Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > Testing Area

Notices

Old 01-17-2021, 02:07 AM

Default Test

Test pic upload off of computer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2717.jpg (41.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 01-17-2021, 07:45 AM
Grand Member

As I posted last week, go fast, turn left, go REALLY fast, turn right, and add a wing,
As Stewart, Kinser and Swindell would attest
Old 01-18-2021, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
As I posted last week, go fast, turn left, go REALLY fast, turn right, and add a wing,
As Stewart, Kinser and Swindell would attest
Yeah Buddy, Been going to the PA dirt races since I was 5 (Reading Fair Grounds), I'm 57 now. Probably safe to say I've eaten my fair share of clay over the years, and depending on who you ask, ate a good amount of paint chips too . Funny thing about your reference about turning right while going left. I knew instantly when I read your post what you were talking about. That pic is at the end of the straight at the formerly called Susquehanna Raceway Park, now called BAPS or something close. Not sure how I'm not in that pic as that was my usual standing spot. The race car hauler and truck was right behind that turn for the 410 guys. The young man behind the wheel of that 410 is Alex and that was his very first time in a 410. He drove a P.A.S.S. (305) sprint car about a year before this endeavor. It was the year end sprint bonanza (forget real name of the event) mid Oct, 2015 IIRC, and paid 10 grand to win. So that pic is of him in time trials (he never lifted, I would have heard) with about 5-6 laps under his belt from hot laps, minutes earlier . He made it in the feature through the consi and started 23rd IIRC He really got the hang of it quick and was really flying the last 12-15 laps and finished 9th. it was pretty cool when he got out of the car after the feature and everybody just started applauding on the fine first time in a 410 and really just pretty darn good driving. Many drivers came up and congratulated him while we were loading everything up and pounding a few cold ones. It was a great night.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:50 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan S View Post
Yeah Buddy, Been going to the PA dirt races since I was 5 (Reading Fair Grounds), I'm 57 now. Probably safe to say I've eaten my fair share of clay over the years, and depending on who you ask, ate a good amount of paint chips too . Funny thing about your reference about turning right while going left. I knew instantly when I read your post what you were talking about. That pic is at the end of the straight at the formerly called Susquehanna Raceway Park, now called BAPS or something close. Not sure how I'm not in that pic as that was my usual standing spot. The race car hauler and truck was right behind that turn for the 410 guys. The young man behind the wheel of that 410 is Alex and that was his very first time in a 410. He drove a P.A.S.S. (305) sprint car about a year before this endeavor. It was the year end sprint bonanza (forget real name of the event) mid Oct, 2015 IIRC, and paid 10 grand to win. So that pic is of him in time trials (he never lifted, I would have heard) with about 5-6 laps under his belt from hot laps, minutes earlier . He made it in the feature through the consi and started 23rd IIRC He really got the hang of it quick and was really flying the last 12-15 laps and finished 9th. it was pretty cool when he got out of the car after the feature and everybody just started applauding on the fine first time in a 410 and really just pretty darn good driving. Many drivers came up and congratulated him while we were loading everything up and pounding a few cold ones. It was a great night.
Something to be said for a man that has no fear and drives on adrenaline.
To hear the noise, smell the fuel, and eat the dirt, is something that has to be experienced, as an explanation cannot describe it adequately.
-------Like a lot of thing's in life.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
Something to be said for a man that has no fear and drives on adrenaline.
To hear the noise, smell the fuel, and eat the dirt, is something that has to be experienced, as an explanation cannot describe it adequately.
-------Like a lot of thing's in life.
Very well said George. After posting back to you I thought about what I had left out about what Alex had done that night on his first 410 drive. And the word fearless came to my mind, but you covered that for me, Yep the kid had big ones! Most people would look at that pic and think he was in the turn, but unless you ever watched one of those 1000 HP winged missiles... That pic of him completely sideways is almost at the very end of the straight, my best and honest guess is that he is going about 130 when that pic was taken (people I kid you not) the turn is about 10-12 feet away and you just go in there wide open and don't lift, turn the wheel as fast left as you can and back to right even faster and hope it all goes as planned. As you know, you are carrying so much speed and momentum that you have to start to turn while still going straight, I know as crazy as that sounds, but you would never make it if you didn't turn while still going straight...
I had asked Al one night when we were at Lincoln Speedway if he ever thought about stuff you know when you go out on the track. He looked me dead in the eye and said" Bryan I just hope you guys got all the bolts tight" Not only was he fearless, he also had faith.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:20 AM
Grand Member

