Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 05-01-2021, 10:47 PM

Default Concensus on rebuilding PS control valve on 1772

My power steering control valve is starting to leak pretty bad. The last new one I bought was about 10 yrs. ago, and was almost 600.00. They are more than that now. There are sellers on Ebay selling a rebuild kit for it. I have heard over the years, that these things aren't rebuild able, but yet you can buy the kit to do it so. Is there anyone out there that has successfully rebuilt one, or is it not worth the effort? If you do rebuild it, and wind up with one that is a little less leaky than when you started? This is the same valve on just about all the Supers from 1572, 1872, 2072,etc.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-02-2021, 07:01 AM
Administrator

For the record, I have NOT attempted this. My son has a 2072 with Power Steering and is running into the same leaking issue(s).

I have read several posts about rebuilding these units, with a "repair kit", and if I recall, they had success. It is a time consuming, and tedious project. It seems these guys, took their time, being patient, and went through it.

If you are going to attempt this, make a log of how things came apart, and take lots of reference pictures

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 05-02-2021, 07:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Dave, I have rebuilt one and it works great.

Here is the link.
https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/...ad.php?t=50629

The repair manual.
https://www.parker.com/literature/27...%20service.pdf

Seal kit.
https://www.messicks.com/part/21-sk000011/sealkit

Spring kit.
https://www.messicks.com/part/21-401443x1/spring-a

I'm due to give you a call anyhow.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:26 AM

I've rebuilt many power steering units and went through quite a few customer's that tried to reseal themselves without paying attention to detail.

It's easy enough to do, but different manufacturers have different designs for some internals. Some have tiny check balls in the rotor disc, others have a check ball under a special bolt (that looks like the rest of the bolts holding it together) that doesn't get noticed. Most have some small coil springs, and have a set of opposing leaf springs for "return to center".

If you can identify your particular unit (they are used on many machines) find a clear parts breakdown and watch a few GOOD youtube videos.

At work, it was a one hour job, including cleaning and a quick massage for all surfaces on a flat plate. It's a job well within the scope of most guys that enjoy tinkering with tools and machines. Devils in the details.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Here is probably one of the best links I have seen. Don't pay attention to the shaft being shorter. That's a common problem with deere guys.

https://www.mytractorforum.com/threa...n-pics.208848/
Old 05-02-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
Here is probably one of the best links I have seen. Don't pay attention to the shaft being shorter. That's a common problem with deere guys.

OK, I will give 'er a whirl. Thanks. I want my sickle mower back too. You caught me in a weak moment. !
Old 05-02-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
I've rebuilt many power steering units and went through quite a few customer's that tried to reseal themselves without paying attention to detail.

It's easy enough to do, but different manufacturers have different designs for some internals. Some have tiny check balls in the rotor disc, others have a check ball under a special bolt (that looks like the rest of the bolts holding it together) that doesn't get noticed. Most have some small coil springs, and have a set of opposing leaf springs for "return to center".

If you can identify your particular unit (they are used on many machines) find a clear parts breakdown and watch a few GOOD youtube videos.

At work, it was a one hour job, including cleaning and a quick massage for all surfaces on a flat plate. It's a job well within the scope of most guys that enjoy tinkering with tools and machines. Devils in the details.
Thank you for your reply. Do you have a particular rebuild kit that you reccomend?
Old 05-02-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bedell View Post
For the record, I have NOT attempted this. My son has a 2072 with Power Steering and is running into the same leaking issue(s).

I have read several posts about rebuilding these units, with a "repair kit", and if I recall, they had success. It is a time consuming, and tedious project. It seems these guys, took their time, being patient, and went through it.

If you are going to attempt this, make a log of how things came apart, and take lots of reference pictures
I could not possibly do it anymore as I am blind now and can just barely see to mow but I have a mechanic friend that I can get to do it. I just wanted to know if it was worth rebuilding. I threw one away a few years ago on the advice they couldn't be rebuilt.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post

I looked at it. It is very informative. In my better years I could have done it no problem but my sight has got so bad I have a hard time even mowing. I am having a total knee replacement Wed. and then the other one 3 months later. I need both hips replaced and at least one or more back surgeries just to get me back to halfway normal. I have lost over a hundred pounds since you saw me last because I knew they would never do Knee surgery until I lost weight. I have already had both shoulders rebuilt with new bearings, seals & gaskets. I already have 16 scars from surgery that you can see and quite a few you can't see up in my head and now I'm fixin to get a few more. My body is in the same shape as the PS control valve on my 1772. I bought a brand new one when I put PS on the 982 but I think you can rebuild one for 10% of the cost of a new one. I'll get back to you after the first knee surgery.

Dave

PS: I got new tines for the #48 IH tiller from that place in CA and my grandson put them on. They will make it till like new again.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:35 PM

I'd just check if the kit is cheaper on-line, from a hydraulic shop or the JD dealer. It's a Ross, so should be easy to get.