Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 07:26 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge trucker View Post
what is damaged in that pic from towing? just the bullets laying on their sides? time for Sunstrand Hydro 103....
It appears they are spring loaded, looks like they just popped out of place.
I have a hydro from a 129 that would only go forward, did not even have a neutral, let alone reverse. Could this be from moving around without releasing plungers? I have another hydro that I am installing on that tractor so I can get it back operational sooner, I want to dig into it and see what might be wrong within, largely for the experience of it. I have another nice 129 frame without an engine or transmission, if I can fix this hydro I may look for an engine and try to put this other 129 together..... never have had one of these hydro units apart. I have located a couple of seal/ gasket kits via Ebay that don't seem terribly expensive.
(NO, I am NOT gonna send it in for the $1500 "rebuild service" that is advertised there, for one of these units)

there is a guy about 20 miles from me that has all of the innards of a hydro from a 149 listed on Ebay right now. I'm thinking of biting on it for spare parts.
That pin in the swash plate remains inside the shaft, do not try to drive it through, it has to end up centered in the trunnion shaft, take your time or you will be unhappy...
Old 04-27-2019, 01:26 PM

Default A couple of questions

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just got done pulling the seat/fender pan of my 149 to get a good look at the condition of the trunion. Like alot of old machines the trunion shows the expected wear in the corners. I have concerns about the trunion shaft and its connection to the pump, my question is how much "play" should there be? Basically left to right the trunion has maybe 1/16" play, is that OK?
Old 04-27-2019, 02:02 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
I have gotten mixed responses on this. I have the typical problem of the two lower corners being worn. Not having welding capability, I was wondering if there are other options.

I did this over six years ago. It's still working well.

https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/...ad.php?t=26356
Old 04-27-2019, 07:04 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge trucker View Post
what is damaged in that pic from towing? just the bullets laying on their sides? time for Sunstrand Hydro 103....
It appears they are spring loaded, looks like they just popped out of place.
I have a hydro from a 129 that would only go forward, did not even have a neutral, let alone reverse. Could this be from moving around without releasing plungers? I have another hydro that I am installing on that tractor so I can get it back operational sooner, I want to dig into it and see what might be wrong within, largely for the experience of it. I have another nice 129 frame without an engine or transmission, if I can fix this hydro I may look for an engine and try to put this other 129 together..... never have had one of these hydro units apart. I have located a couple of seal/ gasket kits via Ebay that don't seem terribly expensive.
(NO, I am NOT gonna send it in for the $1500 "rebuild service" that is advertised there, for one of these units)

there is a guy about 20 miles from me that has all of the innards of a hydro from a 149 listed on Ebay right now. I'm thinking of biting on it for spare parts.
The slipper feet are crushed/galled and the retainer ring is broken. The feet (the brass things) piled up and cracked the casing. These pistons are not spring loaded, they are hydraulically driven. There is a good article in the tech section on how hydros work. The service manual explains it pretty well, too.

If you are very methodical, and follow the service manual instructions exactly (especially removing the swash plate) and you'll manage. If you put a part in backwards (easy to do)it won't work. So keep everything in exact order.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:10 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrehm View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just got done pulling the seat/fender pan of my 149 to get a good look at the condition of the trunion. Like alot of old machines the trunion shows the expected wear in the corners. I have concerns about the trunion shaft and its connection to the pump, my question is how much "play" should there be? Basically left to right the trunion has maybe 1/16" play, is that OK?
As long as it's not leaking, a bit of play is fine.
As for the worn spring slot, you can cut off and weld a new rectangle on, spot weld the corners and file back to shape, weld on some strips of key stock, braze some strips of key stock (just need a propane or Mapp torch and a flux coated brazing rod), epoxy some strips of key stock (make sure it's clean).

Replace the springs in the process! As there is really no pressure on the sides of the slots, epoxy gluing some strips of key stock should work fine for many years.