Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 11:20 AM

Default Plow or culitivator resto

Which one should I do? I would like to make it almost show worthy.
Questions I would like answered. Should I use new hardware, what kinds of tools would I need, what parts commonly need to be replaced, which implement would be easier?
just for reference, here are the pics.

If you would like some of certain areas, or different angles, please let me know!
Old 03-22-2009, 02:13 PM

OK YE, I feel bad no one has replied. I don't know anything about restoring either of these things, nor do I have a clue as to what show worthy would require. But here is my $.02. Take on one or the other, I suggest the plow as it looks like less parts. I wouldn't worry about new hardware if you can get the old to work. You may need to chase some threads so it goes back together smoothly. But if you are going to make it "show" you will cover everything with paint so who cares if it is new or old, no one will see. I bet they would both work as is with maybe a little bit of penetrating fluid shot here and there. I would personally be more interested in using them and how they work than in showing them.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:36 PM

I would restore the plow, reason being, there's fewer parts. I have done a couple. You'll want to take everything completely apart, so you'll need whatever tools are required for that. The next step depends on how pretty the finished product needs to be. When I did mine, I wire-wheeled all of the rust and loose paint off. I can live with the slightly orange-peely look to the paint because my plow will be used. You can sandblast, use beet juice, electrolytic derusting, vinegar boiling (don't do this to cast iron or anything containing lead, brass, or bronze) or many other methods to remove the paint and rust. Prep work is the most important thing. If you don't take the time preparing the parts before they are painted, they are going to look like crap. BTDT, stripped and repainted the parts... Then, wipe everything down with mineral spirits or similar solvent, and then a tack cloth right before priming. Shoot your primer (I prefer a paint gun) and final coat. I don't like spray cans because they seem to clog easily, and a spray gun allows you to get more paint on the part, as well as a nicer finish.

When I did my plow, I replaced the hardware, because it was cheaper than re-plating the bolts. I think my entire plow required less than $10 of new hardware...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plow_3.JPG (84.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 03-22-2009, 09:11 PM

Matt, you do nice work!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:15 PM
murphycc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G. View Post
I would restore the plow, reason being, there's fewer parts. I have done a couple. You'll want to take everything completely apart, so you'll need whatever tools are required for that. The next step depends on how pretty the finished product needs to be. When I did mine, I wire-wheeled all of the rust and loose paint off. I can live with the slightly orange-peely look to the paint because my plow will be used. You can sandblast, use beet juice, electrolytic derusting, vinegar boiling (don't do this to cast iron or anything containing lead, brass, or bronze) or many other methods to remove the paint and rust. Prep work is the most important thing. If you don't take the time preparing the parts before they are painted, they are going to look like crap. BTDT, stripped and repainted the parts... Then, wipe everything down with mineral spirits or similar solvent, and then a tack cloth right before priming. Shoot your primer (I prefer a paint gun) and final coat. I don't like spray cans because they seem to clog easily, and a spray gun allows you to get more paint on the part, as well as a nicer finish.

When I did my plow, I replaced the hardware, because it was cheaper than re-plating the bolts. I think my entire plow required less than $10 of new hardware...

Matt

Looks great! Where'd you get the U shaped bolts? I have the same plow and I'd like to replace mine as well.

Scott
Old 03-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Grand Member

Great work Matt!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:15 AM

Great work Matt !! Almost a shame to get that one dirty.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:38 AM

Hm... a spray gun. I would have to get one, as everything I've painted so far was out of a can. I agree they clog easily. THat plow is a work of art. I don't thing mine will look that good. I shall still try my best.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:45 PM

Scott-

I was lucky that those bolts weren't very rusty...I just wire-wheeled the rust and corroded plating off. I should have painted them with something, but this thing's just gonna get used anyway. Thanks for all the compliments, guys. I know it looks good in the pictures, but it's definitely not perfect. My painting is slowly getting better.