Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 11-22-2020, 10:33 AM

Default Clutch trouble?

Hi. I am a new member and this is my first post.

I recently acquired a model 106 Cub Cadet. I also got a 42" mower deck. It is in good shape and was well cared for. When I brought it home I drove it all over the place (2.5 acres), running it through all the gears. It performed well on level ground and on my hilly places.

I put the mower deck on and tried mowing with it. It worked well. I mowed a few strips--about 100 lineal feet. When I went to put it away, it stopped moving as I was backing it into the barn. Since then I can get it to move in first and reverse, but not up a grade and not with any power. When I let off the clutch it begins to move and then stops. If I rest my foot slightly on the clutch pedal I can coax it to move. There was a lot of slop in the clutch release lever so I adjusted it (tightened) and was able to get a little better performance--sometimes. I can't see anything obviously wrong. The driveshaft turns, but the tractor doesn't move like it should.

Any advice? Is this a clutch problem or a transmission problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:24 PM

Sounds like it broke the pin holding the driveshaft to the coupling on the transmission. The reason I can tell is that you say that if you push slightly on the clutch pedal it moves a little bit. When you're applying pressure to the clutch pedal it is pushing the driveshaft back towards that coupling, producing just enough friction to move the tractor. This is a very common problem on both the gear and hydro narrow frames, as well as wide frames and even the Quietlines.

If you are unsure and would like to check and see if this really is the problem, go to the machine, do NOT turn it on, just put it into a gear, and spin the engine over by hand, and watch the rear coupling to see if the shaft is spinning and the coupler isn't. If the pin isn't broken, then it should become hard to turn and if you can turn it at all the tractor will begin to move because it is in gear.

To replace the pin, being a narrow frame machine, you will probably have to remove the rear end from the machine, as well as the driveshaft. I don't recommend you mess with the clutch because it seems like your clutch is perfectly fine. Line up the pieces of the pin, support the coupling where the broken pin is, and use a hammer and punch to drive the pieces out. Then get the replacement and drive it back in, or wait until the machine is back together and drive it in from underneath.

An image of the gear transaxle from an IH cub, the pin is in that little coupler on the input shaft going into the front of the unit

'70 107 with k301 engine swap
'71 106 with 38" deck
'70 147R with factory replacement k321, 42" deck
'61 Original with 38" timed deck
'63 70 "pinkie"
1863 with 54" deck
'46 Farmall H, '50 Farmall Cub

105 x2 (parts)
Old 11-22-2020, 12:40 PM
Grand Member

There are 2 pins in that coupling.
One through he driveshaft proper and one for the transmission input shaft.
It could either one.
I'd inspect and replace them both while apart.
Be sure and get the proper spirol/coiled type pins and not a common split pin like a hardware store has.
Do not cheap out and use a bolt as it will wallow out the shafts.
Hopefully, that's not what is/was in there now
Old 11-22-2020, 02:30 PM

if you have the optional creeper gear there is a roll pin in there too.
I agree this is a roll pin issue - CCS sells them and so does the cub dealer. If one broke you may as well replace them both. I would not pull the creeper gear off unless the other two are Not broken. If you do have a creeper I would suggest changing the oil - they are often neglected as the oil is isolated from the transaxle.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:15 PM
Grand Member

You shouldn't need to pull the rear end to get to the rear pin for the driveshaft. It's up there, but a long punch should get it out with the rear end in the tractor.

(May 1970) 147 w/an IH spring assist, 48" deck, 42" blade, 1969 73, #2 trailer, 10" Brinly plow and (on loan) Dad's #2 tiller.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the quick reply and the advice! I tried the test recommended by Cubcadet_107 and the driveshaft did spin freely, but the coupling also spun. There are two pins in the coupling and I am assuming that the one closest to the transmission is broken and the forward one is not. Tomorrow I will be replacing pins.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-01-2020, 07:29 PM

I finally removed the pins from the driveshaft of my 106 (no creeper) and, yes, the one next to the transmission was broken. Great diagnosis! Now my question is whether I need a new driveshaft and/or a reduction driveshaft. Both shafts have a pin hole that is a little elongated. I included pictures below so you can see for yourself. Your thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driveshaft.jpg (23.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Reduction driveshaft.jpg (32.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 12-01-2020, 07:47 PM

those are not too bad. you, by all means, need to put spiral pins back in, not bolts, not roll (split) pins. CC specialties sells them(sponsor above), I think Cub cadet still sells them. there are over sized pins available as well. they will probably last another 50 years.

Tags
106, clutch, transmission