Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 04-30-2019, 02:37 PM

Default HDS 2135 ground speed?

I picked up a 2135 the other day at an auction, it had low hours and its a bit banged up but it runs and drives.
The first thing I noticed the minute I fired it up and drive it on my trailer is that it seemed fast for a small tractor. I also noticed right off the bat that it doesn't stop when I let off the forward pedal. It coasts to a stop and not the usually abrupt stop when I lift off the pedal.
The ride from the auction house down to the truck was through a maze or cattle gates and block walls, I noticed right away that it seemed to go faster than was 'comfortable'.
The next day I tried clocking it against my truck and got 16 mph, (I got 16.8 mph on my hand held GPS).
I've got other machines with a hydrostatic drive, but none are this fast. I even read in a post somewhere online where someone was complaining about these not having enough ground speed.
This thing is fast enough that I'd venture to guess it would flip if you turned too fast, and the steering on these things isn't really precise enough to go much faster than walking speed.
My question is, what on earth would make one of these go faster than stock?
The tires are stock 20x9-8, the engine is a bone stock 12.5hp Kohler Command, and its shaft drive so there's no pulleys to have been changed.
Its not go-cart fast but its fast enough that if you hit something, it would most definitely hurt.
The fact that it don't brake when you let off the forward pedal is also a concern in that you have to consciously lift your foot and step on the brake to turn or stop. I did find that if I tapped the 'reverse' pedal, it stops coasting and stops hard. I also found that doing that if you do that at full speed, you better be ready for the result. I'm not talking slamming down on the reverse pedal, I just tap it lightly and it stops coasting and screeches to the stop.

At full throttle, if I mash down on the forward pedal, it'll spin both rear tires for a few feet on grass.
I've had these around here before, maybe not this exact model but never one that moves like this one does.

The deck is trashed, bent beyond repair, someone hit something hard and turned it into a boat anchor but I wanted it to move trailers around the yard and for hauling firewood up to the house, so it'll do just fine for that. I wish it were a heavier duty machine but for what I paid I cant complain.
I suppose if I stumbled on a good used deck, it would also cut grass again The hour meter is only showing 119 hrs.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:10 AM

there is a little shock on the inside of the left frame rail that is supposed to dampen the hydro controls.
they go bad, I just changed one on my 2185, it was $50 for a new one
cc part number 727-3090, I checked it's the same on a 2135

as for speed, I'm not sure about that one, how fast is it in reverse?
I downloaded a service manual for 2000 series tractors somewhere
just google "cub cadet 2000 series service manual"
I know there is adjustment for the hydro
Old 05-01-2019, 11:08 AM

My 2166 is also pretty quick, but with the foot controls it can also crawl, and that's with bigger tires from an ATV. It's about the same machine, only a little newer with a 16 hp Kohler Command OHV. It would be a dream come true if my 149 had 2000 series foot controls.

My 2166 is still a work in progress, but the wide variety of speed control in the Hydro makes it great for pulling small wagons around nice and slow in my very tight space at home as well as occasionally chasing the kid around on his go-kart.

Everything guyina4x4 said sounds about right.
Grumpy old 149/1A tiller, Trusty Rusty 106, & a Massey Ferguson 10 to work the garden, Tiny Snapper to mow the lawn. Slowly accumulating attachments and quickly driving the neighbors crazy on a half acre homestead.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:55 PM

Reverse seems normal, maybe 5 or 6 mph tops. I did notice it takes a lot of foot pressure on the pedals to make it move, and the harder I push, the harder it 'pushes back' against my foot. (I can feel the hydraulic pressure building as I press on the pedal).
Do these all freewheel and 'coast' when you let off the fwd pedal?

