Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 05-25-2019, 10:17 PM

Default 582 Issue

Guys here again for help. I have a IH Cub Cadet 582 that I have been working on. It has an opposed twin Briggs in it. I had it running about a month ago but now have an issue where it won’t run without choke and then only runs about 10 seconds. It has a clear gas line so I can see there is fuel to the carb. I am needing ideas to troubleshoot.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:24 PM
Grand Member

Time for a carb rebuild is what it sounds like to me.

Cub Cadet 123
Old 05-25-2019, 10:55 PM

X 2 on the carb rebuild. If you don't use it often make sure you run ethanol free gas too.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:41 AM
Administrator

X 3 for me also.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 05-26-2019, 08:22 AM

After you take care of the carb issue since you don't use it often it might be a good idea to shut the gas off and let it run out of gas when you are done using it (don't forget to turn the key off afterward) If there is no fuel in the carb it can't gunk up.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:23 AM
Grand Member

You have a fuel delivery issue as everyone already stated.
You can try taking the clear plastic line off the carb barb/fitting and see if it is pissing a good stream, if yes, then the carb should be attended to as to why the fuel is not getting into the engine.
Just because you see fuel in the line, don't mean it is flowing.
Example would be holding a water bottle to your mouth but not drinking it.
A no flow problem.
FWIW:
I don't like clear plastic fuel lines as most become as hard as a groom on his wedding night.
also in cooler temps, again, the hard line tends to leak.
just my call, your milage will vary.
Now,
on the non ethanol fuel issue.
While I don't like corn squeezing's in my fuel as it is best left for adult beverages.
I am not a fan on non ethanol fuel.
But only because it is not sold in large enough quantities for it to be fresh.
I would like an honest answer from the fuel retailer as to how many gallons they sell and how often they receive deliveries.
My bet at the inflated cost, they sell little of it and what they have is at least over a year old.
Again just my thoughts.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:55 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
You have a fuel delivery issue as everyone already stated.
You can try taking the clear plastic line off the carb barb/fitting and see if it is pissing a good stream, if yes, then the carb should be attended to as to why the fuel is not getting into the engine.
Just because you see fuel in the line, don't mean it is flowing.
Example would be holding a water bottle to your mouth but not drinking it.
A no flow problem.
FWIW:
I don't like clear plastic fuel lines as most become as hard as a groom on his wedding night.
also in cooler temps, again, the hard line tends to leak.
just my call, your milage will vary.
Now,
on the non ethanol fuel issue.
While I don't like corn squeezing's in my fuel as it is best left for adult beverages.
I am not a fan on non ethanol fuel.
But only because it is not sold in large enough quantities for it to be fresh.
I would like an honest answer from the fuel retailer as to how many gallons they sell and how often they receive deliveries.
My bet at the inflated cost, they sell little of it and what they have is at least over a year old.
Again just my thoughts.
In my neck of the woods, you can go to the local airport and purchase non-ethanol gasoline. They don't want you purchasing large quantities, but 5 gallons is not a problem for them. Have you tried your local airport?

Cub Cadet 123
Old 05-27-2019, 06:31 AM
Grand Member

What your little airport is selling is non ethanol indeed.. but it's also LL100. that's low lead 100 octane. Do not run this in your tractor! Unless of course your trying to burn up pistons and valves.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:45 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
What your little airport is selling is non ethanol indeed.. but it's also LL100. that's low lead 100 octane. Do not run this in your tractor! Unless of course your trying to burn up pistons and valves.
I very respectfully disagree.
Unless formulations have changed, and anything is possible.
But in the past, higher octane fuel contains more anti knock additives to slow the flame front as it instantly moves across the combustion chamber, causing damaging "ping" or "knock" also preignition from carbon build up, that will cause piston damage/breakage and valve damage.
I have seen it, and repaired the damage.
From pistons with the heads broken off just above the wrist pin to cracked skirts to holes burned in the tops.
When an engine runs hot, due to any number of of reasons, be it high compression or extreme load, poor cooling, too much ignition advance etc.
The explosion or flame front as it is called in the combustion chamber ideally travels across equally.
Where the problems arise, is it will ignite in 2 or more areas, and when these
flame fronts collide, a damaging "knock" occurs.
All this happens sub instantaneously.

In an engine that has lower compression,or is not experiencing ping or knock, there is no need for higher octane fuel, and the use of it it just an unnecessary added expense, but no harm is done to the engine using it.
Higher octane fuel burns slower and cooler.
A dyno, most times, will show the use of an unneeded higher octane fuel will indicate a very slight decrease in power, but minor for practical purposes.
Now if a person is using a high compression modified engine, premium high octane fuel is needed and necessary for longevity and added power.
Todays computer controlled engines ( not our old cubs) do a better job of controlling combustion temps,thus knock,with knock sensors to instantly control the ign timing, variable valve timing, as well as fuel lean/rich mixtures, while allowing more power output,added mileage and less unwanted emissions.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:06 AM
Grand Member

Off the OP's topic, and of no contribution to avgas/autogas debate, but here is an interesting website for anyone looking for non-ethanol gas in their area.....

https://www.pure-gas.org/