Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 04-12-2023, 06:17 PM

Ok, at this point I installed a new PTO switch and with the switch on start position I'm reading 11.92 volts at the harness plug, purple wire for the seat switch. With the switch in on position, I'm reading 0 volts. I checked continuity on the black wire comming back from the harness plug for the seat switch and it shows good continuity. Why would I not see 12 volts on that purple wire with the switch in on position?
Old 04-12-2023, 07:41 PM

Good news. I was looking at the wiring schematic and noticed the reverse relay in order to have the relay energized, needed to see a ground at the gray wire
(terminal 85 ). So I checked for that ground and did not see it. So I made up a connection from terminal 85 to ground and was able to run the PTO on the "on" position.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beancent View Post
Good news. I was looking at the wiring schematic and noticed the reverse relay in order to have the relay energized, needed to see a ground at the gray wire
(terminal 85 ). So I checked for that ground and did not see it. So I made up a connection from terminal 85 to ground and was able to run the PTO on the "on" position.
Do you have a URL for the schematic handy? I'm horrible at reading them, but guess I need to.

My Cub has all the safety crap bypassed by the PO. PTO worked last fall, and this spring will not stay on.

-- I can turn the PTO on, but it will not STAY on. I can hold the PTO switch on with a Vice Grip (and need to today so I can mow before I have to bale)

It's possible I bumped something when I rebuilt my steering pump, but unless a mouse chewed something I can't see....

Found my fuse issue, I had a 1.5a, not 15 amp. I guess I need cheaters finally..

Also, I checked and I do not have a violet wire in my PTO switch bundle. Is there a way to just install a simple on/of switch?

Old 05-16-2023, 06:40 PM

What model cub do you have?
Old 05-17-2023, 07:13 AM

I've got the 1872.

I did locate the relay last night, and now I am seeking the pin-out and what I should be touching to see if +12 excites it. I just did this with an old Cushman with an ignition issue, but that was a current-style relay with the diagram on it.

I will say, even having to hold the switch in the start pos last night, I was able to get in an evening of mowing with no new leaks in my steering, which made me so happy!
Old 05-17-2023, 04:16 PM

CUBCADETPARTSNMORE.COM has the schematic for your tractor, I just downloaded it and made a copy. It looks like you do not have the purple wire like I did on my pto switch. You have a brown wire that goes to your reverse switch then it continues to the seat switch and a brown return wire to the reverse relay that grounds out when the relay energizes. Check the black wire at the reverse relay to make sure it shows a ground to the frame. I would also check for continuity in the brown wire from the pto switch all the way to the reverse relay.
Old 05-17-2023, 04:33 PM

The white wire that hooks up to your reverse relay comes from the engine alternator and once the reverse relay energizes it sends 12 volts through the black wire at that same relay, over to your pto. So you should be seeing 12 volts at the brown wire and also 12 volts at the white wire, at your reverse relay and also 12 volts at the black wire comming out of the relay on to your pto.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:47 AM

forgot to mention, The two 12 volt above conditions should only exist if your sitting in your seat and not going in reverse.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beancent View Post
forgot to mention, The two 12 volt above conditions should only exist if your sitting in your seat and not going in reverse.
Thanks. I have no reverse or seat safety in the mix, they have been removed from the previous owner. I assume the 'reverse relay' mentioned is the 3" long enclosure bolted to the left side of the frame behind the side panel.
- Bobcat S850
- Cushman Turf Truckster
Old 05-18-2023, 02:28 PM

I would guess that your relay looks like a typical relay, black plastic outside about 1 1/4 square inches with 5 or 6 spade terminals on the bottom to connect your wires to. Do you have a ohm meter to do your testing with? Not really sure where they placed the pto relay on your 1872.