Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 10-13-2021, 02:13 PM

Default Bag full sensor switch

Hello again guys and gals

I have a CC1023RD 2007 garden tractor (I think it's possibly a 'Europe only' model). My basket full switch just started indicating full, all the time. I removed it, gave it a thorough cleaning, contact cleaner, etc, fixing the issue, and I have now replaced it successfully.

Having had it out, in my hands for cleaning, I saw that the real cause of the problem was that the rubber boot, around the trigger arm, has become somewhat perished, allowing ingress of dirt into the switch, from the very dirty, with lots of air movement, collection area.

Of course it would be too much to ask for the boot to be available separately, for a couple of pounds, but not to worry, I thought I would look up the price of the whole switch and trigger. Couldn't be more than £20 or £30 at the most, right?

Unless I'm drastically misunderstanding something, the full switch is part number: 725-04519

This little beauty is priced at £226, or thereabout, on whatever website I care to check, in the UK. No matter what, I am not going to spend so much money on a 'basket full' switch, regardless of whether it's useful to me or not.

So my question for all you helpful folk, is, can this switch be had from anywhere else, at a reasonable price, or is there an alternative product that can be fitted, or modified in some way, from another manufacturer?

Or, thinking as I type, can I make, or find, a rubber boot to seal the trigger arm?

If anyone has any experience of this problem, I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Sutty
Old 10-14-2021, 07:27 AM
Grand Member

Post a pix of the switch/ protector. Is it a bellows looking thing?

$310 Us dollars is just crazy!
Edit:
can you wrap a surgical glove on it?
Old 10-14-2021, 11:58 AM

Thanks for taking the time to think about my issue. The part number should show what it is, but I've just done a picture to help. Good shout.

A surgical glove finger is a very good idea, thank you. It needs to be thin enough to not impede the movement of the trigger lever, and that would definitely fit the bill. Even a washing up glove would be thinner than the original seal, and so should move freely enough, and should last a little longer.

Here is the photo. Nice and clean now, of course, lol.

Basically, the black box to the left houses a micro switch, and whichever way you move the arm, up, down, forward or backwards, it depresses the plunger on the switch.

The boot is just on the left hand end of the spring steel part of the arm. The big hole above it, is the rear discharge hole, for context. So the grass flies out of there, piles up in the basket, until there is sufficient weight, or pressure, in any direction, to move that arm.

Thanks

Sutty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sensor.jpg (16.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 10-14-2021, 01:43 PM
Grand Member

Well,
that switch looks like industrial motion switch made by Allen Bradly or Square "D"
They prolly decided to use an off the shelf switch rather than design and manufacture their own version for such a small production run of baggers.
You might find something surplus like it on ebay if you want to take the time.
Or find something like a seat switch or clutch switch for a cub or a waterproof toggle switch and steal the rubber condom from it.

Speaking of condoms, 'pose they would work also. just make sure you mention
it to the wife FIRST, so she don't put your pillow in the dog house, or call a divorce lawyer.
---Might be more costly than that a new switch.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:34 PM

lol, quality. The switch might nearly be as costly as a divorce.

Funny you should mention Square D. That brand was taken over by Schneider Electric, who I worked for for 35 years. Maybe someone I know, who still works there, in the right department, would recognise it.

I don't mind the effort of trolling through the internet searching, if I know what I'm looking for. Sadly, the silver ratings plate is completely illegible. That may have had the information I needed on it.

Anyway, I have time, I'm retired, winter is coming, and I may get away with only one more mow, or even none at all, so it should stay clean until spring.

If I don't have any luck, I will make something out of a marigold glove finger. Thank you for suggesting such an idea. The little finger, of a small set, should be the correct size for the switch side, and for the hole end, I will make it with a leather punch, just under sized for the toggle lever that protrudes.

Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:43 PM

Toggle switch sealing boots, look like they very well might do the trick. Just have to carefully check the specs, and then carefully cut off the end, where a normal toggle switch would be fully enclosed.

Your suggestion of industrial switches in general, pointed me at that.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:39 PM

So maybe saying the solution is perfect, is a little over the top, but I'm going to say it anyway, it's perfect.

I got 5 toggle switch sealing boots for about a fiver on ebay. Simply peeled the rubber part out of the plastic and metal bit that normally screws onto the toggle, cut the tip off with a modelling knife, and slid it down into position on my long lever toggle, which indicates basket full. Bottom part was a perfect fit onto the switch, and the neck was a tight fit onto my lever, and I have four more as spares, should it occur again in a few years.

Doesn't hamper the movement at all.

In action:

https://youtu.be/uaw4PuEsMwo

Thanks for helping to direct my thought process ol'George. Damned sight better than £226, for new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boot.jpg (24.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 10-24-2021, 02:27 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
So maybe saying the solution is perfect, is a little over the top, but I'm going to say it anyway, it's perfect.

I got 5 toggle switch sealing boots for about a fiver on ebay. Simply peeled the rubber part out of the plastic and metal bit that normally screws onto the toggle, and slid it down into position on my long lever toggle, which indicates basket full. Bottom part was a perfect fit onto the switch, and the neck was a tight fit onto my lever, and I have four more as spares, should it occur again in a few years.

Doesn't hamper the movement at all.

In action:

https://youtu.be/uaw4PuEsMwo

Thanks for helping to direct my thought process ol'George. Damned sight better than £226, for new.
Glad to help, and that you found something that would work without great expense.