Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 12-18-2020, 05:09 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfedeleo View Post
Ironman, George, Thanks for the direction to start looking. Battery is somewhat old but it was fully charged on a battery tender before taking that video.

Lol George caught the pajamas haha! I get to work from home today so I"m still in them.

The jerkiness on the brake pedal was something I started to do as a habit when it started all going down hill a few months ago. Some times "pumping" it liked that would get it going, but now I know better since I discovered what an interlock switch was and did heh heh. I actually just had it running 2 days ago to haul a few wood rounds.

I will try out those steps in a few weeks and see what happens. Always wanted to try a valve adjustment but never had a reason...Happy Holidays!
Do try the jumper cables to rule out an old/weak battery.
Also Guyina 4x4 had some excellent suggestions on compression release and valve adjustment.
I'm not familiar with that engine, so others have made good points on slow cranking.
FWIW:
By you using your foot on the safety switch as you do, while holding the key in the start position, you are doing the same thing as holding the safety switch down and repeatedly turning the key to start position, which I think you have discovered.
Happy holidays to you and everyone!
Old 03-16-2021, 10:22 PM

Lol wow it's March already. Finally got around to this. I bought a new starter and yes it was the starter for the original problem but.... now it cranks and cranks but won't start. I sprayed some starter fluid into where the air filter sits on and it did fire up momentarily so I assume that means the spark plugs are working.

My next thought would be pull the hose coming out of the fuel pump and see if it is pumping fuel maybe? Or Carburetor? is this a valve problem? Not sure what the correct sequence to troubleshooting this would be. I know we need spark, fuel and air so this is probably something with fuel.

If this were my Honda Rebel I always need to pull of the carb and clean it once in a while if it sits too long but this fuel in the mower was from December (and with stabilizer) and I did use the mower in December.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Lol wow it's March already. Finally got around to this. I bought a new starter and yes it was the starter for the original problem but.... now it cranks and cranks but won't start. I sprayed some starter fluid into where the air filter sits on and it did fire up momentarily so I assume that means the spark plugs are working.

My next thought would be pull the hose coming out of the fuel pump and see if it is pumping fuel maybe? Or Carbeurator? is this a valve problem? Not sure what the correct sequence to troubleshooting this would be. I know we need spark, fuel and air so this is probably something with fuel.

If this were my Honda Rebel I always need to pull of the carb and clean it once in a while if it sits too long but this fuel in the mower was from December (and with stabilizer) and I did use the mower in December.
I do have one of these, but picked it up last fall, never did anything
with it yet, so lets just cover some basics.
1) Is there gas in it? I know there was when you put it away, but did you
ever see the movie Gremlins? Just saying.
2)If there is a fuel shut off on it, did you close it and forget to turn it back on?
3)If yes to the above, take fuel line off before fuel filter, place open end of fuel line in something and crank it over.
If yes, getting fuel, re-attach and un-hook after fuel filter and repeat.
4) If yes to all the above, take fuel bowl off and see if there's any
fuel in the fuel bowl, put a rag or a small bowl/pan under the carb to catch the drippings,
make sure the float dropped down,
when you took the bowl off. If yes to the above,
then take the carb off and clean it like you
with your Honda.
The tell tale sign was that it ran on Either, so it's not getting fuel
for some reason.
One last thing I thought of, is I think these have a vacuum, or use a vacuum set up to draw fuel?
Not really sure but I remember reading about that somewhere here on the newer stuff.
Again not too familiar with the new stuff yet,
as I'm just wading in the shallow end with those.
Oh and NO SMOKING!
Old 03-20-2021, 11:52 AM

So after removing the carb I decided to first check the fuel pump. I removed hose before the pump and it flowed via gravity so all clear there. After the pump while cranking I had nothing. I bought new fuel pump put it on, primed it and started cranking. Nothing there either so now I think I have a compression issue.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:26 PM