I don't see how a damper will change the foot controls? There's nothing between the foot pedals and the trans that I can see. The deck is lifted manually.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:09 PM

if the shock piston is rusty it will make the linkage move tight therefore not going back to neutral properly [sluggish] as far as the fast speed you're getting ? take it to lawn tractor races...5-6 mph in reverse is way faster than normal too...
Old 05-02-2019, 01:27 AM

Speed should be about 6mph forward and 4 mph backward , someone has really tweaked the hydro to get those speeds
Oz
Old 05-02-2019, 02:07 AM

Where is this shock piston on the tractor?

Another thing I notice is that its got a delay in reacting when I let off either pedal, not much but enough to make it nearly impossible to negotiate closely to anything. Twice I ran up on some rocks trying to get around behind the garage to move a load of landscape bricks. There's no such thing as a gradual take off, its either jerky or it spins the wheels and goes all out. It is variable but only from about 5 to 16 mph. Below that its sort of jerky and intermittent unless I have the throttle way down low, then its delayed a bit needing more pedal pressure to start to move.
Both forward and reverse pedals are hard to move, the fender pan flexes before the pedals start to move.

I let a neighbor borrow it to move some dirt this morning and she ran it through her garage door. She said it wouldn't stop. She's got an orange pedal drive type machine but its one of those 8 speed 'automatic' CVT transmissions, not a hydro. She didn't want to take the deck off her's so she borrowed this one. It took the garage door and track right down, never put a scratch on the tractor. I think the whole mess fell on here though.
She said she let off the pedal and it kept going so she stomped on the brake and it went full bore through the garage door.
I think she might have hit the wrong pedal or both pedals.
No harm done to the tractor but I spent all afternoon trying to put a busted up garage door back up. It finally stopped when it rode up on some bags of fertilizer she had in the garage near the door. It was still running at full speed with the back wheels off the ground when she came and got me. She was so frazzled she never thought to shut off the key. I think the right front tire hit the door first, then it tried to push through or under the door taking it off the first set of rollers. It folded the bottom panel slightly and bent the hinges on the next three panels enough to yank the rollers out of the hinges leaving the door just dangling free of the track with the tractor completely inside the garage. I had to take each hinge off and hammer them back in shape, I put a 2x4 across the bottom panel to keep it straight for now. I felt bad because she thought she broke my tractor. The worse part is that her basement steps are just ahead of where the tractor stopped, another 5 feet and she was headed downstairs through a door into her basement. The house has sort of a Bilco type basement entrance that's inside the garage vs. out in the yard. There's a set of concrete steps along the house side wall inside the garage door. If it had busted up the bags it got hung on a bit more it would have kept on going too. The back tires were only a half inch off the floor and still spinning full speed.

For me, I'm getting used to how it works, so I think I'll likely be fine with it but if the extra speed is something someone done to it, I think that needs to be turned back down. Its likely making too much pressure and will likely cause damage?
Old 05-02-2019, 05:52 AM

Follow the foot pedals down to the cross shafts above the mower deck and it's mounted to the left side frame rail.

What it is supposed to do is dampen the sudden stop when you take your foot off the pedal.

It would not be the cause of the fast speed.

Tractor data.com says 2135 should be 5.8mph forward and 3mph reverse.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:23 AM
Grand Member

Do you pose' someone "tweaked" the hydro for lawnmower competition?
Either swap the hydro, repair it, or sent it back through the auction.
Don't tell the neighbor it was a faulty tractor, or tomorrow her lier will be contacting you for a new garage door and a new pair of undies she soiled, @ minimum.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:49 PM

I don't see any damper, I lifted the fender pan off and still no damper. I called the dealer and they said the 2135 don't use a damper, its only on the 2130?
He showed me one on the 2130, with the 'automatic' manual gear box model.

I downloaded a parts manual and it looks like only the 'automatic' models have the damper, the hydro model doesn't seem to show one?

I can't imagine what sort of competition would need a 16mph mower? Its just fast enough to be dangerous but not near fast enough to be raced.
If I wanted fast, I'd swap out the Kohler for the GS1100 bike motor I've got in the garage.