Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-07-2019, 02:19 PM

Default 2130 Blades slip when deck is lowered

Just picked up a 2130 complete from an estate sale, the battery was dead and two tires needed tubes.
Its up and running, I changed all the fluids and it runs and drives great, but when I engage the deck, the blades spin fine in the up position but stop completely when down. I can see the belt gets super loose when the deck is down, I can see the belt trying to jump off the pto clutch its so loose. When I raise the deck all the way, the belt is tight and it cuts. I compared it to another one I've got here and don't see anything amiss. With the deck down, I can almost lift the belt off the pulleys, with it up, I can't budge the belt. Other than a few rubs and scuffs here and there it looks like a new machine with only 54 hours showing on it. How or what actually tensions the belt from the pto?
The handle and spring are intact and the pulley its attached to swings freely with the spring relaxed. Both blades are perfect, the spindles are quiet and they turn freely. The deck is secure in the front clips and the rear is pinned correctly in place to the lift arms.

I greased all the points I could find, including the belt tensioner shaft but no change. The belt is likely original. According to the man's wife he was mowing with it the week before he passed away.
Its got to be something seized up or stiff from sitting all those years.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:47 PM

When you lower the deck it goes down equally front and rear , the front is not staying up on the hanger bracket
Belt tension does not change from top to bottom cut positions
The tensioning arm on left side of deck works OK and locks in ?
Apart from those things there is nothing I can think of that would cause your problem apart from a snag
Oz
Old 06-09-2019, 05:50 AM

Its only happening on the one machine. The belt is loose enough when its down to almost run a finger under the clutch pulley. With the deck up, its tight. Swapped the deck with another machine here and the issue followed the deck. The front links are in place and everything is hooked up the same but there's no where near the belt tension on the deck with the issue.
I guess I'll have to pull it all apart and compare it to the working deck. The blade belt is fine, its the drive belt that gets loose. The tension spring is tight, but it doesn't seem to impart that tension on the belt when the deck is down. I looked but don't see anything interfering with it.
The guy that had it said it needed a new belt spring, it had a broken spring from the lever to the tensioner. I ordered and installed a new spring, and even swapped that spring between this and the other deck. The pulley moves freely, just like the other deck. I even took that tensioner off and made sure there was plenty of grease on the pivot shaft. When I raise and lower this deck I have to push down to get it to go to the ground, I don't have to do that with the other deck, or other 2130.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Post some pics of the deck.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 06-10-2019, 01:53 AM

If the problem is following the deck and without seeing it my best guess is the 2 rear connectors on the deck are in the wrong position i.e. have they been moved or damaged
My guess is that could be a reason why the deck moves enough to loosen the drive belt when lowering it
Are the anti-scalping wheels set correctly ??
Oz
Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 PM

The deck moves forward several inches when its lowered. I have two others here to compare it too, I've had all these decks off two or three times.
The deck is properly mounted.

There are a few things that stand out about this deck, the blades are held on with a single 1 1/4" diameter nut, where as the others use a shorter, smaller nut. The blades on this deck are thicker and wider as well.
The spindles, guards, belts, lever, springs and shell look the same. There looks to be only one way to attach the rear lift, there's only one hole in the lift arm on each side and the front hooks into the draft bar.

The belt stays tight till it reaches the bottom three settings, at that point it goes from loose to having an inch or more of play in the belt.
If I move a deck from the other machine to this one it works fine, so the issue is on the deck.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:19 PM

Does there appear to have been any damage to the mounting points on the deck
Nut for blades sounds right
Do your other 2 have the same amaount of forward motion when you lower them
Can you put up some pics
Oz
Old 06-13-2019, 09:06 AM
Grand Member

Sounds like the deck or belt is not installed properly. The deck should not move forward when lowering. Like Sam said.. Pics would help

Are all the decks same model numbers?
Old 06-14-2019, 01:08 PM

I'm trying to get someone to snap a few pics for me, my phone don't do pics.
The deck moves forward on both machines as it's lowered. Its just the way it seems to work. Its sort of a knee action on the hanger bracket.

On the one deck, both belts loosen when I release the lever, on the working deck, only the drive belt loosens. Both pulleys are pressed onto one pivot on the deck in question, on the other deck, the blade belt tensioner pulley has its own spring and it moves separately from the drive belt tensioner.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:26 PM

That sounds unusual both PTO and Blade belts should be on the one double deck pulley and loosen and tighten with the one lever
Hurry up with those pics
Oz