Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 05-02-2017, 09:50 AM

Talking 1450 Refresh - wanted to share and lessons learned

This isn’t anything extraordinary as many of you have done complete frame off resto’s and/or engine rebuilds and other major mods but this was my first big dive into the 1450 and I wanted to share, plus things I learned which may help someone else who finds this. Really glad I didn’t sell the tractor when I first took it out of hibernation last summer. From an investment standpoint- time and $ I probably put in more than what it's worth :: but learned quite a bit. I pulled the engine and did the following:
  • Rebuilt Steering Box, including adding column and the Nice 606 bearings, bending the plate and stud straight
  • Replace all 4 tie rods and did alignment
  • Cradle Mod
  • Channel Squeeze
  • Regreased everything
  • Rebuilt Carburetor
  • Replaced worn out items- motor mounts, hydrostat fan, fuel hose, couplings, seat bumpers, misc bolts
  • Magnetic oil drain plug
  • Clean up/Paint Touch up
  • Add muffler crutch

Results:
  • The engine (obviously) sits higher now, so the tension drive for the mower deck is now correct and not cranked to max. The snowblower should also use the proper sized belt now.
  • I think the throttle cable slipped before and didn’t allow for full throttle, so the motor ran rough and didn’t cut very well. That is solved now Less vibration at full throttle between this and the carb rebuild. No more raw gas smell after the tractor sat for a while and seems to mow better..
  • Steering is MUCH tighter and smoother, and tractor drives straight. Pretty happy with that.

Major things learned:
  • Steering wheel removal- absolutely stuck, but came off with harmonic balancer puller and tie strap
  • Using the McMaster heavy duty tie rods- needed to cut the thread on the rod further with a die
  • Bottom drive cover plate rattles- used some automotive sheet metal dampener to tame it down. Don’t lose those bolts they’re an odd size I could not find locally and had to order in OEM
  • Aftermarket magnetic drain plug needs to have high temp thread sealer added before assembly- found it leaked pretty bad and was harder to get to once mower deck was back in place.
  • Muffler crutch- get a slightly longer upper bolt as the OEM bolt was just a bit too short.
  • Be careful when removing the engine with worn out mounts, somehow I ruined one of the oil pan threads and had to helicoil it. Might want to hoist the engine slightly then remove the cradle to oil pan bolts, instead of pulling the entire cradle + engine out at once.
  • The cradle mod- Always use the oil pan as a jig for proper alignment. Then it was somewhat difficult to put in the front since it’s now one solid piece instead of two separate piece and the angle of the front mounts/bolts, but I got it in. I found it was easiest to put the cradle in first, then put the engine in. To access the front cradle to oil pan bolts (if putting in the cradle first), start from the underside, and then as the bolts tighten from the front of the tractor between the cradle and the frame, you can access the bolt heads with an open ended wrench. Hole alignment is critical here, so if it's lined up right the bolts should easily thread in with fingers at first. If you have the axle off for regreasing the pin/channel squeeze, I’d also recommend putting the engine in before putting the axle back in, or you’ll be in a tight spot putting the nuts in through the holes in the axle.
  • The Kohler carb rebuild kit did not come with the carb to engine gasket- had to buy that separate.

Anyway, thanks for everyone’s help here, definitely provided guidance.

Nice 606 + lock washer on steering box

Due to cradle mod and angle of front frame to cradle bolts hard to get in, but is managable with crowbar and some tweaking to get thru bolts started

Engine hoist made job easy- though I had to use a hook from ratchet strap to access the engine's hook

Old 05-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Grand Member

Nice work partner!

You done well, sharing with the group, and to prove that the Quiet line and it's inherited problems are a fast and ready fix, making the tractor what it should be, King of the Wide Frames!

I'm stoked!
IH CUB CADET 1450, 72, 86, 1211, IH #2 CART, IH 56" SNOW BLADE, COLLECTING CUB CADET ENGINES
Old 05-04-2017, 08:13 AM

Very nice job!! Getting my steering tight is one of my next main goals. After looking at all the great threads here, I dont know whether to feel inspired or intimidated haha!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:23 AM

Great job on the quietline. Since I bought my 1650 loader tractor, my first quietline by the way I have learned of all of the problem areas and have been slowly fixed them. It is amazing what the cradle mod and new ISC mounts will do for them.I have tightned up the hood hinge and added split rubber tubing to the rear hood support and it really quieted down the rattles. I might just learn to like this tractor. Keep up the good work.
Tom
Old 05-04-2017, 09:51 AM

Always consider a cast iron oil pan.

Dad's 122 w/42" cast deck, spring assist, lights,weights, rear lift
1250 w/hydraulic lift, lights,weights, spring assist.
50C deck converted to an A with front wheels
44C deck converted to an A with front wheels.
QA-36A
42" blade
Old 05-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Grand Member

Great job and keep up the good work!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator