Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kohler Engines

Notices

Old 08-07-2021, 08:58 AM

Default Solenoid/starter replacement

I have a HDS 2155 with the Kohler Command 15 OHV single cylinder engine. The guy I bought it from said it wouldn’t crank, just “click”. I put a new battery in it and it fired right up, so I assumed he had a weak battery or something.

Now it’s started doing the “click” on me sometimes when I turn the key. The oil and battery dash lights come on as they should when I turn the key, but the starter doesn’t spin and I just hear a “click”. I have to try it a few times before it will turn over, or sometimes wait a few mins and then it will fire right up.

As a test, I used a screwdriver and jumped the two posts on the solenoid and the starter spins every time so I’m thinking it’s a solenoid on its last legs?

My question is can I just replace the solenoid or do I have to replace the entire starter assembly, as they appear to be made together on this engine? I’ve never seen them made like this, usually the solenoid is entirely separate from the starter…
Old 08-07-2021, 09:27 AM
Administrator

If you had taken the time to look in the Cub parts site you would have found the answer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starter.jpg (24.8 KB, 158 views)
BX2670 with FEL
Old 08-07-2021, 09:44 AM

I mean, yes I did look at the parts diagram. But I just like having assurances before I got ordering something and find out it’s way more involved or won’t work at all. Thanks though, I feel better knowing I can spend $15 on a solenoid as opposed to $75 on the entire starter assembly
Old 08-07-2021, 12:31 PM
Grand Member

Did you check the wiring connections from the battery to solenoid? Including the ground? "Nice clean and bright" is often the remedy to poor starting and "clicking" solenoids.
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 08-07-2021, 02:02 PM

All the connections look good, the red battery cable is actually brand new as well. I can get a voltmeter and test for sure before actually ordering anything though
Old 08-07-2021, 07:08 PM
Grand Member

looks like a good ol' Delco Gm starter.
Carefully take the end cap off the sol. where the wires are attached and see if the terminals and washer/contact is corroded/ pitted and if so, clean it or turn it over if possible, and give it a try, nothing to loose.
Used to do it all the time 40 yrs ago.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:45 PM

George, I got about 20 years on you. Seems like the old GM solenoids had a problem with burning those contacts. Give the bolts a half a turn and flip the washer and it was as good as new. Was an Olds driver since 56. Wish I had that car back.

1979 IH Cub Cadet 782 w/CH20, dual hydraulics, power steering and Cat 0 three point
Old 08-07-2021, 11:08 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLause View Post
George, I got about 20 years on you. Seems like the old GM solenoids had a problem with burning those contacts. Give the bolts a half a turn and flip the washer and it was as good as new. Was an Olds driver since 56. Wish I had that car back.
Been driving bowties since '61.
The one large terminal stud for the batt-tree you can't turn unless you snip the wire and silver solder the pull-in coil wire back on.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalArianne View Post
I have a HDS 2155 with the Kohler Command 15 OHV single cylinder engine. The guy I bought it from said it wouldn’t crank, just “click”. I put a new battery in it and it fired right up, so I assumed he had a weak battery or something.

Now it’s started doing the “click” on me sometimes when I turn the key. The oil and battery dash lights come on as they should when I turn the key, but the starter doesn’t spin and I just hear a “click”. I have to try it a few times before it will turn over, or sometimes wait a few mins and then it will fire right up.

As a test, I used a screwdriver and jumped the two posts on the solenoid and the starter spins every time so I’m thinking it’s a solenoid on its last legs?

My question is can I just replace the solenoid or do I have to replace the entire starter assembly, as they appear to be made together on this engine? I’ve never seen them made like this, usually the solenoid is entirely separate from the starter…
I've had several 2000 series and they all had that problem.
I could never find the problem with them but they all always started eventually.

If you can jump from the small terminal to the large one with the battery cable on it and it starts there isn't anything wrong with the starter or solenoid. It's in the wiring on the tractor.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:48 AM

Is there anywhere in particular I should start looking in the wiring, in your experience with the 2000 series?