Well I hooked up a gauge to spark plug receptacle that side of the mower (It's a twin) and was getting 150 on the pressure reading so pressure is good. Back to the fuel pump and the valve cover that the hose comes out of?
Old 03-20-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Well I hooked up a gauge to spark plug receptacle that side of the mower (It's a twin) and was getting 150 on the pressure reading so pressure is good. Back to the fuel pump and the valve cover that the hose comes out of?
One thing you need to check. Make sure that the brake is on,
PTO not engaged, etc. could be a safety switch/interlock
(what we called them on the offset presses I used to run)
so many of them on these tractors.
This happened to me one time with my 2182.
I didn't realize that the parking brake had come un-done.
The 2182 would start/run on a prime, but since the safety
switch was not active, the fuel pump was not pumping fuel.
Not sure the setup on the 1554, but that would be something
for you too look at. I'll keep trying to help, again not familiar
with this model yet.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:27 PM

Hey Bryan thanks for the input. Yes brake was on and PTO was pushed in. (not engaged). Not sure with all the fiddling I did but now it is sort of spurting out of the fuel up. Is valve clearance something I should look at? Not sure if valve clearance would play a factor.

The next thing I may try is to remove the tube going from the OHV cover to the fuel pump and see if I feel any air coming through.

How should this feel exactly should it feel like a strong puff of air?
Old 03-20-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Hey Bryan thanks for the input. Yes brake was on and PTO was pushed in. (not engaged). Not sure with all the fiddling I did but now it is sort of spurting out of the fuel up. Is valve clearance something I should look at? Not sure if valve clearance would play a factor.

The next thing I may try is to remove the tube going from the OHV cover to the fuel pump and see if I feel any air coming through.

How should this feel exactly should it feel like a strong puff of air?
That's a good question.
So I went outside and took the tarp off mine,
pulled the short vertical hose off that goes into the cover and cranked it
over, had my thumb over the end of the hose, felt
nothing. Put hose back on went full throttle,
pulled the choke out and mine fired right up. Did you try replacing the fuel filter?
When you took fuel line off before the filter, and dropped it down below the tank plane,
so it would gravity feed, did you get a trickle or have a good flow (insert joke here)
There would be some fuel in the line, due to it's length. (this is going wrong in so many ways)
If just a trickle, loosen fuel cap, to make sure vent isn't plugged in cap.

EDIT:You can use a universal fuel filter if you don't have a Cub shop nearby.
You'll want one for a 1/4" line, they are about 3" - 3.5" long.
Any parts store should be able to help you. Best bet is to take yours
along to get it right the first trip.

EDIT: (2) I went and looked up the diagram.
It's a pulse pump, so probably won't feel much draw on it.
Double check the vacuum line to make sure it's OK
not clogged, isin the cover right, grommet is OK, and not
cracked/broken/damaged in any way. Still thinking fuel filter.

EDIT: (3) When you cleaned the carb up, did you happen to clean
and check out the gas solenoid, to make sure it's working properly?
They can get gummed up and not open up, to allow fuel into the bowl.
If not getting proper power, same result. Also did you take the fuel line
off where it goes into the carb and crank the motor over with the
hose in a pan/container to see if it's pumping fuel? Might take a few seconds (5-10) for it to pump out fuel.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:19 PM

Just wanted to post this since I didn't want to be one of those threads that never tells you the ending So I'm all good and just in time for the season lol. First problem was the starter, second problem was the fuel pump. Third problem I think was that maybe the fuel pump was primed properlyor maybe I had air in the line somewhere or vacuum problem? Anyway I went out to the garage, pulled the gas cap off just to let some air in, took one of those medicine syringes (the kind you use to give newborns medicine) sucked up some gas and made sure there was gas from the line going into the carb all the way back to the pump. I cranked it and the gas was spurting out. I used the syringe and put gas into the carb by holding it upside down and injecting it into the tube. Hooked it all back up and it low and behold she ran for a good while and then some. Thanks again for the help. This started just after Christmas and it's now April lol!