Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 11-07-2009, 08:08 PM

Default Silt fence with a Cub

I have a couple of questions for you plowers out there. I have a full time job Mon-Fri, but on the side I do erosion control. Mostly silt fence, but do some seeding and mulching as well. I put up 2400 hundred ft of silt fence today. I have a small ride on trencher that I use for this, which brings me to the questions. As I was trenching today I was thing about if a 10 inch plow would it do the same thing? All you have to have is a 6 to 8 inch trench to put the fence in and then back fill the trench. I'm' a newbie when it come to the Cubs but in the short time I've had it, it seems very capable of this task HP wise. My thought was to take my 149 with a plow and a front blade to make this happen. Make one pass with the plow then install the fence in the furrow and then back fill with the front blade. I'm for sure going to pick up a plow and a tiller because we do the garden thing yearly so it wouldn't be a waste and could always use the blade as well. I have yet to plow with a Cub so this maybe a completely laughable. I also know this completely depends on the kind of soil your in so I have no intention of selling my trencher next week. But today I was in good easy plowable soil. So how deep does the plow plow and can you put hydro cylinders on the front blade? With that I'm leaving it with you, let me know what ya think. Oh and forgive the typos pretty tired tonight after I trenched the 2400 ft I drove about 250 4 ft T posts .

P.S is plowable a real word....
Old 11-08-2009, 07:36 AM

No thoughts?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Transformer:

Be patient. I am sure you will someone with responses to your unique situation.

I have NO experience in your question area, but it sounds like your thoughts are doable.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 11-08-2009, 07:51 AM

I have just a few thoughts. The plow will go 6-8 inches deep if you set it to do so. However, when you plow it will just turn the soil over leaving a trench and clumpy soil. When you go to backfill, it isn't loose durt necessarily that you'll be filling back in with. It will be very clumpy with large clots of sod. Might make backfilling a bit harder. I really haven't seen a trencher work, but I'm assuming that the dirt you are backfilling with has been pulverized and is pretty loose? The second problem which you already thought of would be to have independent control of both the dirt blade and moldboard plow. That said, I'm sure you could do it. Jason
Old 11-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Grand Member

The first pass with a moldboard usually isn't very deep. You will lucky to go 4 inches deep in my area. The majory problem you will have is traction...or the lack of traction. Sod is the hardest ground to get any traction on. I would keep using the trencher if it was me.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Grand Member

Question

Beat me for going WAY out on a limb here....

Average silt fence is what 16" to 24" tall?? What if you were to make up a rig to run off your 3pth to burry the bottom of the silt fence? Run the plow down the area you want to trench and install the fence as you had mentioned. Then if you were to make up a rig to run off the 3pth or something even attached to the front of the tractor, but you would need to be able to lift it somehow. Using a potatoe hiller or something along that line that you could creat a high arched frame and have it off set from the front of the tractor. Like an A frame or U shaped frame. Then have a shank with a hiller point attached to it and run it down each side of the fence. Have it hill up the ground to the bottom of the silt fence. That way it wouldn't matter if the ground was chunky or not, just throw the soil back onto the bottom of the silt fence on either side.

Really not sure...?? Just a thought, not saying its a good one?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the replys guys.Plowing depth is the info I needed and the other input as well. This was something I was just mulling around.I think it is doable but more trouble than it worth. The dirt is torn up good trenching but it throws dirt to both sides of the trench so twice the work backfilling.I am use to clump sod being turned over and it is troublesome for sure.I thought about it again today and was thinking modding a plow up that would not turn the sod over completely just heave the ground up and leave a gap 2 to 4 inches wide 6 inches deep more like ripping than plowing.Then I could slip my fabric in the gap and put stakes behind tie it off and be done. Oh and then take the tractor and drive down the rip and pench it shut.Does that make sense? but I dont know if thats doable either.They make a plow just for this for bigger tractors that plows the fabric in the ground about 6 inches deep.The plow has a carrier on it to put big roles of fabric on it. You plow it in and put stakes up behind then tie it off. I need to get a look at one of those up close. Thanks again for the info..
Old 11-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Grand Member

I was wondering about such things earlier today, so I looked it up and found these, being in that business I'm guessin that you've already seen them though...

http://www.siltfenceplow.com/

It really would be cool if you could buy/build something that would do the work so you could use your 149 on the job.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Grand Member

Those plows are pretty cool! Bet they have one heck of a price on them!