Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Home Made

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 08:17 AM

I toyed with this once, and planned on using the JD Flex planter #71 style unit. You can now buy those units from another company that is not coming to me right now, and they are painted black. They are ground driven and easy to manipulate.

They also come with tons of plates!

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAfarmer View Post
I toyed with this once, and planned on using the JD Flex planter #71 style unit. You can now buy those units from another company that is not coming to me right now, and they are painted black. They are ground driven and easy to manipulate.

They also come with tons of plates!

Good luck.
Please update us when you can think of the company that's making this!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos View Post
Please update us when you can think of the company that's making this!
I agree!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 12-05-2011, 01:11 PM

I am guessing you are talking about the Yetter row units. I could be wrong though.

http://www.midwestwildlife.com/yetter71.php
http://www.yetterco.com/photolibrary...p?g2_itemId=52
Old 12-05-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsparl View Post
I am guessing you are talking about the Yetter row units. I could be wrong though.

Now thats what im talking about!

All i have to do now i build the frame and ill be set!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsparl View Post

Great links! Thanks for sharing.

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 12-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Do you have any farm equipment sales places around you? In central and eastern Pennsylvania there are a few large places that will sell you pieces and parts. You can go to these type of places and buy just the planter units (or only a few of them) off of a larger piece of equipment and build something similar to what these pictures show. I would go this route for corn as the hand push type planters often have a very small seed hopper. This is fine for small vegetable seeds, but with corn or soy beans you would spend more time filling the hoppers than you would on the tractor.

For corn that is usually 30 - 36 apart in rows, I'd stick with a 2 row planter. Those two extra rows means a lot extra equipment and required HP and torque. If you don't mind buying used stuff, watch craigslist or ebay for old John Deere/International/Oliver/etc. pull type two row planters. These can be had for a few hundred dollars and are often in great shape, they've just been replaced by 12 row planters as farmers have scaled up. Plus if it is John Deere or International you may still be able to get parts for it - maybe. The other advantage of this equipment is that it is heavily built and wouldn't mind being used in rough ground for food plots.

I've really been wrestling with this same issue a lot lately. My wife and I have been steadily expanding our garden and I'd like to use my Honda powered 2082. I purchased a large set of drag disks and they work well, but I need to add weight to them - they are large though about 20 inches in diameter only one row and they levers to adjust the angle. I would like to build a strip till unit to that I could leave a good mulch layer between rows or corn or sunflowers.

My concerns are this:
I don't have a Cat 0, so I would have to factor that into the cost of the project. Would the cat 0 lift the strip till (or planter) high enough to be useful. Would I just be better off buying an old Allis Chalmers that I've been wanting for a while? The allis has full cat 1 three point hitch and a 5 foot brush hog and a 2 bottom plow. But the cub wouldn't compact the ground as much

Sorry for the rambling - but I love to talk small scale farming.

Good luck,
Ross

1984 Troy-Bilt 8hp Professional Horse PTO with fewer hours than my wifes new hair drier. Also came with PTO chipper/shredder.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:58 PM

I see an interesting fabrication AND a set of duals in your future..
50C Deck
42" Hydraulic Angle Front Blade
41" IH Rear Blade
QA42A Snowthrower
Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrager View Post
Do you have any farm equipment sales places around you? In central and eastern Pennsylvania there are a few large places that will sell you pieces and parts. You can go to these type of places and buy just the planter units (or only a few of them) off of a larger piece of equipment and build something similar to what these pictures show. I would go this route for corn as the hand push type planters often have a very small seed hopper. This is fine for small vegetable seeds, but with corn or soy beans you would spend more time filling the hoppers than you would on the tractor.

For corn that is usually 30 - 36 apart in rows, I'd stick with a 2 row planter. Those two extra rows means a lot extra equipment and required HP and torque. If you don't mind buying used stuff, watch craigslist or ebay for old John Deere/International/Oliver/etc. pull type two row planters. These can be had for a few hundred dollars and are often in great shape, they've just been replaced by 12 row planters as farmers have scaled up. Plus if it is John Deere or International you may still be able to get parts for it - maybe. The other advantage of this equipment is that it is heavily built and wouldn't mind being used in rough ground for food plots.

I've really been wrestling with this same issue a lot lately. My wife and I have been steadily expanding our garden and I'd like to use my Honda powered 2082. I purchased a large set of drag disks and they work well, but I need to add weight to them - they are large though about 20 inches in diameter only one row and they levers to adjust the angle. I would like to build a strip till unit to that I could leave a good mulch layer between rows or corn or sunflowers.

My concerns are this:
I don't have a Cat 0, so I would have to factor that into the cost of the project. Would the cat 0 lift the strip till (or planter) high enough to be useful. Would I just be better off buying an old Allis Chalmers that I've been wanting for a while? The allis has full cat 1 three point hitch and a 5 foot brush hog and a 2 bottom plow. But the cub wouldn't compact the ground as much

Sorry for the rambling - but I love to talk small scale farming.

Good luck,
Ross
These are the exact view points ive been looking for and ive thought of them myself. There are a few two row planters for sale on craigslist right now and they arent too big to not be pulled behind my cub. so ill see what i can do about getting one of those or atleast some upclose pics of one and judge on how to procede with this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog784 View Post
I see an interesting fabrication AND a set of duals in your future..
You would be correct on both accounts!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:55 PM

I couldn't help but keep looking into this.

I got some prices on the 71 series planters they are about $1000 per row unit or $3200 for a full two row setup (comes with the tool bar/hitch). Pretty steep compared to the pull type equipment that keeps surfacing on Craigslist. You could find some used John Deere equipment that uses the model 71 planter for decent prices if you look hard.

As a side note, I saw that Yetter also made a strip till unit. I called the company and asked what the Horsepower requirements for this are. They said 25 - 30hp when pulled 6in deep - $2400 for a fully optioned row unit, I guess I won't be buying one of these anytime soon.

Ross

1984 Troy-Bilt 8hp Professional Horse PTO with fewer hours than my wifes new hair drier. Also came with PTO chipper/shredder.