Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 04-26-2019, 01:04 PM
Grand Member

Default Tractor Safety

I'm going to post this here as it relates to tractors, but if it should be moved to general discussion, that would be fine.

I want to relay an incident that happened to me Easter Sunday in hopes that it might help prevent someone else having a similar experience.

I've been around and used various tractors and lawn mowers for 40 years. Loaded them on trailers, moved them around. A lot. In a hurried moment, I tried to put one of my cub cadets on my flatbed and rather than use the winch I installed last year for just this purpose, I decided to drive it up the ramps. Ramps I've used this way many times before. Seemed like an OK thing to do at the time. But I was in a hurry. It was getting dark.

The front of the tractor, at the top of the ramp, went airborne (bounced? Not sure) and then the entire tractor flipped over backwards with me in the seat. Left leg went through an opening in the left ramp (between the ramp's angle iron slats), keeping me in position while the tractor upended and came down on top of me.

I tried to push myself away but the tractor's steering wheel hit me in the left eye and pushed my eyeglasses into my eye socket, tearing most of my eyelids and breaking the bone structure under the eye socket. In the melee, I also tore a tendon in my right shoulder rotator cuff.

I'm home after a helicopter med flight from a rural hospital in eastern Virginia to a trauma center in Richmond and a 4 day hospital stay, two eye surgeries to repair the eye socket and eyelids, a splint on a broken ankle and a looming shoulder surgery in 4 to 5 weeks. They saved my eyesight, and everything else will heal eventually.

As bad as I'm banged up with lots of other scrapes and bruises, it could have been even worse. A 700 lb. piece of cast iron falling from basically 5 feet, could easily have killed me. So I thank God that wasn't the outcome.

I never really thought of this hobby as dangerous. But we all do stuff that is a bit sketchy--don't grab the safety glasses every single time you know you should be wearing them, don't wear a proper respirator painting, etc. Short cuts, a sense of urgency, hurried and hasty decisions, all combine to create an accident. Don't be complacent.

I just want everyone to be safe, use a winch, don't ride these little tractors up short or steep ramps. A few minutes waiting for the winch is such a little price to pay to avoid an accident.

I'll be back to normal in 3 or 4 months after the shoulder heals. Meanwhile, while recuperating, I may hang with you guys a bit.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:43 PM
Grand Member

The Good Lord was watching over you. I would be saying an extra prayer or 2.

It is too easy to leave your guard down (speaking from experience) and have an accident. Sawdustdad is a good reminder to all to be more careful.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:54 PM

A regular on another forum told over there of a flip over on a GT while mowing a ditch and a busted arm
Recently.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:59 PM
Administrator

It always seems that events (accidents) happen when we are in a hurry.

A year ago I fell off a ladder while on a Job Site and injured my right ankle. I was in a hurry, taking a short cut. Nothing broken, but still paying the price.

Moral to the story...........SLOW DOWN. Think about what you are doing.

Speedy recovery Frank.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 04-26-2019, 02:04 PM
Grand Member

I have never used ramps to load a GT into a pickup bed,, that scares me every time I see someone do it,,

My dump trailer is so safe to load,, tractor moving has been worth EVERY cent I payed for it,,

I raise the bed, until the ramps are at the same angle as the bed,,
NO "hump" to drive over,,,

Sorry to hear about your accident,,, it sounds like you have the right docs to fix you up again!!
Old 04-26-2019, 02:10 PM
Grand Member

Frank,

I am so sorry to hear of your injuries. I am hoping, and will say a prayer for your speedy and full recovery.

David
Old 04-26-2019, 03:50 PM

Sorry to hear of your accident, bad things happen in the blink of an eye, no matter how routine or how many times we've done something ! wish you well and a speedy recovery !
Old 04-26-2019, 04:30 PM

Glad to hear that you’ll be alright. It’s amazing how quick things can go wrong.

I witnessed pretty much the same thing happen to a guy loading a tractor into the back of a truck a few years ago and shared the story here. I’ll share it again below in hopes that it gives guys something to think about:

This morning my father and I headed out to a local restaurant for breakfast.

While we were eating, I looked out the window and noticed a man across the street backing up a pick up truck into the back yard of the house.

He got out and lowered the tailgate and placed some ramps on it, and then headed into a shed that was there.

This truck was a 2011 Silverado with about a 4" lift on it. It was parked in a level spot of the yard so the ramps were at a pretty steep angle.

He came out of the shed driving a Wheel Horse garden tractor with a mower deck on it.

I told my dad that there was no way that was going to make it up on the truck without getting hung up on the deck.

This man started driving up the ramps nice and slow and when the deck got to the tailgate it got hung up and stopped. I was glad to see him back down the ramps safely.

After this things went bad. He decided that on his second attempt he would go faster and force that deck over the hump. Again it got stuck. He pushed in the clutch and the tractor started to roll back down the ramps. He panicked and let the clutch back out and that tractor stood straight up and rolled over backwards down the ramps with the him on it. When it landed I saw him start to crawl out from under it and try to stand up.

We left the restaurant and headed across the street. By this time he was on his feet. I asked him if his was ok and he said he was, he was just a little shook up. After he calmed down we helped him flip the tractor back over on its wheels.

I explained to him that there was no way that tractor with the deck on was going to make it up the angle of those ramps. He would need to take the deck off or better yet back up to a bank on the other side of the yard to lessen the angle of the ramps.

He thanked us for the help and said that he was going to let the tractor sit a while for the oil to drain back down before starting it again. I was glad that he was not hurt and hoped that he learned a valuable lesson from this.

I know in our hobby that we load and unload tractors regularly from trucks and trailers. Please use caution and don't take anything for granted. Witnessing this really opened my eyes as to how quick and violent it is when the tractor flips over. Don't take chances and make sure you do things as safely as possible.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:44 PM
Grand Member

Good Lord Frank that sounds painful. Yes it could have been worse but that’s some pretty big injuries you sustained.

Question, I see a lot of guys use equipment trailers with those big fold down ramps that have the large gaps in them and try to load garden tractors with them. The small wheels fall in the gaps so they try to straddle the flat bars that connect them and it’s very dicey and unsafe. Does your trailer have that style of ramps? I have a friend that loads on them too and he stands beside the tractor and drives it up but this is still unsafe.

I always try to make the ramps as even as possible like john shows with his dump trailer but I know this can’t always be done. Seems the decks always like to hang any other way and it can go bad fast as stated above.

Thanks for sharing and this will help others and remind us all that we can’t be too safe. Hope you recover quickly sir.
(2) Original, 100, 102, 124, 73, 800, #1 and #2 cart, brinly plows, disk, IH184, IH244, 1948 F Cub
Old 04-26-2019, 07:27 PM
Grand Member

I have the trailer's attached shorter equipment ramps with large gaps between the cross bars as well as a set of TSC 8 foot aluminum ramps that are arched. I switched to using the longer, arched ramps last year, as the angle is much less. But was in a hurry and didn't bother this time. I've used the equipment ramps many times without incident.

The tractor I was loading was my red, "148" with 10.50 ags on the back and 6 inch tri-ribs on front. No deck or attachments. Easily climbs the ramps, perhaps too quickly.

This is the trailer with the longer ramps in use, the shorter equipment ramps had been removed for this trip. These are the ramps I use with the winch, also visible in the photo. The winch can be moved to either side or the center of the trailer to load a tractor. The wire on the ground is the remote to operate the winch while steering a tractor up the ramps. As I should have done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181010_173851.jpg (21.1 KB, 147 views)