Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 01-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Grand Member

Default Need new clutch opinion

On my 124, the clutch assembly is shot. Just about every major part needs work or replacement so I've been thinking about getting an aftermarket clutch by Zach Kerber. Here's a link to what I'm considering:

https://www.zkbrmachine.com/product-...lutch-assy-kit

The 124 is just a worker. General yard work including mowing, blowing snow, pulling carts and rakes and being fun to ride around. The 124 has a creeper gear and I'm sure the new shaft would have to be modified for it. I'm not concern about keeping original. The price may be steep but so is replacing nearly every part of the original. And, I have not be able to find new original all in one "buy".

So what do you think? Or....I'm open to suggestions! Thanks!
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 01-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Grand Member

That looks perfect to me,,,
Old 01-09-2019, 10:42 PM
Grand Member

That is a pulling clutch. The disc looks to be an aluminum disc. You don't want an aluminum disc. There is no slipping one of those clutch system. They are like an off-on switch.

The red spring is too much for an daily driver. It will be hard on your left leg. You will need to add extra support to the yoke that holds the clutch lever on.

The clutch assembly you posted has an 3 inch coupler. You drive shaft will be shorter because of the creeper drive. Pullers that used that style coupler have a center support to hold drive shaft in alinement.

The clutch in the rebuild
https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/...l+transmission
will give years of life and be easy on your leg. You should be able to save yourself $100 (depending on who does the labor). I'm using that set up in my 100 that I plow with no slippage.

Disclaimer: Zac Kerber builds some great products. In this application it is the wrong clutch for a daily user.

Your money-Your choice
Old 01-10-2019, 01:18 AM
Grand Member

Seems like a serious parts replacement!

I know if you true up the pressure plates of your original equipment, throw in a Mid West Super Cub Kevlar disk, install new bearings and springs, that you'll have above satisfactory, factory-like components. The original stuff was pretty solid, and has plenty of meat to stall out your k301, and dig ya a hole too.

Myself, if I were to install the new system, I'd want to go all the way around it so that my garden tractor matches up to what the new system can deliver.
IH CUB CADET 1450, 72, 86, 1211, IH #2 CART, IH 56" SNOW BLADE, COLLECTING CUB CADET ENGINES
Old 01-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Grand Member

I just went to a parts and repair guy near me. This guy works on all sorts of lawn mowers and garden tractors and one of his specialties is Cub Cadet equipment. He has a lot of parts for older IH Cub Cadets. Some of which he has for the clutch I need for the 124. Some of which needs to be ordered. So I asked this guy "How much for the drive shaft, three pin driver and everything in between except for the pressure plates? I'll take care of the my old pressure plates and put it together!" His response..... "about $1,200.00!" Seriously, why so much? He indicated that the OEM pin driver is expensive and I pointed out to him there are a couple aftermarkets going about $60.00 and the claims are that these are better and stronger than OEM.

Anyway, I got a rough quote from this guy for parts for me to rebuild the existing clutch including new shaft, spring, teaser, disk, thrust bearing, all the pins and the three springs for the disk....$275.00 Not including the pin diver and re-use the throw arm which is OK. Couple that with a new aftermarket pin driver I'll be in the hole for at least $335.00 not counting any applicable taxes and shipping.

Or... go on ebay and buy a rebuilt clutch front to back all new except the pressure plates and throw arm are used (inspected, reconditioned and painted) for $275.00 and I still need to get the $60 pin driver. This looks to be my best option to staying close to original other than going all aftermarket. This is $335.00 in the hole but less work

Merk did a wonderful thread on rebuilding clutches and I'm keenly interested in keeping the 124 as original as possible. But it's not all that important. Merk's thread was interesting reading and I'll be reading this thread again.

But as you can see, I'm keeping the Zach Kerber option open for the time being. However, Merk made a few really good points to consider: 1) The spring.... the red spring is tough for daily driver. OK... ZK has a blue spring option. This spring , ZK claims, is better for daily use. 2) The aluminum pressure plate.... I absolutely don't want that. I asked about this issue with ZK a whiles ago and never got a response. I asked about the possibility of these plates being steel. If I can't have steel, the idea of ZK clutch is DEAD. 3) Merk definitely raised my attention with the coupler. This may kill the aftermarket clutch idea. I'm not into adding extra support . However, as I mention before, I have a creeper. The creeper stays. I'm likely needing to modify this shaft by shorten, drill hole for pin and go with the original coupler. Is this not a good idea?

Look guys.... right now the needle is tipping towards going with the rebuilt clutch offered on ebay with a new aftermarket three pin driver. But I'm stirring the olive in my martini... just thinking about this. No big rush. My 125 is ready for the winter onslaught. I appreciate any more thoughts and opinions. Please and thank you! Eenii meeniii mini moe...........
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 01-11-2019, 05:23 PM
Grand Member

I would get a new shaft, coupler, and yoke from pbj. He will true up the plates. You can reuse the spring but add a few washers to stiffen it up.
How bad is the three pin? If it is not bent reuse it and replace the pins and the bushing.
The yoke pin you can make out of a 3/8 bolt, and the clutch lever Jeff may be able to fix.
You only need one of those springs, then buy an aftermarket clutch plate, teaser spring and T.O. bearing.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:15 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkminion_17 View Post
I would get a new shaft, coupler, and yoke from pbj. He will true up the plates. You can reuse the spring but add a few washers to stiffen it up.
How bad is the three pin? If it is not bent reuse it and replace the pins and the bushing.
The yoke pin you can make out of a 3/8 bolt, and the clutch lever Jeff may be able to fix.
You only need one of those springs, then buy an aftermarket clutch plate, teaser spring and T.O. bearing.
On the three pin driver, the bushing was worn past the outer edge and into the body of the pin driver a little bit in one spot. It looked like the PO had done a cheap-assed repair on the bushing by sticking something in it to reduce the slop. One day after a year or so of running fine since I got the 124, the clutch suddenly deteriorate rapidly. I didn't stop using the 124 soon enough. I'm afraid just a new bushing is not enough to suffice.... hence a new driver

I'll get a hold of PBJ and see what he has to offer....always good service for sure! The pressure plates I can true up myself on the lathe.
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 01-11-2019, 06:59 PM
Grand Member

Then you can make a driveshaft if you have a lathe, if the three pin is bad I think pbj can fix you up.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkminion_17 View Post
Then you can make a driveshaft if you have a lathe, if the three pin is bad I think pbj can fix you up.
Actually, my skills are much more with Cabinetmaking, Millwork and carpentry than with metal working. While I can work with a metal lathe or a milling machine, I'd much rather not spend all day making a shaft with whatever kind of appropriate metal when I can have somebody else send me the damn thing in the mail thirty minutes later... That is to say that my knowledge with metal working is rudimentary. I'm sure I can do this but I can't put too much time into it for now. I'll trust the pros just as much as my customers trust me. What goes around comes around.
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 01-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-O View Post
Actually, my skills are much more with Cabinetmaking, Millwork and carpentry than with metal working. While I can work with a metal lathe or a milling machine, I'd much rather not spend all day making a shaft with whatever kind of appropriate metal when I can have somebody else send me the damn thing in the mail thirty minutes later... That is to say that my knowledge with metal working is rudimentary. I'm sure I can do this but I can't put too much time into it for now. I'll trust the pros just as much as my customers trust me. What goes around comes around.
Sound like a plan, you will be pleased with Jeff's work.