Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Welcome to OCC > Welcome to OnlyCubCadets

Notices

Old 03-29-2022, 10:54 AM

Default Hello from Canada!

Hey folks Brian here, it looks like a pretty decent community here and I've been lurking for awhile so I thought it was time to sign up!

I guess I'm a bit of a tractor nut as I have more than I need but most run and they all have their own uses! A few months ago I found a 1973(ish) CC 149 sitting under a tree beside a creek, back in behind a customers work shop and when I inquiried about it he said I could have it! It's missing quite alot but also has alot of important items still attached such as all the controls and the hydraulic cylinder so that's a bonus! It could be awhile before I get any serious work done on it but I should have it back on wheels soon at least! I have no idea of the hydro status or really anything else about it, it appears to have been used as a parts machine and sitting under that tree is a terrible way to go so I feel I rescued it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220329-103731_Gallery.jpg (45.6 KB, 53 views)

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Old 03-29-2022, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Welcome to OCC...........

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 03-29-2022, 08:10 PM

Hi Brianator, Great to see another fellow Canadian loving these remarkable machines. Man, you have your work cut out there. I'm no expert, but if I was in your shoes I would try to pick up another suitable parts tractor (149 or maybe 129/169) to make one good one. In my experience ebay used parts have been a crap shoot for quality and pretty much as expensive as new. The OCC website has some recommended vendors and I have used both "Parts by Jeff" and "Cub Cadet Specialties". They both shipped to Canada and provided professional service to me. I really look forward to seeing the progress you make on that great tractor and hearing about what it will take to get it back into service. Take your time and Good Luck!

Ross
Old 03-29-2022, 09:41 PM

Thanks guys! Hey rsshallop I know Minden and have been there a few times, I'm way down hwy 11 between Barrie and Orillia. This Cubby will probably be a long term project as I already have 2 tractor builds on the go plus a old dirtbike to put back together and a couple other projects on the go as well... lol. I really don't need another tractor kicking around, didn't need the Cub either but I couldn't let it just sit and rot under that tree, it makes tractor #6! I've already ordered a pair of steering knuckles for a decent price so I can get it on wheels, I'm planning on making my own steering linkages with what parts I have kicking around so I can roll it around then I suppose I'll have to make a driveshaft so I can test out the hydro system, I have no idea if it works or not so I'm not willing to start buying parts until I know (aside from the knuckles).

With my derelict 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydrostatic I actually used a drill with a pulley and belt to fill/prime the system and see if it would show me a sign of life which it did so I put a temporary motor "plate" and motor in it for further testing, now I'm partway through building it into a "tow tractor" recovery rig/mudder with an old 16hp B&S single. Bolens guys can curse me all they want but I saved it from being turned into scrap metal which is really all it was good for! Lol. Better to give it afterlife than let it be shredded right?!

Not sure what direction I'll go with the Cub yet, time will tell!

Sorry for the rant!

Old 03-30-2022, 03:33 PM

I have to say this place is awesome! The amount of information I'm finding as I browse around to learn a little bit about my 149 (and all CCs for that matter) is incredible!

I know this isn't really the right spot for this but I'm not ready to actually get working on it or start a thread for it so I'm just going to post a few things here for reference.

Today I had a preliminary inspection of it for the first time and this is what I found:

The Good:
- The steering wheel and box are free and smooth.
- The Hydros input flange is present.
- When I turn the input flange by hand it sure feels like there's fluid in it (based on the smooth resistance I felt).
- It still has the voltage regulator installed under the seat.
- The chassis looks strait and solid.
- All controls and levers are present
- The hydraulic lines appear to be in good shape

The Bad:
- The front axle has a spindle bushing on one side but not the other
- All controls aside from the steering and throttle are seized
- It's obviously missing alot of parts! Lol.

So to install the spindles I'll need to make/match a bushing for the spindle bolt on one side (even if it's just a temporary setup), then I can toss some wheels on it so I can make steering linkages which will allow me to roll it around to work on it. To test the hydro I'll need to free up the F/R drive controls, make a temporary flange and shaft out of scrap metal and 1/2" round stock so I can chuck it in a cordless drill to spin it up. If that goes well I'll free up the control valve/linkage to test the lift cylinder.

If all that goes well I'll plop in a test motor I have (Honda G200 - 5.5HP), make a motor adapter, a rag joint and driveshaft w/flange for it so I can move it around to work on it further and drive it around the yard. I don't have a shop or barn to work on it in, just a workshed for my tools so I need to be able to pull it up to work on it and drive it around back after I'm done.

If I can have it at least running and driving around this summer I'll be a happy guy!

Old 03-31-2022, 08:45 AM

Welcome to the forum Brian. Looks like a lot of interesting adventures
putting that machine in the driving mode.
I find very few if any old Cubs in MT. for parts etc. Can't imagine Canada
is any easier. Am always curious how machines like you have even end
up in your neck of the woods.

Ken
Old 03-31-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Valley G View Post
Welcome to the forum Brian. Looks like a lot of interesting adventures
putting that machine in the driving mode.
I find very few if any old Cubs in MT. for parts etc. Can't imagine Canada is any easier. Am always curious how machines like you have even end
up in your neck of the woods.

Ken
Thank you and oh yeah it will be interesting that's for sure! It's actually the same procedure and engine I used to get some proof of life and concept from my Bolens 1225 except it had steering and a driveshaft! Lol.

CCs are the most popular tractors I've even seen even still after they were acquired by MTD, there's plenty of old IH ones kicking around here but they're either being hidden away by fanatics, only mowing on Sundays or being stripped and left to die like mine. I saw 2 102's, a 127, a couple other models, Original parts and other wide frame parts for sale on the local buy and sell just last night and those are just ones within 100kms of me!

Bolens are far tougher to find 'round here as are their parts and I'm in no way knocking CCs as I love them as well and understand why they have such a strong following but Bolens tube frames are my favorite and always will be, I love how unique and ahead of their time they were.

With that said I'm SUPER excited to bring my 149 back to life and am thinking it will eventually be a serious and capable workhorse! I need some proof of life from it then I'll be on the hunt for a serious motor it, I'd like to find either an 14hp like what came in it but would prefer a 16hp that came in the 169, I also won't turn my nose down at a 12hp for the right price. I'd like to keep it period correct and Kohler for puritys sake plus I haven't owned one yet!

Old 03-31-2022, 08:05 PM

From what I have read, International Harvester did have a pretty extensive manufacturing plant in Hamilton (southern Ontario) from the beginning of the 20th century to about 1980, manufacturing mostly implements and in the 50's even some crawlers. Anyway, there were definitely IH dealers in and around Hamilton and farming equipment was also sold into the Prairies. From what I have noticed looking at used Cubs online, a lot of what I find is in the southern Ontario region.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:26 AM
Grand Member

Welcome to OCC, and good luck with your project.
38" LT mower deck, 4 42" triangle mower decks, 2 44A mower decks, 2 50C mower decks, 42” GT deck, 3 42" snow/dirt blades, 42" landscape rake, #4 cart