Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines

Notices

Old 04-17-2016, 07:35 PM

Default Seafoam use

Folks, what is the best way to use this product with our K Series Engines? Do you just pour it into the gas or have you found other ways to use it that have been helpful? I've used that magic marvel stuff (or whatever it's called) and that can be used in the gas and also poured into the piston. I've read the directions on how to use this stuff but still just wanted to ask if others might have found more productive ways of using this product. Thanks!
75 WIP
Blade, blower, decks
Tons of left over parts
Old 04-17-2016, 07:41 PM

I use Seafoam in all my machine's, I find it's easier to mix it in gasoline container. This way I can can mix it correctly.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:59 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandcubs View Post
I use Seafoam in all my machine's, I find it's easier to mix it in gasoline container. This way I can can mix it correctly.
Yes it works well being you are by the the sea,but he is inland so I am not sure if they make mountain foam...

Personally I never used the hokus pocus stuff.drain the tanks and carbs on my stuff and call it a done deal.When I want to use one of the cubs,I put FRESH gas in it and it starts right up.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:13 PM
Grand Member

Best thing to do is not use it.

I've tried sea foam several times...mainly at plow days. Every time My tractors were down on power to not run at all. It was mix per container directions.

I know one person who started using sea crap in his Kohler. Kohler didn't use oil before sea foam was used. It did a few months after using this product. Sea foam did what it was suppose to do....loosen-dissolve carbon build it. It left carbon to float around in the cylinder and cause other problems.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:26 PM
Administrator

I've used Sea-Foam with good results in carbs that have moderate buildup for lack of a better term. It seemed to make them run better. I also use Chevron Techron injector cleaner. I prefer the Chevron stuff. That said if you have a plugged carb non of the magic in a can will solve your problems.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 04-17-2016, 08:48 PM
Grand Member

Never had a problem using Seafoam dumped in the gas tank. I don't measure, just make an educated guess as to how much fuel is in the tank and how much Seafoam I am pouring in. Never had it to cause a problem. Of course I've never tried using it in anything that was really gunked up, just stuff that was running a little rough. As long as you don't expect it to perform miracles I think it works great. If your fuel tank is full of water and trash or you carb is completely gummed up, you're going to have to turn some wrenches.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 04-17-2016, 09:00 PM
Grand Member

If all this snake oil was so good,
I think the manufacturers of engines would recommend it.
But what do I know.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:17 PM
Banned

If you use Sea Foam for what it is intended for, breaking up carbon deposits and cleaning things out, it is fantastic stuff. I've used it lots on older cars that have sat, and ones that little old lady's putted around in, that got "gunked up". That said, I have never needed to use it in a Kohler. It really is meant to be a fuel system cleaner, and works wonders on fuel injection. It is not really a fuel stabilizer and it will reduce power. On a small engine in a GT, do like Lew said, clean the system out and use fresh fuel. That's the best thing to do. Besides, even in you have to pull a head and decarbon it, it's no big deal. Not like tearing down a gunked up North Star V8 in a Caddy.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:28 PM
Grand Member

Has anyone ever let a chunk of carbon soak in sea foam to see what happens?

If it were to "dissolve" the carbon as it claims, it might not be so bad. BUT if it causes particles of carbon to dislodge from inside the combustion chamber, I just can't see where that would be a good thing at all, might as well just throw a little sand into the carburetor throat every once in awhile.

I can see where it might be helpful cleaning the inside of a slightly gummy carburetor and it might be helpful keeping carbon from building up in a new or freshly rebuilt engine (if it actually does what it claims it will do). If that were the case, I would think we would all be hearing stories of people who swear that they have been running it in their Originals since new an have never had to pull the head off.

I also don't understand why you would want to thin your crank case oil.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:31 AM

I thank you all for your comments. Here is why I've asked this question. I will be actually using my cubs this Summer to mow my lawn rather than just toying around with them HAHAHA! This being said I'll be putting some stress on the old engines and just want to do what I can to keep them in shape. I don't have the skill set to rebuild an engine and have to take all the precautions I can to keep these engines running. Rebuilding carbs, no problem now. I have never taken the head off an engine but I'm pretty sure I can take care of that with some help from you folks :-) Pretty much, most things outside of the engine I'm ok with and feel that I can take care of but once that engine needs to be rebuilt I'm going to be in trouble. I also have that Marvel Mystery Oil here that I think has helped one of my engines come a bit back to life but I do have to agree with one of the posts, if these chemicals break down the gunk, where does the gunk go?

So on a side note, any chance we could put together a thread that links to threads around here on tips on how to maintain your engine? I know all these nuggets of gold live in hear but unless you know what you're looking for it's hard to find. I watched a video on setting your valves. How would you know when it was time to mess around with them? You folks have got me a lot more confident to work on my tractor but I'm still lacking the knowledge of when to mess with something :-)

Anyway, I want to thank you all again for your input on this Seafoam topic and it really seems like it's a personal taste thing and folks all have their own experiences with the product.
75 WIP
Blade, blower, decks
Tons of left over parts