Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 02-21-2019, 12:50 AM
Grand Member

I'm not this old, and most likely never will be, in an odd but funny way! I remember the t.v closing down at 12 am midnight. When all we had to make popcorn was a pan, oil, and a stove. When we would get our groceries paper bagged by a "bagger". I remember payphones and packs of Marbrol 25,s.
IH CUB CADET 1450, 72, 86, 1211, IH #2 CART, IH 56" SNOW BLADE, COLLECTING CUB CADET ENGINES
Old 02-21-2019, 06:35 AM

I am a proud member of the older than dirt club. And yes there were some good old day, but some things I am glad have changed, like the house I grew up in only had an oil heater in the "front room". Us boys slept in the back room, so in the winter we would jump out from under a ton of homemade quilts and run like, well you get the picture. And speaking of those quilts when you went to bed at night it gave true meaning to being tucked in! The first TV I saw was at the local "filling station" (let's see who knows what that is) an we were allowed to come up to his place on Saturday afternoon to watch it. I am one of those that drove himself to school along with about 40 other screaming brats. We had an old 40 something school bus that had a vacuum hose that came thru the dash for some reason, and if you disconnected it and placed a number two pencil in the hose, that baby would run 60! We were doing that until we got caught, that was the fastest we ever got home. We got reported by the eighteen wheeler we tried to pass! Boy those were the days, sleeping outdoors in the summer, swimming in any an every Creek around, catching lightning bugs (fireflies) for you folks up north and playing sandlot baseball with a tobacco stick. We defeated every Jap, and German around with homemade wooden guns. We were hunting rabbits squirrels and quail when we were 11 or 12 (without adults) and never shot anyone. And dad never locked "our" guns! Didn't have too! So I am PROUD to be older than dirt!

124 w hydro lift, 124 creeper gear, 125,126,128, 129,147 electric lift, 149 w/tiller, 1200, 1450 dual 1650 w/tiller control hydro, #2 Cart, Haban sickle mower, Gannon, 17 cubic inch cart.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:41 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSXengr View Post
I am a proud member of the older than dirt club. And yes there were some good old day, but some things I am glad have changed, like the house I grew up in only had an oil heater in the "front room". Us boys slept in the back room, so in the winter we would jump out from under a ton of homemade quilts and run like, well you get the picture. And speaking of those quilts when you went to bed at night it gave true meaning to being tucked in! The first TV I saw was at the local "filling station" (let's see who knows what that is) an we were allowed to come up to his place on Saturday afternoon to watch it. I am one of those that drove himself to school along with about 40 other screaming brats. We had an old 40 something school bus that had a vacuum hose that came thru the dash for some reason, and if you disconnected it and placed a number two pencil in the hose, that baby would run 60! We were doing that until we got caught, that was the fastest we ever got home. We got reported by the eighteen wheeler we tried to pass! Boy those were the days, sleeping outdoors in the summer, swimming in any an every Creek around, catching lightning bugs (fireflies) for you folks up north and playing sandlot baseball with a tobacco stick. We defeated every Jap, and German around with homemade wooden guns. We were hunting rabbits squirrels and quail when we were 11 or 12 (without adults) and never shot anyone. And dad never locked "our" guns! Didn't have too! So I am PROUD to be older than dirt!
Back in the late 40's, we too had a "Duo-Therm" oil stove in the living room, and a Kalamazoo wood stove in the utility room.
When the wood burned down to coals during the night in the wood stove, the oil heater kept the house warm, but to a little kid under the quilts, my nose and face was still cold.
Come morning, my sister and I would scramble to the Duo-Therm and cuddle around it, warming sufficiently to get dressed and ready for the walk to school after mom cooked B'fast.
I remember when Dad got a electric fan for the side of the oil stove,
It seemed to help, but not much on cold winter mornings in Mi.

I know what it is like to saw wood with a 2 man crosscut saw,
Dad would always say to me "don't ride the saw" although it cuts both ways, pull your own weight.
Dad has been gone 52 years but I can still hear his voice saying that.

We only had 1 school bus in the whole district, and the Janitor drove it on outings, but nobody rode to school in it.
The grade school was a block away and the high school was only a mile away for me, everyone walked.
There were no obese children, granted some were a little heavy, but school activities & walking kept us in shape as well as chores parents required to be done.
Milk was given during morning recess in class and it cost .02 cents
(1/2 pint returnable glass bottles)
My last year in grade school they switched to square paper cartons with little foil tabs that you lifted up to open.
Us boys stabbed them in the corner with a sharp pencil and stuck in a straw.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:11 AM

We lived 11 miles from the school I went to so everyone rode a school bus except those kids that lived close. And it was the only school I ever attended, grade 1 thru 12. I think there were 45-50 kids in my graduating class.

The little community I lived in, everyone knew everyone and everything about everyone! No wonder I stayed in trouble! Too many sets of eyes on me. Miss those happy days.

124 w hydro lift, 124 creeper gear, 125,126,128, 129,147 electric lift, 149 w/tiller, 1200, 1450 dual 1650 w/tiller control hydro, #2 Cart, Haban sickle mower, Gannon, 17 cubic inch cart.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:21 AM

Yes i'm older than dirt too, i guess. I remember in 1st grade our bus route had all 1-12 grades. That's where i learned to play poker with the older kids. Also had a am radio pressed against the window listening to the Beatles or Motown. Those were the days my friends. Mike
Old 02-21-2019, 10:59 AM

I remember when the dirt was still clean. :-)

We could get three TV stations: KRDO (channel 13), KKTV (channel 11), the public station on UHF 19 (I think) and a fourth, if the weather was just right, we could watch Star Trek reruns on channel 5 out of Pueblo, though very snowy even on the best day. Eventually they set up a tower on Cheyenne mountain and relayed it on a UHF channel - 50 I think. Now my mom gets over a dozen stations without cable.
and various other bucketraters, grassenators and dirtavators.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:13 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
Yes, southern states were frequently using students as bus drivers.,, how about lessons on how to drive a trolley??

https://www.facebook.com/OldAlleghen...3222626792852/

This was a trolley that came within a couple miles from my house,,

https://www.facebook.com/OldAlleghen...jEeKjDzoIMItV5
My 11th grade year I still had to ride the bus. The governor was broken on the bus--we never said a word. Unfortunately they caught it over the summer and "fixed it". Had hills my senior year that it could only run about 15mph when cresting the top. With only 15 or so riding that bus, we didn't get anything nice to ride---especially when there was 2,000 more kids in that school.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck