Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 09-08-2016, 10:33 AM

Default Push Mower

Morning All,

I hope this is ok to post here as its not "tractor" related persay. So My little Troybuilt push mower that ive had now for 5 years has finally bit the dust. Just cant get that rascal to start no matter what... "self propelled" unit went out last year (not that i ever used it as i can usually walk faster than the self propelled will go). Ive tried all the usual suspects, carb is ok i can smell fuel after several cord pulls, plug is getting fire, just changed the air filter so i know thats up to par. (did a complete service two weeks ago everything was great). So since My XT3 wont be here until early next year, and the push mower was supposed to get me through until then, im in the market for a new push mower. Does Cub make a good reliable push mower? Im leary about the "cub" engine thats on them. I thought about looking into a snapper (atleast its red and still made here in the US right?!?)... once i get my Tractor it will just be used for trim work where the tractor cant get to. What do yall use? and what would yall recommend? If this isnt allowed i appologise...

Thanks,

Matt

Current:
XT3 GSX - 60" fabricated deck - spreader - 12cf steel cart - sun shade - 46" front blade
IH 129 - 44" deck - ported pump (work in progress)

(on radar)
1572 - 60" Haban fabricated Deck - other options unknown
IH Tiller for the 129

Old 09-08-2016, 12:26 PM
Grand Member

You can drop $100 to $1,000 on a push mower, and I am not certain there is more bang for the buck by spending more money. The Troybilts I have worked on all cranked real easy but were notorious for the self-propel unit going out. Anything with a Briggs or Honda engine is probably fine. You may be able to get a good deal off CL, especially if you don't plan on using it a lot long term. 25 years ago I used to run one sold by ECHO--it was the same as Homelite and Jacobsen. It had a cast alum deck. I ran it in severe places (rough hillsides) for about 3-4 years. It had a 2 cycle engine and was self propelled. It was certainly one tough piece of equipment--I rolled it down hills a couple times and cracked the deck twice from hitting stuff. I have no idea why they quit building those, haven't seen one in ages.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 09-08-2016, 02:00 PM

Good deal John, after looking around, i couldnt really tell much difference in any of them just color and price basicly, thats why i thought id ask here, maybe i was missing something. Well i have about .6 acres im cutting with it now until i get my tractor in. I think that might have been what finally took my little troybuilt out, is 2 - 3 hrs of continued mowing every week in thick grass/weeds. So the new one will have to get me through atleast november with that duty.

Yeah this troybuilt cranked really easy one pull everytime since she was new until this past weekend. Cut everything but a 40' strech by the road and went in for lunch, came back out, put gas in the tank and no dice.... Briggs 7.25EX.

Thanks,

Matt

Current:
XT3 GSX - 60" fabricated deck - spreader - 12cf steel cart - sun shade - 46" front blade

(on radar)
IH Tiller for the 129

Old 09-08-2016, 02:07 PM
Grand Member

Find a used cub to mow with then sell it off when your new one comes in.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 09-08-2016, 02:25 PM
Grand Member

If you're getting new riding mower next season, I wouldn't rush out and buy a new "push" mower.

Unless your current mower has been blowing oil, or there was a catastrophic failure, there shouldn't be much wrong with it.

First thing I would do is replace the flywheel key. If the flywheel key doesn't do the trick and it has overhead valves, I'd check the clearances or take it to a shop and have them look at it.

But then, I'm a cheapskate and won't spend money that I don't really need to spend.

I still have (and periodically use) the first push mower I ever bought, 35 plus years ago.

The old Snapper walk behinds are great machines (I have several of them). Don't know anything about the new ones.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:31 PM

Olds - lol I have a 129 thats fixing to be in pieces come the first week of Oct. to begin restoration and hydro pump rebuild. Plus if i bought another used cub i wouldnt sell it lol it would be next inline for restoration, and with my current cub, 79 power wagon, and 82 Class A Motorhome... My wife has made threats to my well being if i bringing home anything else "used" or that needs "TLC" lol

Yosemite Sam- i am going to take it to a local repair guy tomorrow and pending on how much it would cost to fix ill make my decision. Ill check the flywheel when i get home this eveing. I dont think its an OHV motor but ill definately check that too. I wouldnt figure there would be too much wrong with it given its age and its very well and regularly maintained. Im going to have to have a push mower anyway to take care of the areas the tractor wont get to.

Thanks Guys,

Matt

Current:

(on radar)
IH Tiller for the 129

Old 09-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Administrator

If the engine is junk and you want to replace it maybe you can match it up with something.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...ines++Vertical

I'm wondering if you have some crap in the carb "CIC" seems funny it was running OK now nothing.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 09-08-2016, 04:11 PM

Sam Mac - You know that was my first thought as that is the only problem i have ever had with this mower. id say last year i had an issue where it wouldnt start and took it in under warrenty and the ethanol in our gas had gummed up the carb. I thought that might be the case this time but i can smell fuel on the muffler side after i crank it a few times. No telling just kind of bummed that it would have happend again so fast. I thought about a repower as well, Let me check out that site.

Thanks,

Matt

Current:

(on radar)
IH Tiller for the 129