Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 05-26-2023, 12:21 AM

Default 3205 (w/Kawasaki), two 25A fuses alternate blowing

The fuses blow alternating back and forth between them. I have striped the mower down and exposed about 95% of the wire harness un-tapped everything and found no exposed wires or obvious shorts anywhere. I unplugged everything (every bulb, safety switch, starter, everything) from the harness except the ignition switch and connecting the red wire feeding from the starter post directly to the battery and the fuses still blows. It is fine in the on position it is the second position "Start 1" I think when it blows, the position before you crank the starter. With everything removed per the above the experience is the same. One fuse will blow, you can replace it and then the other blows, and then back to the first one...without changing anything. Ordered a new Ignition Switch will get it tomorrow but welcome any suggestions on how to better troubleshoot this.

With all plugged in I can turn to on, the fuel pump will prime it all up and it will start but obviously only run for a minute or so until it runs out of fuel because the fuse blows and the fuel pump stops. The next time it won't crank because the fuse inline with the starter blows....
Old 05-26-2023, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Welcome to OCC...........

Obviously, you have a big time short when it blows a 25A fuse.

Do have a DVM or VOM, and know how to use it ??

Here is the Operational Image of the 3205 Ignition Switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3205.jpg (14.6 KB, 59 views)

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 05-26-2023, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Do you have the schematic? If not, here is the link for it.
https://www.ccpartsnmore.com/cub-cad...ing-schematics

Did you check the headlights for any burned wires near the muffler area?

Have you pulled the fender pan off yet? There are a bunch of wires under there too. I noticed on my 3205 and all my 3000's that the area I have the arrow pointed to has had the wires pinched so check that area good also.

DSCN0190 - Copy.jpg

I have a question for the schematic wiz kids?
Why do they put a fuse in the ground wire?
Where do the rear lights, headlights and hour meter get their ground from? On the schematic I have it doesn't show where it's connected or if a machine ground is used.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:41 AM

I have used a headlight bulb that draws a lot of current jumped across the fuse holder will be off or dim normally but will come on bright when shorted to ground. Saves blowing a lot of fuses.

1979 IH Cub Cadet 782 w/CH20, dual hydraulics, power steering and Cat 0 three point
Old 05-26-2023, 10:32 AM

What a great forum, I did not expect such a quick response!
--Thanks for the ignition switch diagram, my issue definitely is at the move to the "On" position. Also thanks for the schematic, I had pulled it from a link from this forum last week when I first found it.
--I have removed every bulb, headlight bulbs, taillight assemblies and the 4 dash bulbs...no joy
--Thanks for the pic, I have actually removed the entire harness and have most of it dangling. I have spread the wire apart and wiped down most of them end to end to make sure I was not missing a break. To your point I was hopeful to find something is several pinch areas as I removed the body parts and the harness from its run areas, but found only one small rub area (actually right at your arrow) and found no issues.
-- I do have a meter, only basic skills in using it, probably time to teach myself more but the fuses were cheap and I was being lazy. Probably time to test it properly and save the fuses.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:02 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post

I have a question for the schematic wiz kids?
Why do they put a fuse in the ground wire?
Where do the rear lights, headlights and hour meter get their ground from? On the schematic I have it doesn't show where it's connected or if a machine ground is used.
Have you looked at the scematics in the 3000 Series Service Manual?
I don't know if they will answer you questions but you can download it here...
https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Cub...epair-Manuals/
Old 05-26-2023, 02:12 PM

Yes, I have looked at the Service Manual, it is a great reference and it gave me some logic to apply as I unplugged components but eventually found my way to exposing the entire wire harness.

Upside is I have it all stripped down so gunna take the opportunity while I chase this issue to deal with some rust spots and re-paint some pieces.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:11 PM

Replaced the Ignition Switch (second time) and that solved the alternating fuse blowing issue.

Thanks for the quick feedback