Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Welcome to OCC > Welcome to OnlyCubCadets

Notices

Old 08-30-2018, 11:29 PM

Default Not new to OCC, but new project

I've been lurking around for a while, but never got serious about my 149 - until now. I would like to start my restoration project soon.
It ran when I got it, but seems to eat voltage regulators. It broke down about 4 1/2 years ago and I just parked it to work on a couple other big projects. It's now time to think about a full restoration. Any newbie advice before I tear into it? BTW I am in Colorado Springs, CO.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
seems to eat voltage regulators
You will have to dig out the DVM and do some diagnosing:
* Wrong V/R
* Not mounted correctly
* Not wired right
* Bad wiring and/or harness

Go to the Technical Library for tractors and on Page #5, find WF Wiring Diagrams. Download the one for the 149. Make sure your tractor is wired the same as the diagram.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 08-31-2018, 08:09 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCadet View Post
I Any newbie advice before I tear into it? BTW I am in Colorado Springs, CO.
Get some boxes, coffee cans, even zip lock baggies.
If you have never taken one of these apart or any type of machine for that matter you should get a system going to identify parts and what they were for and where they came from. Be methodical in the disassembly.

Write with a sharpie on each bag. "engine mounts and bolts" "fender hardware" etc etc. Take pictures with your cell phone before disassembling parts your not familiar with.

Have a plan...
Many people start projects like this with one idea of what they want to achieve. Then once your mid way into project your forced to change that plan because of the unexpected pop up issues. Plan to change your plans. Especially with a Cub. You will run into things that you thought were ok and usable just to find you need a new one of these.. or something needs repair.

Most importantly. TAKE YOUR TIME and have fun with it.

Oh wait. thats not the most important thing...

POST PICTURES HERE!!!!

Good luck and have fun.!
Old 08-31-2018, 12:28 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
If you have never taken one of these apart or any type of machine for that matter you should get a system going to identify parts and what they were for and where they came from. Be methodical in the disassembly.

Write with a sharpie on each bag. "engine mounts and bolts" "fender hardware" etc etc. Take pictures with your cell phone before disassembling parts your not familiar with.

Have a plan...
Many people start projects like this with one idea of what they want to achieve. Then once your mid way into project your forced to change that plan because of the unexpected pop up issues. Plan to change your plans. Especially with a Cub. You will run into things that you thought were ok and usable just to find you need a new one of these.. or something needs repair.

POST PICTURES HERE!!!!

Good luck and have fun.!
This is solid advice. I know these tractors very well and even I like to put bolts in bags so I can keep everything in order.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 08-31-2018, 04:28 PM
Grand Member

I will add that i feel when you do one of these full refurbs, everything mechanical as far as issues should be fixed first. Nothing worse than to assume something is ok and then on the first shake down after paint you find a big issue, bad noise, etc. that makes you tear it apart again and muck up your brand new paint. Put it through it’s paces and make sure the mechanicals are 100%, no leaks, starting and charging good, no noises, no smoke, then tear it down to paint.
(2) Original, 100, 102, 124, 73, 800, #1 and #2 cart, brinly plows, disk, IH184, IH244, 1948 F Cub
Old 08-31-2018, 11:27 PM

All good advice, I will try to stay on course with all of it. Thanks for the input. I'll keep ya'll posted.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post

Have a plan...

POST PICTURES HERE!!!!

Good luck and have fun.!
I couldn’t have said it better myself. To elaborate just a bit. I was into Honda 50 mini trails before cubs. Doing my first resto I got to talking to another 50 guy, got on the subject of separating all the little parts. He says “ muffin pans” ..... I’m like ??? He says “if your married, go to the basement or the back of your cabinet. Guaranteed your wife has 6 muffin pans. Put blue tape in the bottom of each compartment and write on it what you put in it.”
It works like a charm. If your wife says anything to you about using her muffin pans, ask her when was the last time she made muffins? And did she make 6 pans worth?