Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 10-18-2016, 04:50 PM

I got to mow the yard this weekend and actually spend some time on the tractor. It definitely has an issue with it popping out of 1st and reverse, but if I hold the lever in position it stays, but that is not practical. I mowed the yard in 2nd gear and learned to feather the clutch a little up the hill to keep the engine from bogging down. I did see some oil on the mower deck when I was done and it looked like engine oil, so when I take her down the road to get the clutch issue dealt with that will get added to the list and I should probably have the service guys change all of the fluids while they have her, this way next year she will be ready for anything and I have a little comfort that everything was done properly. She felt much different than my Craftsman mower as I did not feel like I was sliding out of the seat on the slopes and with some practice I should be able to get close to the house, trees and barn and may not need the riding mower in the end.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmiller View Post
I got to mow the yard this weekend and actually spend some time on the tractor. It definitely has an issue with it popping out of 1st and reverse, but if I hold the lever in position it stays, but that is not practical. I mowed the yard in 2nd gear and learned to feather the clutch a little up the hill to keep the engine from bogging down. I did see some oil on the mower deck when I was done and it looked like engine oil, so when I take her down the road to get the clutch issue dealt with that will get added to the list and I should probably have the service guys change all of the fluids while they have her, this way next year she will be ready for anything and I have a little comfort that everything was done properly. She felt much different than my Craftsman mower as I did not feel like I was sliding out of the seat on the slopes and with some practice I should be able to get close to the house, trees and barn and may not need the riding mower in the end.

Sounds like a good idea. The tranny popping out of 1st and reverse is a problem with the tranny, not the clutch. Don't want a mechanic to throw a clutch in it and still have the same problem when done.

Randy
1 73
1 2182
Old 10-28-2016, 01:39 PM

I am planning on taking my tractor down the road to the local garage tomorrow to get the "shift fork" issue dealt with. I am also going to have them change the engine oil and any other "oil change" that should be done since I have no previous maintenance information on the tractor. I did notice an oil leak when I mowed the grass 2 weeks ago, so that needs to get looked at as well. Cant be messing up the new paint job I am going to give the mower deck...anything else I should have them do while they have it?
Old 11-03-2016, 08:49 PM

I talked to the mechanics working on my tractor today. Made the right decision taking it to a professional. The found the broken shift fork..problem is the po tried to weld it to fix it. He also welded someone on the shaft, which is broken. They also said the clutch break was broken and fell apart when they removed it. Hamilton Bob was able to hook them up with some of the parts, but the shaft is not available...but they think they can fix it...
Old 11-04-2016, 10:39 AM
Banned

What shaft is broken? The shifter shaft? They are available in aftermarket, or you can find them used all over ebay. One is still available new OEM!
Old 11-04-2016, 04:33 PM

Not sure...either way sounds like something that I could not fix on my own and since I am only at my farm every other weekend, it would take me all winter. Kind of surprised since the tractor ran well and operated normally when I held the shift lever in the 1st or reverse position and when in 2nd gear I mowed for an hour with little issue..the unit bogged down and stalled a few times until I started feathering the clutch pedal. I did notice when in 1st gear, depressing the clutch pedal did not stop the tractor from moving forward. I had to step on the brake pedal to actually stop it from moving forward...hopefully I can pick it up next weekend..
Old 11-04-2016, 09:26 PM

I have 3 of those trannys now so I might have parts if they cant fix/find what they need.
CCC 12.5 w/deck
Plus 35 or so non IH tractors
Old 11-29-2016, 09:50 PM

I stopped in at the garage on Saturday. The repair to the tranny is complete including removal of some broken off gear teeth. None of the gears are missing teeth, so the damaged gear must have been replaced. The shaft that the shift fork is on was broken and that was what the previous owner had welded. The mechanic had a new shaft made (it is a small shaft about 3 inches long and 5/16" diameter. The mechanic told me that someone must have tried to shift the gears while moving quickly and broke the teeth and the shaft. He was waiting for a new rear main seal to fix the engine oil leak and then he will be done.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:05 PM
Banned

Pretty sure the shift rails are longer than 3".
Hope it didn't cost much. MWSC sells new shift rails in pairs for $26. Plus finding a used one is about as simple as 1 phone call.

This place is slow. Been in there a month....
Old 11-30-2016, 09:47 PM

The broken piece he showed me fit in the palm of his hand..the installed piece in the transmission was much longer..the garage I used may not be aware of the best places to get parts...but they did call Hamilton Bob for something and also knew about Steiners...I will find out in a week or so how much it all cost...still gonna probably only be a drop in the hat compared to what I had to do to the last boat I bought..a new transom was about 8 grand...cant possibly be anything like that...I hope...