Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Customized Cub Cadets

Notices

Old 11-24-2015, 05:31 AM
Grand Member

Well that certainly sucks! I was always told they were modeled after 88 series. Never really put much thought into the production years of each. Damn! DO NOT tell the wife, I will never hear the end of "you were wrong" ..... I really do not want to listen to that! Lol

Nope on the convex. Just flat glass in vertical front did a little bit last night, trying to figure out the slant on the back and just how much room is needed in the cab for me! Thanks for interest in project guys, giving some more confidence in it too. Have seen that grill you are talking about, wish I could see the whole tractor completed. It's actually one of the pics in my screen saver at work
IH built 982, IH built 782, IH built 782 parts tractor, 100 w/fenders & lights, #4 trailer, 42" front blade, IH 2B tiller, 12" Brinly plow, Brinly cultivator, IH push mower, Sims cab, IH snowthrower, 450 blower.

Now everyone wants a Cub!

Beware of the Wife
Old 12-14-2015, 07:46 AM
Grand Member

This is the stage I am at so far. Got the cab bolted on now and just about to the point of making new doors. Was able to get the fenders bolted on yesterday and didn't turn out too bad considering I bent them myself. Far from perfect, but a blind man on a galloping horse will never notice them! Still need to re-weld the floor boards where I cut them to straighten up the cab front. Air was a little blue one day last week when doing a mock set up of the angle of the rear section too - nothing worse than standing on a ladder and watching something happen that you just can't control!!! Yep, I am minus a back window now!

Still need to make a "filler" for the bottom of the cab corners at the back to make it mate up with the fenders for cosmetic reasons. What you think of the tails on the fenders - how would you finish them (shape, angle, etc)??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0987bb.jpg (33.2 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0983bb.jpg (24.3 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0962bb.jpg (26.2 KB, 363 views)
IH built 982, IH built 782, IH built 782 parts tractor, 100 w/fenders & lights, #4 trailer, 42" front blade, IH 2B tiller, 12" Brinly plow, Brinly cultivator, IH push mower, Sims cab, IH snowthrower, 450 blower.

Beware of the Wife
Old 12-14-2015, 07:54 AM
Grand Member

Had a plate bent so I could attache the back of the cab to the fender pan behind the battery hole. Seems to be pretty solid.

Have more pictures....need to re-size them before I can post them. Let me know what you think of cab, pros & cons. First time I have "fabricated/modified" one of these!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0959bb.jpg (27.2 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0969bb.jpg (26.8 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0970.jpg (26.9 KB, 363 views)

Beware of the Wife
Old 12-14-2015, 08:07 AM
Grand Member

Need to change some bolts yet to shorter ones to make them all look the same. Figure I will get some Lexan to make the windows out of - likely safer for future use so I don't have to deal with broken glass. Hopefully I can get it thick enough to fit into the window trim I already have. Not sure how soon I will need to use the tractor since we still have green grass here. But at least it will hopefully be ready when I do need it! Have a used 20hp Mag bought for it to replace the Onan. Hopefully I made the right choice!??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0975bb.jpg (26.4 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0977bb.jpg (21.2 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0982bb.jpg (21.4 KB, 361 views)

Beware of the Wife
Old 12-14-2015, 09:52 AM

How will the hood and fuel tank be modified so you can get to the engine and put gas in it?

Jim

782 w/Command 18,
1862 not running;
IH 42 inch blade; off brand cart
Old 12-14-2015, 10:41 AM
Grand Member

The front window pivots from the bottom forward to allow the hood to flip up. There is two screw type bolts that hold it closed at the bottom. Just need to put them in yet.

Beware of the Wife
Old 12-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Grand Member

The cab is looking good, Mike.

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 12-14-2015, 07:02 PM
Grand Member

Thanks Allen, I have done a lot of head scratching on this cab - hope its worth it in the end!

What shape do you guys suggest I make the fenders at the back end? Just round the corner off slightly and leave it straight? That's what they are like on the 3688. They are fairly squared corners at the back with rear work lights mounted on them. That was originally a round light from the factory from what I seen - but most have been changed to square or oval that I have seen so far. I was thinking of putting two lights at the top of the cab in the front and then the same on the back. Only because the door - depending on how I design it will get in the way when the lights are there on the fenders. I'd like to have lights at the bottom of the cab at the front to match the 3688's but I think that might be over kill too??

Anyone who has a hard shell cab - do you find the doors to be "too large"? should they be down sized and still allow enough room to get in and out of the cab??

Thoughts, suggestions???

Beware of the Wife
Old 01-03-2016, 06:08 PM
Grand Member

So it has been a while since I have been able to do some work on this cab. Been using the walk behind blower for the first two snow storms of the year. Got the engine out of the 982 about a week ago and all ready to go to dealer to have it re-powered with a Mag. Had enough with the Onan, don't want to put anymore money into it.

So I started at making the template for the door today from 1/4 inch plywood to make sure it will work out. Then I will send it to a buddy to have his supplier cut me out two doors on the plasma cutter. If all goes well, the window trim from the old doors will work in the new ones. Have to talk to the glass guys to see if they can cut my old glass to work in the new doors or not? Don't know if they can cut glass that's about what, 15 years old or so? Will have to see what is cheaper, new, re-use or just put Lexan in them?

What you think of the style of the cab so far, think it will look good painted up like a 3688? Hope to change the grill someday in the future to look like the 88 series grills too. We all have to dream!
iphone transfer 1384bb.jpg

iphone transfer 1396bb.jpg

iphone transfer 1391bb.jpg

iphone transfer 1382bb.jpg

iphone transfer 1390bb.jpg

The door is bowed out at the back/top corner just because it is flimsy plywood. Just have to cut out the hole and mount the door handle/latch assembly now and then flip it and make sure it works on the other side too.

Beware of the Wife
Old 01-03-2016, 08:20 PM
Grand Member

Very nice.