Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 04-21-2022, 09:09 PM

Default Cub Cadet 149 hydrostatic Issue

Hello, I recently joined because I have an issue with my 1973 Cub Cadet 149 hydrostatic lawn tractor. I took it over my grandfather’s house to replace the part where the shifter input goes into the transmission and some seals. We tore apart a donor transmission out of a Cub Cadet 107. It was nearly the same except it did not have ports for the hydraulic cylinder. We took the shifter input part (I do not know what to call it, I drew an arrow in a picture to the part) from the donor transmission and put it in my transmission because they were identical. We replaced some seals and put it all back together. It seemed everything went together perfectly. Almost 2 weeks ago we put it back in the tractor and put 7 quarts of hy-Tran in it. All the linkage was properly connected and none of the pins were sheared from the driveshaft to the pump. We jacked the rear up for a bit to help oil get into the pump. We started it up and it would not move or lift the hydraulic cylinder. We had the top cover off the transmission and could see fluid going through the pump and returning to the transmission. When we put it in gear some bubbles came out. We moved the lever for probably 15 minutes until no bubbles came out, but it still would not move or lift the cylinder. We took out the left relief valve because it was frozen up and replaced it with one that appeared to be identical from the other transmission. When we took the old out, we turned over the engine and fluid seemed to be moving. With it replaced and running, we pushed down both relief valves and the right one came back up and the left one stayed down. I do not know if there is air in the system and if that is why it will not work. We tried again a week later, we jacked the rear up as high as it could go and took out the relief valves and ports and filled them with oil. Still nothing. Does anyone have any ideas? I will not be able to try anything til Sunday when I am over my grandfather’s house again. Thanks for any input! (I can only attach 1 image, but it is probably something I am doing wrong, I was never good with technology).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F36FB4D2-D51D-446E-8D6B-68264C0F7AB4.jpg (35.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 04-21-2022, 09:46 PM
Grand Member

Let's start with this..... Did you replace the filter when you added 7 quarts of oil? Not just that it fits...the RIGHT filter!

https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 04-21-2022, 10:49 PM

So you must have completely dissembled the hydrostat then?
Old 04-22-2022, 05:51 AM

I did replace the filter. I used a NAPA Gold 1410. This is what I put in it about 3 years ago when I changed the hydraulic fluid and I did not have any issues. Yes, the pump was nearly completely apart to replace the shifter input, but I really can’t think of anything that would have been put back together incorrectly. If I did put something back together incorrectly, the housing would not have bolted back together as well as it did. Plus I had another set of eyes and a few diagrams to help be sure it all went together correctly.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Welcome to OCC.........

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 04-22-2022, 08:44 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickV123 View Post
Hello, I recently joined because I have an issue with my 1973 Cub Cadet 149 hydrostatic lawn tractor. I took it over my grandfather’s house to replace the part where the shifter input goes into the transmission and some seals. We tore apart a donor transmission out of a Cub Cadet 107. It was nearly the same except it did not have ports for the hydraulic cylinder. We took the shifter input part (I do not know what to call it, I drew an arrow in a picture to the part) from the donor transmission and put it in my transmission because they were identical. We replaced some seals and put it all back together. It seemed everything went together perfectly. Almost 2 weeks ago we put it back in the tractor and put 7 quarts of hy-Tran in it. All the linkage was properly connected and none of the pins were sheared from the driveshaft to the pump. We jacked the rear up for a bit to help oil get into the pump. We started it up and it would not move or lift the hydraulic cylinder. We had the top cover off the transmission and could see fluid going through the pump and returning to the transmission. When we put it in gear some bubbles came out. We moved the lever for probably 15 minutes until no bubbles came out, but it still would not move or lift the cylinder. We took out the left relief valve because it was frozen up and replaced it with one that appeared to be identical from the other transmission. When we took the old out, we turned over the engine and fluid seemed to be moving. With it replaced and running, we pushed down both relief valves and the right one came back up and the left one stayed down. I do not know if there is air in the system and if that is why it will not work. We tried again a week later, we jacked the rear up as high as it could go and took out the relief valves and ports and filled them with oil. Still nothing. Does anyone have any ideas? I will not be able to try anything til Sunday when I am over my grandfather’s house again. Thanks for any input! (I can only attach 1 image, but it is probably something I am doing wrong, I was never good with technology).
Both relief valves have to have the buttons "UP" or you will not have pressure.
The "shifter" is called a trunnion.
Did you put the charge pump back on the way it came off? paying attention to the flat milled where one of the 2 bolts hold it to the case? if the charge pump is turned 180 degrees, it no workie.
If I'm understanding correctly, you took the hydro apart internally? if so,
hopefully you reassembled it using the factory manual as many things
can be assembled incorrectly. causing a "no workie" situation.
It is imperative that it is assembled correctly and hygienically clean.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:04 AM

Both of the relief valves are up. We pushed them down while it was running and the right hand one stayed down and the left hand one came back up (like it should). We took the right one out to push the valve back to the up position and put it back in, but it still did not work. The charge pump is installed correctly, I drew lines with sharpie on the case to make sure everything went back together properly. We did take the hydro apart internally to a certain extent. We split the hydro case and was able to change the trunnion with out moving anything else internally. We were sure to keep the area clean. We did not have the manual to look at to reassemble it, but we used several diagrams to make sure it went together the way it came apart.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:20 AM

If it worked before you took it apart, it's probably not the release valves. Did you take the lift system relief valve out?

It's possible that one of the brass lens plates is not sitting flat on the head, Could be sitting up on locating a pin.

And you put the two pins back in to the trunnion/trunnion shaft?

I'm assuming that the wheels aren't turning either.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:21 PM
Grand Member

I'd take one more look at that charge pump and if that's not it, possibly repeat the procedure WITH a shop manual.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:15 AM

I checked the washers on the valves, they appeared to be properly seated. I did put the pins back in the trunnion. The wheels are not turning and the hydraulic lift does not work either. I took back off the charge pump to check if it was on correctly and it was. I hooked up a pressurized oil tank to the pump and got the hydraulic cylinder to come up, but it would not turn the wheels. If I run out of ideas, I found an identical hydro pump off if a John Deere, the only issue is that the trunnion is different. Is the pump self priming, or is there any way to manually prime it? I have tried to fill it up with oil to prime it, but I am not sure that is the proper way. I read the manual online that tells how to disassemble the pump, and everything we did followed the instructions. It did not mention how to prime the pump.