Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 PM

Thanks a million for all of the advice. It is very helpful, and I agree about having fun tinkering and restoring. I'd gladly check out some of you guys' machines if anyone is near northern West Virginia. I'm about 45 min. southwest of Pittsburgh PA, and can see Ohio across the river, out my window.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 PM

I definately agree about this being an addiction. Its like the lays patato chip comercial...bet you cant eat just one. well its hard to only have one cub. I started out with a cub 1000. posted an ad online looking for parts and all of a sudden I now have a cub 100 im completly redoing. a cub 129 that just needs and engine rebuild. it runs but smokes real bad. a cub 124. a cub 88 parts tractor, and a cadet 80. ive got the yellow fever pretty bad. but im loving every minute of it. have fun.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 PM

Default Picking up a Cub Cadet

Fixing up a Cadet is good therapy. Its like saving a broken tooth, when you leave the dentist and the numbness goes away and its all good again, its like saving a Cub. Priced about the same too!

I talk to my family Doc a couple months ago and told him I was restoring to use a Cadet. He took me in his office and showed me pictures of a Super C he had just restored. So I came home and told my wife it had to be good medicine.

Leaving the jokes aside, they will all need some work, so be prepared to wrench a little. If you are inclined to fix things you will love a Cadet.
Dave in SW Missouri
Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 PM

Dang, that last post went before I was ready.... darn laptop touchpad.

Anyway, original poster here....and

I did run across a dealer who is about 2.5 hrs away, and has a wide selection of newer and older models, so that I can compare some different styles / models, etc. He was very helpful on the phone, and seems to have a good reputation. It's hard to compare much around home here, just seeing one on rare occasion.

What CC123 said above makes sense, about just picking one, and getting it fixed up. I don't want to be overly particular, while the good deals get snatched up before spring.

The only issue I'm a little undecided about is this: I'm mostly seeing deals in my price range on older narrow frame models, but also like the idea of the Quietline style. Quieter would be good for me, but after reading some posts, I'm not so sure if the Quietline is that much quieter, or if maybe it's more important to have the older ones properly tuned, tightened, aligned, good motor mounts, etc. I haven't been around any lawn tractors for a while, but it seems to me that most are about as noisy as a push mower. Any thoughts on that?

Hopefully I can get a good comparison of several different styles if I drive to the dealer this weekend. Will update. Thx again.

Josh .... Also: I do have a volt meter. How would I go about checking the charging system?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 PM

I think it's more important to have it all fixed up. I restored a 100 a couple years ago, and other than the noisy pepperpot muffler, it was the quietest tractor I have ever owned. After welding up cracks and wear in stuff and putting many new parts in it, nothing rattled at all. The only noise when operating it was the engine.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:57 AM

Hey Guitar Guy you got to be really close I live in Warwood.

Tim.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 AM

Thx for all of the welcomes, and suggestion, folks. Great forum here for sure!! I've been reading, learning, and defining my needs. I'll most likely not go for a tiller and snowblower for my first CC, rather just a deck and snow blade. I'm going to post an ad in the "want" section for what I'm in the market for at this point in time ... subject to change, of course.

Yup Tim, I'm one town up the river from ya. You could likely get here on one tank of gas on your CC, up the bike trail. I call it Mayberry, but the little green sign says Beech Bottom. Stay in touch.

Josh
Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Grand Member

Well said, Bill!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 PM

One thing I have learned in the 5 years I have spent messing with a now 41 year old truck and the one year I have spent with my 43 year old tractor is that you will always spend more money making repairs and upgrades than you will spend to get an old tractor ( truck, car, boat, house, etc) that has already been repaired or upgraded provided the work is done correctly.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 PM

I would try to buy from a member here. I don't post a lot but this sparked my interest because I was exactly where you are about 6 years ago. I now have more tractors than my wife thinks the entire neighborhood needs. Everyone I have dealt with is honest and has the "preservation of history" theme at heart and will not steer you wrong. My first was a barn find and was a lot of work. My second came from e-pay and was too far away and I paid way too much for what I got. Very valuable but expensive lessons at the same time. Figure out what you want and what you can pay and you will find it here. Just my two cents worth....