Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 07-22-2013, 06:42 PM

With the new battery re-charged it cranked using bypass method and hot-wire method but won't fully turn over to a running engine.
Leadslingingdaddy: I did miss that amidst all the posting. Sorry and thank you as well!
Jonathan and Sam Mac: I will try what you recommend. So when you lay the plug on the block am I trying to crank with the key or using the bypass hot wire method, or doesn't it matter?
Still need to pick up a light meter. There isn't an auto parts store between home and work and needed to get home today right after work. I'll hopefully get one soon. The grass is starting to get high! It's raining anyway so I wouldn't even be able to mow.
Thanks all!
eric
Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 PM

Default Quick update

see my previous post first but I did just have the battery connected and used the key to crank with the spark plug out. There is plenty of air coming out of the spark plug hole. I am guessing that I need to bypass/hotwire the machine to see if I can get spark out of the plug but I want to verify with you guys before I try it. Is it possible that all of this is the result of a combination of a bad spark plug coupled with dead batteries (or at least ones that aren't holding a charge)? Maybe I should get a new plug even though this one doesn't look to bad.
Thanks
eric
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Banned

The first thing you need to do is get it cranking with the key. I had you bypass only to test the starter and battery to make sure they are good. If it will crank with the key, do it that way ALWAYS. No need to bypass anymore, that test is done. If it won't crank with the key, we have other problems that need fixed first before we proceed.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 PM

It cranks using the key but it doesn't turn over. Based on the advice Sam Mac gave he mentioned putting the plug on the engine block to see if I have spark in it. How is that possible if not bypass hot wiring? I have it sitting on the block when I used the key to crank it and the spark plug did nothing, as I would expect.
Thanks!
eric
Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric kancar View Post
It cranks using the key but it doesn't turn over. Based on the advice Sam Mac gave he mentioned putting the plug on the engine block to see if I have spark in it. How is that possible if not bypass hot wiring? I have it sitting on the block when I used the key to crank it and the spark plug did nothing, as I would expect.
Thanks!
eric
If you did as I suggested and removed the white wire from the mag and you have no spark when cranking it only 2 possibilities bad mag or bad spark plug. She's a no a gonna go with a no spark.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 07-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Banned

Ok. Lets clear up some terms. "Cranks over", "Cranks", "Turns over" all mean the same thing. When the starter actually starts the motor, it is called running. Don't say "it cranks, but won't won't turn over" it is a contradiction of terms.

Go back up and read my and Sam's posts. We said to disconnect the wire that runs to the mag and test.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 PM

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. The engine cranks with key. Does not run.
I actually forgot to disconnect the wire as suggested the first time. Just did so now, turned the key and the engine cranked but the spark plug (lying in the engine block) did not spark. Bad spark plug?
Thanks for schooling me. I have learned a lot!
You guys are the doctors or engines. Too bad mechanics don't get paid nearly enough or the same as doctors!
eric
Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Administrator

OK assuming that you had the metal portion of the spark plug in contact with the metal of the engine as you cranked it and you got no spark then as I said bad plug or bad mag. Since a spark plug is a couple dollars and the Mag is more like $40 (just a guess) I'd go and pick up a plug and try it. any auto parts store should be able to hook you up. If that doesn't work then it's time for a new mag. Not a big deal to replace, 2 screws and just set the gap properly.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 07-22-2013, 08:01 PM

Thanks Sam! I did have the plug in contact with the metal and actually tried it in several locations on the block just to make sure. What and where is the mag?
I really appreciate everyone's time and advice.
eric
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric kancar View Post
Too bad mechanics don't get paid nearly enough or the same as doctors!
Yeah...... if that was the case, I'd be a millionaire!!! A lot of years before I retire, and I've been doing this too long already!

Tags
battery, engine wont start