Humans at younger ages have not only less fear, but are quicker to act and react, that is why children learn so fast, and pick up what we say and do.
Also there is the anticipation factor that people have.
Some, like me, can't play checkers or cards because I can't do that.
Others have a natural instinct as clear as black and white.
Like an artist, or musician, you can't learn that shit, you are born with it.
But I like others, have been born with the ability to understand mechanical things.
So we all are different, with strong points and lesser abilities.

"A man has to know his limitations" as Eastwood once so eloquently put it.
I've watched motorsports competitors and as well as others over the years, some just have that "knack".
Sadly if is fleeting, as any aged "athlete" can attest.

But back to the point, to watch a "driver" never lift in a straight or corner and see the Right rear wheel just billowing smoke, and pleading for traction.
Then he blips the loud peddle, for a quick bite and darts low or high in a slide job on the competitor.

All the while, the hairs on my arms are standing up, producing goose bumps like the the first time I enjoyed a woman's intimacies, so many many decades ago.
And if I have to explain that, people would not understand.
We all are very different, yet so much alike.
Thank God for this great country and the world we live in.

I think this should be in "general talk/ off topic"
But that decision is above my pay grade.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:27 AM

I well remember the sounds bouncing off and over the mountains around Reading Fair grounds. Attended many races and other auto related shows. Then the track and stands were gone in the commercial building frenzy of the '70s. Now the shopping mall built on the fairgrounds is being torn down due to financial failure. The local municipality is looking for tax revenue. But, I live within a couple miles of Maple Grove (dragstrip). I hear engine music every weekend.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:19 AM
Grand Member

I grew up 7 or so miles from Detroit Dragway.
On a quiet Saturday night if the wind was right, one could hear the really loud ones.
Especially Art Arfons with his jet powered Green Monster.
I was there for the '59 nationals with my dad.
Also made some runs there in '61-62 while in Hi Skool,
Still have 2 trophy's
Many a Saturday night after working all day pumping Sunoco,
I went to the track, and snuck under the east fence mid track, and watched the last of the action.
It was the "right of passage" for a pimple faced kid in "Hi Skool" watching Detroit's finest do battle.
Sadly, 37 years later in '96 The area didn't want the "noisy" track anymore and it was closed, 2 years later it was demolished and a large warehouse was constructed.
Not a plaque or sign exists, attesting to the "Coliseum" where Detroit's best competed.
The entrance driveway is all that remains.
But to us that were there, the location is known like it was "home"
Old 01-19-2021, 11:58 AM

George, you are giving away your age. LOL I used to visit Milan once in a while.

1979 IH Cub Cadet 782 w/CH20, dual hydraulics, power steering and Cat 0 three point
Old 01-19-2021, 01:17 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLause View Post
George, you are giving away your age. LOL I used to visit Milan once in a while.
Milan Dragway didn't open till '63 and was mostly known then for their "sand drags" in the early days.
They also had a mo'sickill dirt track.
Go fast, slid sideways, with no front brakes "hot shoe-ing"
I spent a lot of time "puddling" hard surface rod on a friends "shoe" for a few years, that would of been in the early 70's.
Milan gained in popularity mostly because,
the Dig "D" ---- also called the Dirty "D, as
the water was very Sulphur laden and the Restrooms smelled terrible even before they were used, much less at the end of the day.
You held your "need" way past necessary, then dashed in and tried not to breath till you got back outside.
The ladies mostly refused to "go there" Ha,LOL!

We need an "Old Farts" category here on OCC.
So them 'youngins kin larn how it was "back in the day" before we is all plum gone, with nobody to tell the stories