Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kubota Engines

Notices

Old 03-09-2017, 10:37 AM

Default Kubota diesel operational issues

I need to ask for some advise. I am looking at a diesel cub that has low compression on two holes, how low, the PO just say they are low. The machine is one owner with 800 hours. It always service properly, ran good two years ago. It always ran with air cleaner intact. Now will only start with starting fluid, then dies, with lots of blue smoke. I know this is not a lot of info. Sort of wondering if the laws of averages say lower end or top end problem wise? I am thinking possible a couple issues together- fuel delivery and timing/valve/ head gasket or just wore out - rings? Engine has never been apart. I thought hours too low for worn out.
Any thoughts ??

Thanks in advance -

Pete
Old 03-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Grand Member

Hard to start, and only with ether, I would begin by checking to make sure that all the glow plugs are working. These little Kubotas will skip and smoke for quite a while until they build enough temperature to light off all the cylinders if one or two are not firing. If you can get it running, check to see if there is a lot of blow-by coming out the oil fill tube with the cap removed. This would be a good indicator of worn rings or damaged piston. It is possible that the problem lies in the fuel system. A bad injector not delivering fuel to the cylinder correctly can cause smoke and a loss of power. The smoke from unburned fuel is usually more white colored. Also make certain that the air inlet system is not plugged. A mouse nest in the air cleaner will restrict the air enough to cause issues. Given that the engine is miss-firing on two cylinders, I would suspect injector problems or a head gasket failure as the most likely problem. You are correct that on a well maintained engine 800 hours is not an issue if the meter is accurate.
149, 2072, Original, 1772, 1782, #1 cart, Parker 48" sweeper,
Old 03-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Banned

I mostly agree with Diesel Doctor, although, it has been my experience that once those Kubota diesels get to the point that they don't run, or appear to have low compression on a hole, they are pretty much done. I agree it is likely a fuel issue or a blown head gasket, but if ran that way any it will wear the cylinders bad. I've overhauled a few of these Kubotas and several of their Yanmar counterparts. Seems that the when there is an issue, owners don't actually acknowledge the problem until it finally fails to run. Most every one I overhauled was overheated, then ran until it was junk.

Buy at your choosing, but don't pay much ($500 max is my suggestion) and even then plan to drop a min of $700 into the motor. Injectors aren't terribly expensive, but the pump is. $700 won't cover it if it needs both. All the parts for the Kubotas expensive in comparison to other gas engines. If you don't have engine mechanical abilities, or money to pay a diesel mechanic, dealer... whatever to work on it, then don't buy it. There were about 3 guys on here a few months ago who bought non-running diesels. They made threads, tore them down, found out the cost to fix and we haven't heard from them since. Likely because they didn't realize the money it would take. There are some places that sell used takeouts, or new old stock engines. Memeber Oak made a recent post about a company in Georgia that sells them. Their price is far less than what you would have in an overhaul.

Just want you to make an informed decision.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:49 PM

Shaner, a member on this site has a D600 for sale for a good price. He is in NY.

I bought a non running diesel for 400$, I put about $1000 into it and it is an excellent machine now. Only thing I regret about my diesel was selling it, then having to buy it back, minus some attachments.

I put injectors, glow plugs with relay that got it running. BUT then fuel line, all Newark and fuel filters, tank screen, new battery cables, gear reduction starter, thermostat, waterpump belt, in sure I forgot a few things too.
THEN above and beyond engine stuff all new drive shaft, and steering gear.

Pick It up and enjoy the challenge.
John deere 855
Old 03-10-2017, 09:13 AM

thanks guys for your input- sort of confirmed my initial thoughts. This one is too far away with too many questions to make it attractive to buy.
everyone have a great week end!
pete

LOOKING AT A 882 - LOOKING FOR VALUE INFO - ANY MODEL TRAITS TO BE AWARE OF? YOU DON'T HEAR MUCH ABOUT THIS MODEL- ANY THOUGHTS??