Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 01-21-2021, 01:44 AM

Default 2182 Engine Cleanup Concern

Hi all,

I have a question about the cleaning up of my 2182 engine. Not how to but my concern is for the wiring nightmare that I read so many posts about. I bought my 2182 slightly used in 1997, been a great beast for me all these years. My health is not so good these days so I don't want to cause a major headache for myself. I know I'm going to regret these words but my 2182 has only ever had one issue in all these years and that's the starter click or nothing at all when the key is turned to start it.
Replaced the starter about 12 years ago worked twice then back to click, and now these days not even a click. I have always just grabbed a screw driver I keep in the drain hole of the seat, jump the starter and it fires right up. While I'm still able to, I want to clean it up, replace the radiator hoses, antifreeze and give it a tune up. I have read about the starter relay addition, so going to do that also. Got to make up the plug wires yet, replace the cap and rotor. I only ever changed the air filter, plugs out and it got fresh Amsoil small engine oil and oil filter, hydro filter and fluid top off every year that I have owned it, so going to drain the rear as well, yes I have the gasket. I want to wash the engine and compartment and rear end, but am concerned about all the wiring horror stories I have read about here. I was going to use some Gunk engine brite/cleaner I've had sitting on the shelf for over 20 years but worried about the possibility of it doing harm to the insulation on the old wiring and the paint. So then I thought about Castrol Super Clean, but again pretty harsh cleaner. So I'll probably just use Spray Nine or Simple green and enough water pressure just to rinse it clean. Going to use the air compressor and nozzle first to blow all the thick and or loose crud off, before the cleaner and hose down. Any thoughts or heads up, or be on the look out for... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Bryan
Old 01-21-2021, 07:30 AM

Your 2182 sounds like too much work. Just drop it at my house and save yourself the effort. I'm just up the road a bit.

When I got my 1863 it was caked with dirt, grass, oil. A mess. I removed the plastic panels, seat, fender and foot rests. Then pressure washed with just water. Left it sit in the summer sun for a few hours and it started up the first try. I should have pulled the engine, but didn't until a few months later for the same pressure wash treatment.

I have had to clean the wiring spade connections over the years and did add a starter relay.

While your results may differ, I would not be afraid to pressure wash being careful of the obvious engine fuel, air, oil access areas.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:13 AM

I had a similar issue on my 2182 and I have a nib starter( and alternator) sitting on my shelf. before I joined these forums and was a simple stalker, I was advised to eliminate all the safety’s and clean all connections/grounds to see if the problem went away. ( for me it did) then add the safety switches back one by one to determine which caused the problem. For me it was a seat switch replacement
Since then I wash my engine and drive train every year with engine bright and pressure washer. I use my 2182 for moving snow and don’t want the salt ruining my connections. I clean the grounds and connections and apply anti seize to the grounds and dielectric grease to my connectors. I have never had the starting issue again. I also had a charging issue which was solved with cleaning all the connections. I have a spare regulator, alternator, and starter on the shelf all because I had poor connections safety switches and grounds.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:11 PM

Hey Bryan, Not real familiar with the 2182 electrical woes but am
recently familiar with big greasy cleanup on engine and chassis of
another tractor. I marked and unhooked all the wiring that I felt
comfortable doing that with. All the open plugs and wire ends I wrapped
in plastic and tied them with tie wire. I had engine out so it was a little
different but not really. All open holes like oil lines, carb, exhaust ports etc
I did the same as the wire except added a little insurance with Gorilla tape..
I soaked the whole deal with stout batch of Simple Green for a couple days
off and on. Took it all outside, engine today on balmy 28 degree day and
hosed er down with the power washer. When I took all the wrappings off
it was plum dry, whew. Not sure that was really what you were looking for
but since it was real fresh in my mind thought I would throw it out there.
Good luck.

Ken
Old 01-22-2021, 09:25 AM

Hi Bryan S! Welcome to the forum. The dreaded click problem is a real annoyance. I worked through the SAME problem on my 782D, 1572 AND 1772. In all 3 instances it was caused by the PTO switch. I just checked and guess what, the 2182 uses the same PTO switch as my 3 tractors did. The PTO switch terminals C & D are used to prevent starting with the PTO SW on. In my 3 instances the C & D terminals on the PTO switch became loose with the way the blade terminals were attached as part of the switch itself. They used a copper post that was compressed to expand and hold the terminal blade much like a rivet. On the 782D, I ended up replacing the entire wire harness and to my dismay the problem came back the following year once the new wires took a set and settled into position and relieved the side pressure applied to terminals C & D. With a meter, if I probed around, the pressure applied to the terminals would make them work fine. I had to connect alligator leads leads to the suspect connections , then carefully connect my meter to the free ends of the leads to observe what was going on. Once I got the 782D figured out, it was much easier to use the experience from the 782D to fix my 1772 about 5 years later and last year, my 1572. I have included schematics for the 2182 so you can see what is happening. There is also a relay schematic from Cub Cadet that is supposed to help with this, but to tell the truth, I implemented that on the 782D and it still failed with the click to start problem. I actually bought some new switches and they had loose C & D terminals right out of the box. I returned them. I searched around and found some NOS switches and used PTO switches that were an older vintage that had the terminals more firmly attached. They are working fine.As a quick test you can reach under the dash and try to move the C & D terminals on the PTO switch to see if it starts ok right off the bat.

