Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 04-21-2019, 09:47 PM

Default 3240 has no hydro functions, no fwd or rev

I hope I’m in the right forum, Got this 2001 40 Annv 3240 model second hand. Motor runs great. I have taken the aux charge pump off and it looks fine. I have done some research but have some questions. The shaft that drives the charge pump is in tacked. If the lines are block at the power steering pump shouldn’t you still have fwd and rev? I was able to loosen one of the check valves on the charge pump very carefully but only a trickle of oil came out with some air. The hydro fluid is full. Don’t know when it was last serviced but fluid looks clean and I did noticed it has a wix filter on it but haven’t got the number yet cause it was facing downward. I plan on removing and inspecting the power steering. But one of my questions is would the auxiliary system effect fwd and rev? And what is the most likely cause to my issues?
Old 04-22-2019, 05:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Taz, welcome to OCC. I have a question or 2.

Does the power steering and deck lift work normal?

If they do then take a good look at the axles and hubs. They are splined and some people have had them get stripped causing the axle to just spin in the hub. Here is what they should look like. If you can't pull them just take a Sharpie and mark them and try and drive the tractor then check to see if your mark has moved.
DSCN1429.jpg DSCN1430.jpg

The 3240 has the locking differential with the cast iron rear and they have had issues with the internals coming loose. This could also be an issue but requires some major work. You may be able to run a small scope down the fill tube with the fluid drained and look around inside. I would also cut the filter open and see if you have some metal inside of it.

It never hurts to change the fluid and filter. For testing purposes you can use a cheaper fluid instead of the high dollar Cub stuff. I run Rotella 15w-40 in most of my machines now or the Tractor Supply fluid with a Wix 51410 filter or a filter from Cub Cadet.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:06 PM

Default No hydro

Nothing works no ps, fwd, rev, no lift, motor seams to run strong but can’t put a stress on it. I removed the aux pump the one on top on transaxle, it looks fine, I don’t know any of the history. The tractor and problem were just handed down to me to deal with. And before I really tear it apart I was going to change the fluid and filter to see if that helps.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazfix View Post
Nothing works no ps, fwd, rev, no lift, motor seams to run strong but can’t put a stress on it. I removed the aux pump the one on top on transaxle, it looks fine, I don’t know any of the history. The tractor and problem were just handed down to me to deal with. And before I really tear it apart I was going to change the fluid and filter to see if that helps.
You say you took the charge pump apart. If you reinstalled the gerotor assembly 180 degrees off you will end up with no hydraulic movement. Ask me how I know. BTDT.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazfix View Post
http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/hg-50761

Looking at the pic in the link and the mounting bolt holes at three and nine o'clock if you rotate the assembly 180 degrees the pump won't work. The orientation in the pic is I believe correct. Possibly someone could of had it apart before you. Worth a check.