Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 08-11-2021, 12:37 PM

Default 2-cycle air filter question

So I have a different string trimmer I’m working on this time, a Ryobi RY26000 power head. It runs fine but it doesn’t have an air filter at all. I figured the guy I got it from just didn’t install one, but checking the manual and parts catalog doesn’t mention anything about an air filter, only to clean the air screen on the carb intake.

Has anyone ever seen a 2 cycle engine WITHOUT an air filter from the factory? Are these intake screens on the carbs supposed to act as the filter? I was just going to put a filter on it anyways but it looks like the cover closes directly to the intake, no room for a filter (unless it was paper thin).
Old 08-11-2021, 01:25 PM

I purchased a Ryobi line trimmer 15 years ago. Two cycle engine. Never had an air cleaner. Still runs well, but light homeowner usage
Old 08-11-2021, 03:46 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalArianne View Post
So I have a different string trimmer I’m working on this time, a Ryobi RY26000 power head. It runs fine but it doesn’t have an air filter at all. I figured the guy I got it from just didn’t install one, but checking the manual and parts catalog doesn’t mention anything about an air filter, only to clean the air screen on the carb intake.

Has anyone ever seen a 2 cycle engine WITHOUT an air filter from the factory? Are these intake screens on the carbs supposed to act as the filter? I was just going to put a filter on it anyways but it looks like the cover closes directly to the intake, no room for a filter (unless it was paper thin).
Yep,
They been building 2 smoke boat motors for many decades, without air filters.
They figure build them whackers cheep and in 5 years when the filter would be ah needin' cleaning, the thing is plum worn out/junk and the owner done went to Blows or Home Cheepo and got hisself a plum new en.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:56 PM

This thing is already old, it’s back when Ryobi still made their stuff grey instead of Neon Green. I might find a way to put a filter in there for piece of mind, unless you think it’ll choke the engine due to air restriction since it’s not supposed to have one?
Old 08-11-2021, 04:03 PM
Grand Member

Naww no chokie hisself,
just richen the screw a bit to make up for the slight restriction of the filter.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:36 PM

All 3 Ryobi that i have owned did not have air filters oldest one purchased in 1998 , still got 2
Oz
Old 08-13-2021, 09:06 AM
Grand Member

The Ryobi I have is about 20 years old and pisses me off every time I use it.
Starts easily one time, 20 pulls the next, hot or cold.
It has an air filter (foam) but I took it off about 5 years ago in hopes of the S.O.B disintegrating
and I wouldn't feel so bad about throwing it away but it just won't die.
Don't worry about it!
Old 08-13-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
The Ryobi I have is about 20 years old and pisses me off every time I use it.
Starts easily one time, 20 pulls the next, hot or cold.
It has an air filter (foam) but I took it off about 5 years ago in hopes of the S.O.B disintegrating
and I wouldn't feel so bad about throwing it away but it just won't die.
Don't worry about it!
I had one like that a little fiddle with the screws (2) on the carby fixed it and now it runs like a swiss watch
Oz
Old 08-13-2021, 08:05 PM

I’ve always had bad luck with cranking string trimmers all my life. I’d always prime, pull a bunch of times, fiddle with the choke and pull some more, then get someone else to mess with it and they’d get it to crank right away.

But I’ll admit this Ryobi seems to have no troubles cranking if you follow the instructions on the handle. And the John Deere/Homelite one I worked in before this cranked 1-2 pulls every time no prime or choke required (thanks George for that tip). Who knows with these things it seems every brand is different ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 08-15-2021, 08:05 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozcubowner View Post
I had one like that a little fiddle with the screws (2) on the carby fixed it and now it runs like a swiss watch
Oz
Do you think in the last decade that I haven't fiddled with the screws?
I've probably worn them out. Changed carbs too.
Every time I think I've got it starting good, it runs like crap.
So I adjust it to where its running good, then it won't start next time.
And yes, Ive watched all the YouTube videos about string trimmers.
Did I mention I hate the p.o.s. but I will not let it rest in peace until the piston comes flying out!