Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 05-17-2021, 05:40 PM

Default Papa's Original

Greetings everyone,

So here is an update. I still want to get Papa's Original (9539) running. Mr, Houtz is the only shop to ever work on it. Last time I was at his shop he told me it needed a short block and it wasn't worth fixing. He has retired (well earned) as have I. So now I have time to work on the machine. I am a retired Paramedic (20 years) and Retired Emergency Management Agency Chief (38 years). I am not a gearhead.

So after calling around I found a new shortblock for the K-161. It had just been installed on a CC-71. I got the entire (running) machine for less then $300.00. I have been using it around the property until I have time to start taking both machines apart and get my CC-O running.

Spark plug flew out of the CC-71 last week, had a coil insert on it. Bought new insert and plug, blue locktight and back together. started right up 24 hours later and ran for 5-10 minutes before the plug and coil insert flew out. More blue locktight, re-assemble, 24 hours wait, ran 5 minutes, flew out again. So, re-assemble with red locktight, wait 24 hours, flew out in 5 minutes.

So I think it is time to do the tear down of both K-161's and get the original running.

Any suggestions for a guy willing to try to do something he knows nothing about?

Thanks from Northern Illinois.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:22 PM
Grand Member

Welcome!

Well, you can get another head for the one with the wallered out spark plug hole without a great deal of money.

Without question, I'd get the manual for the Original and look in the engine section. Kohler was really good at documenting their procedures and you can get a look at what you're up to by reading the manual (found in the reference section of the forum).

By all means, any Original is worth rebuilding. If you do so, it'll likely outlast you and I!

John
147, 122
parts

It's only original ONCE!
Old 05-18-2021, 11:40 AM

These old tractors are great for new gearheads to learn on. Welcome!
Old 05-18-2021, 02:40 PM

Imnaykid,
Welcome to the cub club , what part of the state are you in?
I am in Rockford/Loves Park. It's nice to know where a person can look for help if needed
Steelsmith
Old 05-18-2021, 04:01 PM

Thank you.

Swapping the heads would get the CC-71 running. But the goal is getting the CC-O operating. Mr. Houtz removed the head from the CC-O and found the valves move and the piston does not. He stopped at that point and told me to come and get it, it was not worth repairing. Mr. Helm, the CC dealer in Elgin said the same thing.

I will look at the manuals and see what I should be doing.

I am 40 miles straight west of Chicago, just east of Elburn where Mr. Houtz was located.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:58 PM

Sounds like a broken connecting rod Not uncommon on these engines, and more often than not doesn't condemn the whole engine. Time to take 'er apart (slowly, and with many pictures and ziplock bags/labels/etc.) and see what you find.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:11 PM

Thank you.

So do you think take the CC-O head and put it on CC-71 while taking CC-O apart?

I could try that. Guess all I would need is the gasket.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:24 PM

I don't see why not, since they're both K161s. I would check the good head for flatness and buy a good head gasket (genuine Kohler gaskets are still readily available). Just be sure to retorque the head fasteners to 15-25 ft. lbs. after a heat cycle (lubricate the threads of the head fasteners with oil before torquing). While you're at it, you might as well take the opportunity to clean off any built-up carbon from the underside of the good head with a plastic scraper before you install it on the 71's engine.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:50 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
Sounds like a broken connecting rod Not uncommon on these engines, and more often than not doesn't condemn the whole engine. Time to take 'er apart (slowly, and with many pictures and ziplock bags/labels/etc.) and see what you find.
Agree with Mr Rusty. There's a lot to be learned by taking something apart. (And more yet by putting it back together). Those manuals were very well done.

As long as there's not a hole in the engine with oil dripping out, you stand a good chance of getting that engine rebuilt and back to running.
147, 122
parts

It's only original ONCE!
Old 05-22-2021, 03:24 PM

Again, Thanks.
On the CC-O. The valves do move up and down and the piston does not. Mr. Houtz was right. The fuel tank and head are off.
On the CC-71. The Helicoil did not hold with blue or red locktight. The parts guy just said run it in, well that didn't work. Can the head be re-tapped while on the engine? I don't want to change heads now, I wanted the engine swap to be an after mowing season project