bolts the wrong way in the flex disc hitting the charge pump??
Fan too far forward hitting the lift arm??
Do you hear it when the starter spins the engine over?
I'd pull the tunnel cover off 1st and have a look see.
Are you sure it's the transmission making the noise.?
In gear, forward or reverse?
Or in neutral or constantly?
Old 06-10-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsruskw View Post
Bolts the wrong way in the flex disc hitting the charge pump??

Nope....nothing hitting

Fan too far forward hitting the lift arm??

Nope....everything clears

Do you hear it when the starter spins the engine over?

Yes..at this point I hate to even try to turn it over - doubt if it would actually

I'd pull the tunnel cover off 1st and have a look see.

Have it off and have been looking...don't see anything. Nothing changed (at least that I did) since it was running real well just a few minutes before the noise started

Are you sure it's the transmission making the noise.?

Sure sounds like it - definitely NOT coming from the front

In gear, forward or reverse?

Makes no difference, although when turning the motor by hand the 'clicking' sound coming from the trans does not seem as pronounced.

Or in neutral or constantly?

Tried it in all different positions while trying to start the engine - same noise. Really afraid to go on with it since I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the new rebuilt motor, especially if something would happen in the trans that would result in not allowing the driveshaft to spin - could damage the motor. I have no idea what's going on in there and have absolutely no experience with the transmission other than having just changed the cork gasket.

See answers above....my replies are right below your questions...thanks for responding. Hope I can get to the bottom of this. I really hate to give up now after so much time, expense, and work.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Grand Member

Was the tractor towed? When the rod broke?

It's highly unlikely that something is broken in the axle itself. If the hydro is broken, you can replace it for under $100. If you can replace the cork gasket, you can replace the hydro with a good used one.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:59 PM

Never towed....the rod broke here while I was using it, and it never moved from my garage after that. I picked up the rebuilt engine at the guy's shop.

So another separation and having the trans on a jack, etc.? I don't think so. I wrestled with that thing for days to get it out and back in. Somebody else, that I'll gladly pay, is more than welcome to fix it. Otherwise I guess it'll have to go for sale. Problem is, I'll take a bath on what I paid for the rebuilt engine and everything else. This whole thing just stinks since I was so counting on using the tractor again. To come so close and now have something go bad in the trans is heartbreaking.

Is there a way to know for certain what happened and thus what level of repair work would be required? It almost started awhile ago without making any unusual noise in the trans, but then it got worse again. It just seems like it's all tied in with the tron shaft area. When I turn the motor slowly, that whole assy seems like it sort of jerks.

Is this the only thing that might need replacing? https://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/A...b-4691014ae5b9

Still, assuming separation is necessary to do it. And, of course, draining the trans. Just put all new fluid in it.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Grand Member

Any way for you to post a video of this noise even if it’s just you spinning it slowly?

Also, what was your biggest struggle on splitting it? Did you leave the rear tires on? You should have. All you need is just barely enough elevation to take the weight off of everything, put frame on stands, and roll it out with everything disconnected. I know it’s not as easy as it sounds sometimes but you’ve already done it once so you WILL be faster at it the second time if needed. Manual shows giant adjustable wrench on the hitch for leverage and maneuver and it works great. No worries man you can do it but let’s make sure what’s going on first!
(2) Original, 100, 102, 124, 73, 800, #1 and #2 cart, brinly plows, disk, IH184, IH244, 1948 F Cub
Old 06-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Grand Member

I don't know what to tell you. I understand your disappointment putting a new engine in it only to find another unexpected issue.

When the rod broke, you were using it, I presume cutting grass? How did you get it into the garage if you didn't tow it? How did you do that?

You had the rear wheels on jack stands to adjust the neutral. That worked with no noise, correct? Then when you put it on the ground, it made noises? did you ever attempt to drive it despite the noise? Could it just be hydro whine?
Old 06-10-2019, 08:48 PM

Hey Alvy,

Thanks for reaching out to me on this unexpected problem You must have been reading my mind - have just been sitting here thinking about doing a short video and posting it to youtube. I did that once before when trying to troubleshoot engine problems (was running poorly for over a year...another long story!) I'll get a short video together so you or anyone else can hear how it sounds when trying to start - probably not tonight anymore, and I'll upload it to my youtube channel, then link it here.

As to the separation, yeah...left the tires on...just had trouble rolling the back end out BUT the likely issue with that was that there was basically no weight in the front. The old engine had already been removed. So, sort of the same issue with recoulping - the new engine was not yet ready and so when trying to recouple, the front kept wanting to move - had to brace it against my workbench with a menagerie of 2x4s, heavy walkway pavers, etc. so it wouldn't move. So, with that in mind, now that there's ample weight in front of the tractor with the new motor and everything back in place, I imagine that alone would help. Still...in no way would look forward to it...let's determine first if it really needs it (?)
Old 06-10-2019, 08:48 PM

No need to split the tractor on a 129 to change hydro unit, unbolt trans linkage, knock the roll pins out of the brake levers,put a pan under it remove filter and pick-up tube let it drain a while and pull the hydro out through the tunnel !easy peasy ! but first I'd undo the drive shaft coupling and turn the hydro by hand to verify that's where it's coming from . You can pull the hydro pump that way in about a half hour ,you'll lose some fluid but if the drain pan is clean run it through a paint strainer and reuse it if it's new !
Old 06-10-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdad View Post
I don't know what to tell you. I understand your disappointment putting a new engine in it only to find another unexpected issue.

When the rod broke, you were using it, I presume cutting grass? How did you get it into the garage if you didn't tow it? How did you do that?

You had the rear wheels on jack stands to adjust the neutral. That worked with no noise, correct? Then when you put it on the ground, it made noises? did you ever attempt to drive it despite the noise? Could it just be hydro whine?
Hi Frank...ok.....let me explain all this best I can.....when the rod broke, yes, I was mowing, but also VERY fortunately I was within 20-30 feet of my garage rather than somewhere in the middle of the yard (most of which is on a slope...yikes...WOULD have had to get it towed!) So...I was able to just push it back into the garage.

Ran the new motor fine the other day - sounded like some carb adjustment needed but otherwise fine. Today, jacked it up and had both rear wheels off..started up...no problem...saw the wheels moving when the shift was in neutral and so was about to adjust the cam bracket when the engine stalled out. My fault...had forgotten to open the petcock - I keep it closed when not using the tractor due to a very slow leak somewhere in the carb body. Then, opened the petcock, tried to start again and noticed this loud grinding / screeching sort of noise. Turned it off and started checking around but didn't see anything wrong. From that point on, tried to restart several times but always encountered the same noise - not always as loud though AND it seems like if I only push the brake pedal down part way the noise is not near as bad. AND, as I think I already mentioned - it seems like the noise is coming from the trunnion / shifting assy. All that sort of jerks when I rotate the engine manually. So, did NOT try to drive it..actually once I encountered these noises I never got it turned over (started) again. Seems like it actually doesn't want to at this point - perhaps because the driveshaft is encountering resistance? Engine sounds like it's laboring trying to start...last thing I want to do is screw up the new motor (perhaps did already? yikes!!!) I'm frothing over here, so-to-speak, both in my the brain and at the keyboard. This is all like a bad dream...maybe wake up tomorrow and the Cub'll run....