Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 11-09-2022, 03:30 PM

Default 1872 power steering valve issue

Hi all, I've just rebuilt my 1872 steering pump, got all the new seals from Messick's and managed NOT to lose any springs!

Everything went back together (and I photographed it all) however my wheel locks hard left when I turn on the Cubby.. I check my lines and they are back on where they should go.

Anybody have a clue where I may have gone wrong with something inside? Good thing it's winter almost as I'm going to have to palletize thing thing and move it with the bobcat

(Using Oaks link here as a reference https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/...ad.php?t=50629)

Old 11-10-2022, 04:04 PM

The One Person I Know who is Good at diagnosing Power steering issues with Cub's is Rob Houtz one of the site sponsors I would pick his brain if You Can
Old 11-10-2022, 05:49 PM
Senior Moderator

What do you mean it locks hard left? I think I had to crack my lines on the cylinder and purge some fluid by turning the steering wheel IIRC.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:59 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachtera View Post
Hi all, I've just rebuilt my 1872 steering pump, got all the new seals from Messick's and managed NOT to lose any springs!

Everything went back together (and I photographed it all) however my wheel locks hard left when I turn on the Cubby.. I check my lines and they are back on where they should go.

Anybody have a clue where I may have gone wrong with something inside? Good thing it's winter almost as I'm going to have to palletize thing thing and move it with the bobcat

(Using Oaks link here as a reference https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/...ad.php?t=50629)

Did you follow the service manual diligently?
obviously, you made a mistake during assembly, port plates? stack up on the sandwich of plates? did you scribe them, then assemble as you scribed them?
it is possible you mashed a spring, I've seen it.
sadly, now you get to go through it again
Old 11-13-2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
What do you mean it locks hard left? I think I had to crack my lines on the cylinder and purge some fluid by turning the steering wheel IIRC.
When I turn on the cub, after a few seconds (pressure build I assume) the wheel magically turns hard left, and I can't turn is back without fear of breaking the steering wheel.

I watched my disassembly replay and re-assembled in reverse (I even laid all the parts out in order) - My thinking is that I maybe put the valve plate in out of alignment, but unsure if that would cause it.

It's on a pallet now sitting until I want to dive back into it, but I can try to crack a line first to see if that remedies anything. It was late and I needed to get this thing out of my parking spot in the garage.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:02 PM

Default Round 2

Well, spring has spring in MN and I must get this resolved. with my frustration last fall, it was strapped on a pallet and stored for the winter.

Cracked my lines, fluid instantly comes out, so I guess I'm taking the whole darn assembly out again.

Gotta fix it ASAP or I'll be searching for a replacement mower this week. The lawn is already unruly.

Wish me luck

Old 05-09-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachtera View Post
Well, spring has spring in MN and I must get this resolved. with my frustration last fall, it was strapped on a pallet and stored for the winter.

Cracked my lines, fluid instantly comes out, so I guess I'm taking the whole darn assembly out again.

Gotta fix it ASAP or I'll be searching for a replacement mower this week. The lawn is already unruly.

Wish me luck

Looks like all my marks are lined up correctly, no? Guess it's coming apart

Old 05-10-2023, 08:15 AM

Default YAY

Well, Fixed it! I had to go back to the original video I shot and zoom in to find out that the valve plate was 180 off. Put it back together and it works as expected. I'll just have to use it for a session to see if the fluid stays where it should.

Only negative I found is that the PTO switch no longer stays engaged. I expect that's my penance for leaving the old Cub outside over the winter, so a new one is on order.

Thank you guys for the input and the write-up on the repair! Hopefully, I can get a few more seasons out of it before it needs to be replaced.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:25 AM
Grand Member

Don't be quick to condemn the switch, and fire the parts cannon at it.
IIRR the switch on those activates a relay, and the switch returns to the center position.

And on the power steering, those "O" rings don't like to be reused but since it has only been a while you might get by ok.
It is usually the ones on plate stack up, and for goodness sake, if it does leak don't buy another kit as them "O" rings are inexpensive at suppliers.
Farm & home stores get pocket change for them.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:46 AM

Thanks - I may dig more once it's running (old battery finally gave out after 9 years)

The prior switch exhibited the same behavior as this one. Turns on, but won't stay on unless I hold it up. I bought a cheap eBay replacement, so that's why I'm leaning towards switch failure, but I'll double check some wiring too. Possible I bumped something while trying to get the steering assy out.