Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kohler Engines

Notices

Old 03-28-2021, 01:20 AM

Default M18 Overheated

I am looking at a 1810, with the M18 and owner admitted it overheated and it was his fault for not running WOT when cutting grass.

So I have a question for the masses.
Grass packed in on the bottom of side panels, not pulling in enough air, engine overheated and shut off. So now it won't start,
very low compression is what he said. I'm new to these little motors so my brain goes straight to V8 thinking, which is why I"m asking
the question. Besides the obvious to me, V8 brain. So both cylinders are low. So both head gaskets blow at the same time? not buying that but... Warped heads, again... both same time? he thought it might be the jugs/cylinders warped/deformed/egg shape. I would guess if it melted the pistons, it would most likely show aluminum on the plugs, but I guess they could have just deformed/not so round anymore? So my main brain block, is both cylinders are low. I guess one thing could've happened to one side, then another problem on the other side.
It's priced right, one owner, kept inside, a lot of the service done at a Cub Dealer, he did minor things, oil change and plugs,etc. It's in very nice shape.
What say you on the possible engine low compression problem.
I told him I would give him an answer about buying it by Sunday night, as he wants to put it up for sale. I have so many things to work on, just not sure I want to take this on. The whole motor could be nothing but a boat anchor.
And parting it out, is not something I would do, don't like to see the old iron become "Dust In The Wind"

Thanks much, Bryan

Old 03-28-2021, 07:55 AM
Administrator

I am thinking this tractor has some major engine issues.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 03-28-2021, 08:07 AM
Grand Member

Go get it before somebody else does and you will kick yerself in the ass till your last breath!
Now don't give big money for it, that is stupid, what does he want?
and what is the overall condition udder than it plum don't run.
Those motors don't have much compression to start with.
it prolly killed the mag coil as they are the first thing to heat up as you will find it packed solid with debris.
yes there is the rare ocassion that something catastropic happened but the majority or the time it is something simple.
They are a flat head, simple design.
they run good, sound better, and are torque monsters.
ok so they sip a little more fuel than modern day stuff, no problem.
Report back when it is in yer posission we will walk ya through fixing it.
But again don't let your enthausum over ride common sence as far as price.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
Go get it before somebody else does and you will kick yerself in the ass till your last breath!
Now don't give big money for it, that is stupid, what does he want?
and what is the overall condition udder than it plum don't run.
Those motors don't have much compression to start with.
it prolly killed the mag coil as they are the first thing to heat up as you will find it packed solid with debris.
yes there is the rare ocassion that something catastropic happened but the majority or the time it is something simple.
They are a flat head, simple design.
they run good, sound better, and are torque monsters.
ok so they sip a little more fuel than modern day stuff, no problem.
Report back when it is in yer posission we will walk ya through fixing it.
But again don't let your enthausum over ride common sence as far as price.
George, The tractor has been garage kept. Condition is great, not a factor at all. I forgot, has hub caps too.
He has the Owner's Manual, Service Manual, Price is stupid low, well
South of 5 Ben's. I've searched for motors (used M18's), and they
are more than double the price he is going to sell it too me for,
since I bought the 1863 and another plow from him , he's giving me a great deal.
I love the tractor, and I told him yesterday I was 95% sure I was going to buy it,
just wanted to see what was out there, as
far as used motors and prices, if that's the route I have to take.
I have limited knowledge of these motors, but as I briefly mentioned,
in my original post, I find it hard to believe, that when it died,
what ever happened, happened to both cylinders at the same time.
So that's why I think, it might not be as bad as I first thought,
But again it's all speculation till I tear into it? My biggest hang up
is I have no inside space for it, as it's just a shame to cover it up,
and set it outside. I have to move a Sh#* Ton of tractors around
to get it inside, my back is not going to be happy,
but I'll do what I have to do (covered outside) for now. Need another tarp, fresh out. Harbor Freight, here I come. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Rolland, thanks as well, I'm still thinking a little like you, I know how my luck goes, yep a M18 boat anchor for sure.
I know I can flip it and make money, but that's not what this is about to me. Guess I'll pull the trigger/roll the dice.
George, I didn't mean to leave you hanging, He's letting me have it for $200.00 so yes it's a no brainer, I know.
But I didn't want it to be should I buy it or not thread. I know it's hard to diagnose without more info,
but was trying to get thoughts on what might be wrong. That happened so now I'll post I'm going back to get it on Tuesday.
Getting the 1250 is what made this more difficult than it should have been. Thanks again. Bryan
Old 03-28-2021, 06:12 PM

That is pretty darn cool Bryan. I know its easy for me to say from
2000 miles away but that is a score I would love to have. Having just
spent some significant time inside an M18 I was impressed. Pretty darn
simple inside. I hope you find that one to be a simple diagnosis and fix.
I might have missed it in the original post, even though it doesn't run
does it turn over or is it seized up?

Ken
Old 03-28-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Valley G View Post
That is pretty darn cool Bryan. I know its easy for me to say from
2000 miles away but that is a score I would love to have. Having just
spent some significant time inside an M18 I was impressed. Pretty darn
simple inside. I hope you find that one to be a simple diagnosis and fix.
I might have missed it in the original post, even though it doesn't run
does it turn over or is it seized up?

Ken
It is free, that's the one thing that gives me hope that's it's not total toast. George also had some positives as well.
But I still tend to lean towards Roland's side as.. to coin the phrase
"if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all".
This Gentleman I'm buying everything from is just a very nice person, and a pleasure to deal with, and talk to. We chatted for over an hour yesterday,
when I picked up the 1863. While I was down putting a few straps on the tractor and plow in the bed, he comes down with 2 gallons of Hy Trans,
a rear end cover gasket, and a brand new scrape blade for the plow, and said here, you can take this stuff along with you too. Very cool indeed.
EDIT: I did miss out on a 784 that he has as well, was a little late seeing the add. It was rough and outside for many years, but was only a $100.00
had front hydraulics as well. He also had the Hydraulic angle plow for it for $200.00 which he sold to a different person than the 784.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:32 PM
Grand Member

I'll walk you through it as I have done others, and you got help with the other people catching my mistakes Ha,LOL!
As long as it didn't seize up, it should be not that bad of a repair.
I honestly don't think he actually overheated it, I think it was maybe hot, but something else gave up that stalled it.
The price is right and from what you say it is not beat to heck.
Happy for you.
oh,
nice hudcaps are worth the price of the whole shebang.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
I'll walk you through it as I have done others, and you got help with the other people catching my mistakes Ha,LOL!
As long as it didn't seize up, it should be not that bad of a repair.
I honestly don't think he actually overheated it, I think it was maybe hot, but something else gave up that stalled it.
The price is right and from what you say it is not beat to heck.
Happy for you.
oh,
nice hudcaps are worth the price of the whole shebang.
Yeah, I had forgot about the Hubcaps. Thanks George, I'll be asking. If it was a Chevy V8 I'd be golden but...
Old 03-28-2021, 06:40 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan S View Post
Yeah, I had forgot about the Hubcaps. Thanks George, I'll be asking. If it was a Chevy V8 I'd be golden but...
We share that love also, since I was knee high to a dip stick
Old 03-30-2021, 11:21 PM

Well I got the 1810 home tonight, a little after 8PM here. I pulled the dip stick out "little George", and the oil is almost medium brown,
still transparent some and I smelled it, and it is not burnt. There seems to be a lot of oil spray on the engine from what I could tell with a flash light.
Going to cover it up as it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. But I was glad to see the oil was OK looking and wasn't burnt.