2182A.jpg

2182B.jpg

2182C.jpg
38" Lawn Sweeper #196483
42" L42 (Bush Hog) Rotary Cutter # 190349
45" 2-Stage Snowblower # 196364
48" Haban Rotortiller Rear PTO Driven #190356
54" SnowBlade with hydraulic Angle #196376
60" Haban Mowing Deck #196374
Old 01-27-2021, 04:25 AM

spndncash. bugeye West Valley G, FrankF3 Thanks for your input, procedures and knowledge from the past electrical woes. Also would like to Thank all the extremely knodgelable folks who share what they know and are so willing to help out here on OCC>
I'll have my 2182 24 years in May, just been a great tractor all these years, even with the click and no click. I only hesitate the pressure washer route because of the insulation crumbling off the wire thing I've read about, but might not be this series? I read so much on here about the issues and all the 1xx, 10xx, 2xxx, etc. numbers all run together at times. I try and book mark everything but... Anyway I just didn't want too cause any more electrical issues than the click, because me and electricity, electrical things I'm not real good at. Nuts and bolts, anything mechanical I'm good to go. Since having to unplug everything and clean the terminals, check wires for rot, and the 2182 is so old, I think I might clean it up the best I can and pull the engine out and replace the water pump, radiator hoses and take the radiator in the a shop and have it cleaned and pressure checked. Also the PTO is stuck, so I have to either rebuild or replace that as well. I'll go over the motor and replace anything leaking. Not sure if it does leak, I'ts had nothing but Amsoil in it since I've owned it. So fingers crossed that it was kind to the seals all these years. Frank, The PTO/PTO switch had crossed my mind at some point, but forgot about it, Thanks and Thank you for the schematics, although I'm electrically illiterate, my next door neighbor is a big time wiring guy, those schematics might come in handy. I'll take some pics, but can't get my computer to recognize any pics on my phone or camera. I plug them in and click on open files, "no new files found"? I'll keep at it.
Again, Thank you so much to everyone who plays here.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:33 AM

I send pictures from the phone using messenger (message application on facebook). Send pictures to yourself, then open messenger from the computer. Open the message with pictures and save to the computer. More than a few pictures will drive you crazy.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:38 PM

As for the PTO clutch, I put an Xtreme PTO clutch on my 1572 and have been very happy with it. I think I got mine on epay. They may have an online store to buy them as well.
38" Lawn Sweeper #196483
Old 01-28-2021, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
I send pictures from the phone using messenger (message application on facebook). Send pictures to yourself, then open messenger from the computer. Open the message with pictures and save to the computer. More than a few pictures will drive you crazy.
I use a tower computer (and it's old Windows 7) as I have a pay as you go phone. Buy a new one every year from HSN and toss them when the minutes run out. Usually get a year out of them for $40.00-$60.00 as I don't carry the phone and only really call a few places and call my Parents. So I'm old school there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankF3 View Post
As for the PTO clutch, I put an Xtreme PTO clutch on my 1572 and have been very happy with it. I think I got mine on epay. They may have an online store to buy them as well.
Frank, yes to the Xtreme one. I booked marked that site a while ago, long before I joined here. IIRC that's how I found this web site. I was looking for a good PTO but cheaper alternative than a OEM replacement, and my Google search lead me here. My plans for the 2182 was to make it a dedicated snow thrower. I have had back surgery L4/L5 laminectomy and have another bulge right above the first rupture, so taking stuff on and off is getting very difficult for me, as I have so many health problems, and no insurance, but to get back on topic sorry about that. Just not sure about it yet, as the amount of snow here anymore is pretty scarce so? But the reason for this on the 2182 is the weight of the tractor (1137lb. from tractor data dot com) would make it perfect for that chore.
My 2182 is a 2nd year one as it serial starts 817 so that would make it from 91, which has the 4.5" PTO on it, which would require the 450 blower. So if I can get mine freed up, I have a sat outside used 450 to put on it. The only thing that I didn't get when I bought it, was the lift arm, as the guy forgot to take it off his tractor, which he had already sold, I bought the 450 anyway, got it cheap enough.
I then found a barely used 451, it looks brand new garage kept, no rust a few small scratches which has everything with it, manuals and both lift arms so wasn't really worried about the arm. So fast forward to A few days ago when I found the lift arm off a 1782 for sale on CL for $20.. so now I got everything for both blowers. If I can't get my PTO to work, I'll put the 451 on and get the 6"PTO which is cheaper than the 4.5"
Again. Thanks for all your help, Bryan
Old 01-28-2021, 10:45 AM

Hi Bryan, I do the same thing you do or are planning on doing with the attachments. I have a 1572 that I bought in 1987 as the original owner. For years I would swap out the snow thrower and mowing deck and other attachments as needed. About 4 - 5 years ago when I wrenched my back I sold my 782D and picked up my 1772. Since then I keep the machines setup for specific tasks. The 1572 I keep with the 450 snow blower hooked up to it all the time. I also use it if needed, to pull trailers and other equipment around. The 1772 has the 60" Haban deck on it full time.
38" Lawn Sweeper #196483