Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 07:14 AM

Well it's developed another belt-shredding problem. I guess I didn't mention it before, but when I first got it, it had an issue with shredding the PTO belt. I found out that the pulley on the PTO engagement arm was causing the problem because it was about 1.5cm out of alignment. I resolved this issue by cutting the pulley spacer in half which brought the idler up closer to the frame - it's worked fine ever since.

Recently it's been shredding deck belts. It only seems to happen when I get into really long, dense grass. The belt seems to just melt apart. The first time it happened, I blamed it on the fact that the old belt was probably original and very dry-rotted. After purchasing a new belt, the "belt-slap" went away and it seemed to work great. But it "melted" this belt last night when I was mowing some long, dense grass. I was in 3rd gear so it's not like I was going too fast.

I did disassemble both spindles when I had the deck apart a couple of weeks ago and both of them seemed intact. There is a little resistance when turned but no grinding or wobbling. The idler pulley is a different story though - the bearing in it is trashed. I thought it was just noisy and didn't know it would make the belt do this.

I'm going to try replacing the bearing to see if this fixes the problem (if nothing else, it will DEFINITELY quiet the deck down a lot). Any tips or experiences that you guys could give me would be cool.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 PM

Are you using OEM belts?
Old 08-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Nope, belts from the hardware store, NAPA, or Tractor Supply. Wherever I'm closer to on any given day. Short of ordering them online and waiting a week, I have no way of getting OEM belts since the nearest place that deals with Cub Cadet parts has the same working hours as I do.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:24 PM

That's part of your problem.

Fix the tensioner first, but I don't think that's going to do it. Hardware store, NAPA, etc. belts are NOT the same.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 PM

Interesting. Thanks for your reply. I ALWAYS buy OEM (Motorcraft) parts for my cars, but I guess I thought a lawn & garden v-belt was a lawn & garden v-belt.

I'm going to stop by the dealer in the morning to see if they have Saturday hours and hopefully they have the belt in stock. If not, I'll order it online. I'll also take off both the drive belt idler pulley and the deck tensioner pulley and see about getting the bearings replaced.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Pics of the carnage (this belt had less than 3 hours on it):

Bought some goodies today at the dealer (they do have Saturday hours!):

I installed all the parts and that seemed to correct the deck belt problem. There is a HUGE difference between the cheapie belt and the OEM belt. I don't see how anybody has any sort of success with hardware store belts.

I also took the opportunity to adjust the clutch to try to get the pedal to stop bouncing around when the tractor was in motion. No matter what way I adjusted the clutch rod/ball joint, I couldn't get it to stop bouncing. The excess play in the pedal before it engages is gone now though, and so is the slight slippage that was occurring when going up hills.

However, I have a new problem pertaining to the drive belt now. I'll start by saying it is definitely an incorrect belt (too long) and it's pretty worn. Now that the clutch pedal seems to be adjusted properly, it keeps throwing the belt off of the rear end pulley.

I can't blame the tractor or Cub Cadet for all these problems - it's the previous owner(s) for sure. I don't understand why people adjust things and install guides, rods, springs, etc. incorrectly when there are things called owners' manuals and parts diagrams online.

Slowly but surely, I keep returning things to factory adjustment and replacing parts, and each time it seems to operate a little better - but it also reveals even more issues that need fixed.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

I'm glad your making progress. A new OEM belt with fix your drive belt problem. Your getting there some times it takes a while to beat or spend the PO out of these to make it right. It's well worth it inthe end tho.

Keep us posted and great pics!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:03 PM

Quick question - anybody know if 18x9.50x8 tires will fit my tractor?

(stock size is 18x8.50x8)

I found a STEAL on a set of Carlisle rear ag tires and I'll definitely pick them up if the guy calls me back and if they'll fit.

I know the rim size is correct but I'm wondering if that extra inch of width would cause them to rub on the frame.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:36 PM

Hey nezwick Just found your intro thread here. I work in PUNXY all the time for Jacks HVAC. I just put a furnace in right over the hill from ya just past the church on the left, Kinda dumpy place. I would say about ten years ago maybe more I did a bunch of remodeling on that half pink building in your yard,. Dosent that guy own the pizza hut or something and paint houses on the side? Whats going on with that place if I remember right we put a decent kitchen and a new bath in there and he was rubbing that pink crap on the outside while we were at it?
I recognized the Telephone exchange in your first photo right away. Last I was buy it had a banner that read broadband something or other on the front.
Small world. I would check out that tractor in summerville right away but go low I know its been sitting out there for a couple months now maybe you can grab it cheap. The place is called the primitive doll house or something like that. You have to drive past it then come back around the back. Its some kind of half ass Herb shop or something.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 AM

Definitely a small world. I know the place you're talking about in Summerville.

Actually, this property was foreclosed by the bank in 2008 or something like that, so that dude no longer owns it. My landlord bought the big pink/white building (originally a general store around the turn of the century) and the big brown-pink building next to it. He has been working on completely gutting this building and adding nice, new apartments.

The other building used to be an Oddfellows Lodge back in the day, but now is just used as junk storage by my landlord. His plans for it include jacking it up because the middle is sagging badly, and turning it into a garage for his equipment.

My building is a complete cess-pool inside, with the exception of my Apartments 1 (mine) and 5 which he has already gutted and remodeled. I wouldn't be living here if it was in the same condition as the rest of the apartments. Do you happen to remember which apartment you remodelled ten years ago? There is one upstairs that has a really nice kitchen in comparison to the rest of the apartments.

Either way, these are the tires I'm trying to snag:
http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/cl...adindex=867545
I left two messages at both numbers yesterday but he hasn't called me back yet.