Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Resources > Restoration Tips

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Default Electrical

Hi All!

I have noticed on my two tractors that the electrical connectors tend to go bad. Connectors are the weak link in any electrical system. I have also noticed that a lot of folks who are talking about restoring/repairing their cubs have mentioned they intend to do an electrical overhaul.

I have recently read a debate on whether crimp connection or soldered connections are better. I have always been of the opinion that soldered connections are more reliable. But what I was reading talked about the fact that overheated connections can sometimes melt solder. This was an extreme example used in building electric cars where large numbers of batteries and power are being transferred.

All that said I would like to open a discussion for anyone who has ideas on how to improve their electrical system.

On battery leads I have been trying to make my own using close ended lugs. I solder them on and then cover the lug to wire connection with heat shrink tubing. I have not really tested this in the field for long but it seams to be the best way to keep out moisture and corrosion.

I am a fan of heat shrink tubing as it should do a great job of keeping the connection as strong and clean as possible. It isn't cheap, but I found a mixed bag of the stuff for a few bucks at Napa. I am sure it can be found other places. I have also seen the heat shrink crimp connectors, but those were fantastically expensive.

Trying to find the right gauge and insulator colors is probably a problem. Anyone have a good source for a great selection of wire?

I would like to hear your stories of wiring repairs!

Thanks.

Bob
Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Bob:

Electrical crimp connectors sometimes get a bad rap. There is a Dfference in crimp connectors and it pays to buy the good ones. Not all crimp connectors are created equal.

Next, comes the crimping tool. There are good types and poor types. Here again, it pays to buy a good crimp tool.

Now, if you have good crimp connectors, a good crimp tool, proper wire and a good crimp technique, then there is NO problem. As long as one lives within the amperage range of the wire and connectors.

Lastly, the circuits should be protected by a fuse as determined by the load and wiring handling capabilities.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 05-01-2009, 01:10 PM

I have a bunch of crimp tools, all crap. I have a wire stripper which is fantastic. I also have a side cutter from Klein Tools which is AMAZING. Compared to my SnapOn side cutter it works much smoother and actually cuts. Yesterday I was trying to cut a fine wire with my SnapOn sidecutter and all it did wash mash the wires flat. I threw it back in my toolbox and grabbed the Klein cutter and it easily cut the wires very cleanly and neat.

R. Bedell, what crimp tool brand do you recommend and what connectors do you buy and where do you get them?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:45 PM

I usually crimp AND solder my terminals. I strip the wire, tin the end, crimp the connector onto it, and the solder it on. I also put heat shrink tubing over the finished connector. Looks good and should keep corrosion away. You can get heat shrink tubing cheap (and a lot of other electrical supplies) at car parts swap meets.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:37 PM

Hey Matt, that sounds good too. I just did that with one of my wires, basically just reused the old crimp fitting that was there and soldered it on and used the shrink tube. I think the shrink tube adds a lot of strength right at the connector, relatively speaking.

What do you use to solder your connections? Soldering iron, gun, propane torch???
Old 05-01-2009, 06:33 PM

I use my dad's soldering gun. Those tiny little soldering irons are only good for hobby electronics in my opinion, as they don't put enough heat into the connection.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:06 PM

I use a minimum of a 40 watt weller for soldering wires. A radio shack 40 wattt is not the same. I also have a hobbico 60watt that works well and you can find those at hobby shops for under 10 bucks. I have raced rc cars for a long time and once you get the hang of soldering it a breeze!

Randy
1 73
1 2182
Old 05-01-2009, 08:22 PM

I Solder all the connections i repair and used close loop connectors on the batery cabels i made.I like Matts method though,Im a fan of overdoing it! and crimping and soldering should be great.I dip the wire into flux and use a propane torch,not reccomended for small wires!!I used the torch on the the battery cabels with closed end copper connectors,I used a realy fine stranded #4 wire,overkill i know,from a power inverter.It worked great only slightly curling the very edge of the outter caseing on the first try.I also love the heat shrink wrap but didnt have any at the time but did have some scotch electrical tape,its realy expensive,but its flexible and stays flexible,and stays put!!

Id like also to find a realy good sourse of wire and terminals.
Bob,Look for a klein crimper,they are REALY good also as your side cutters,a bit expensive but worth every penny,when you look at them you will see the difference!!
Jason
Old 05-04-2009, 05:46 AM

Thanks everyone. This is all great information. Thanks for the link to Klein tools and the crimper. I will have to pick one up!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:36 PM

My FIL gave me one of these for my birthday a couple of years ago.

When building my CCO's harness I crimped, soldered and covered with heat shrink tubing. The only thing I wish I had done different was used better connectors.