Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Resources > Restoration Tips

Notices

Old 04-15-2014, 04:52 PM

Default Powder Coat IH 782D White and Red

I have found a lot of threads about powder coating but haven't been able to find my answer. I am looking for a place that will powder coat using the IH white color or at least very close to it. I want to have my rims done. I had them done once before but it must not have been a good job because many places started to just flake off.

Also, if any of you have done the red in powder coat I would be interested in hearing about your expirience as well. That would be awesome to have done. Again, if you know of a place for that, please let me know.

Now i am looking for a good place. Any suggestions would be VERY helpful.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Banned

This may not be the suggestion that you want to hear..... but I'd stick with paint. Powder coating will eventually flake off. Get online and look at the older cyclops tractors. They were powder coated from the factory, and they are all peeling. Then look at the older cubs. They were painted, not even with very good paint I might add, and most of them are still in pretty good shape at 40 years old. It's your tractor and your money, but I think it will look better and last longer with some good urethane paint. You could also clear coat it for UV protection against fade, and to give it a nice shine. Just my
Old 04-15-2014, 09:09 PM

Thanks. I actually restored the tractor a few years ago and used base coat/ clear coat paint. It turned out great! I am fine with tusing paint for the red parts, but for the rims, the powder coating is noice because it is SUPPOSED to be more durable. The white color is what I am more interested in.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 AM

I have experience with powder coating a few tractors if it's done the right way it will out last paint by far and is way more durable again it's all in the powder coated if they have experience and the right equipment it will come out way better than any paint job this is the fifth tractor I have done with powder coat and will never go back to conventional paint,, oh by the way he sand blasted powder coat and clear coat for $275 dollars ,, a good paint and material would cost more and not last as long.. Remember the factory powder coat is junk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.5 KB, 205 views)
Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 AM

Another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.7 KB, 204 views)
Old 04-16-2014, 07:19 AM

I have painted tractors excavators dozers for 30 years I like to do garden tractors for a hobby try and find a place that does metal frabrication not a body shop!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.6 KB, 205 views)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 PM

ndorn,

Im in the process of color matching powder from prismatic powders. If you can get me a sample (maybe a painted piece of tin that can be mailed, I will get the prismatic powder code number that matches and post it. In fact, send both the white and red samples if you have them (otherwise I was going to buy a can of spray paint just for the purpose.

I do believe powder can be quite durable if prepped properly. After sandblasting it should be coated with iron phosphate or zinc phosphate. Then an epoxy based high zinc content powder/primer. The solid color (built to a good film thickness). They use this for marine applications, it should be durable. The prep steps are critical though and shortcuts on these will not bode well. Powder sprayed directly over sandblasting is considered 'decorative', not protective.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeter View Post
I do believe powder can be quite durable if prepped properly. After sandblasting it should be coated with iron phosphate or zinc phosphate. Then an epoxy based high zinc content powder/primer. The solid color (built to a good film thickness). They use this for marine applications, it should be durable. The prep steps are critical though and shortcuts on these will not bode well. Powder sprayed directly over sandblasting is considered 'decorative', not protective.
And all this is cheaper than painting.......

I'm not convinced. I've never seen a powder coated anything that would last even 10 years. Do you have pics of anything that is been coated that long that was used like a mower would be? I.E. a mower deck or truck bumper....
Old 04-17-2014, 07:49 AM

Im not sure powder coat, for the DIY'r in particular, will be cheaper than painting. If sourcing it,then like anything it depends on the supplier (just understand the steps your particular supplier follows and be comfortable this iswhat you want). For sure if doing yourself its different than painting so some research and education will be needed, and its a little 'newer' industry (in part driven by the desire to reduce VOC's), so some conflicting information out there.

Some of the paints are quite durable and known. Imron is recommended as having high corrosion protection.

And I havent personally done a side by side between a known powder coating application and a paint application exposed to the same environment. I do believe people have done this though. And in particular if putting it in a marine environment they just couldnt live with poor corrosion resistance - so to me this suggests it can be done.

At the same time yes, there are a lot of examples out there where it 'failed' but that is true for paint as well, and in both cases is most often traced back to poor prep/undercoating. Even for paint a high zinc primer is recommended (often epoxy based to allow conduction between the zinc particles and the substrate). Similar primers are available in powder form, so thats a wash. And the phosphate conversion is to mitigate flash rust, again common to both solutions.

So it comes down to laying a polymer film via dry powder which is then melted, or spraying on with a solvent which then evaporates. (although film thickness, flexibility, coverage/porosity, impact hardness, etc all play a role). Perhaps two different means to the same end. I have even read instances where a user has powder coated base and then sprayed clear hardcoat over the top - a hybrid approach.

Not an expert. Just reading about the options and trying to learn.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:45 PM

my tractor was powder coated and clear coat on top I can get some close up pics of it dirty from plowing and show you after I just hose it off with just water no soap ,, I have had great luck with powder coating however the guy I use is very experienced if you have something done you might want to check a few different places,, and yes for me it's cheaper than paint!! It cost me $275 to have all my body parts powder coated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.1 KB, 163 views)