Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 05-03-2017, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar1962 View Post
To be honest, a couple of responses after my first thread were condescending. I believe you guys can do better than that. There are a lot of people who read your forum. These folks can figure out who the experts are over time and they rely on the experienced information you guys can provide.
Hint-that's not a dead horse in this case.

No one in this thread has been condescending. Not yet anyway..... If you think they are, your being pretty sensitive.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is that you want from us? Your not mounting the tires yourself, and you already bought two sets of tires. You never posted any pics of these supposed undersized tires like we asked..... So, do you need someone to get you a phone number to a local tire shop?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:21 AM

I think I stated quite clearly what information would be helpful from those who may have experience with the V-61's, as well as, my initial confusion reflected in my first thread.

If I were to assume that you may not know what is OEM on this particular tractor and you actually had one of these tractors in your collection untouched since being delivered to a dealership in 1980 that you use for reference in conjunction with operating, parts, and service manuals for working on your other units of the same kind, I wonder how you would feel?

If, indeed, you are involved heavily in research and read long transcripts with hefty paragraphs and after posting a thread here someone refers to your entry as a "mess" due to a punctuation interpretation by a self-proclaimed ETOH influenced member, how would you feel?

If you had the utmost respect for those members who have a great deal of experience to share on this forum and the one time you could really could use some help from any of these folks with experience involving tires and rims of a Cub Cadet because you are inexperienced in anything other than OEM I think you would might feel a bit talked down to.

It should be fairly obvious what kind of problems I am experiencing and what kind of assistance I am hoping to find.

Ordering the first set of tires and experiencing the sizing issue I did, I have interpreted as my lack of knowledge concerning tire sizing variables within the industry. I appreciate coming to this realization through some of the replies I received on this forum from those responding in a constructive manner. Once switching to the very popular V-61's discussed heavily on this and other forums, it should also be clear, given the information that I have provided, that I am running into mounting issues.

Being that I cannot mount these tires myself I am reliant on paying someone else to do so. Does this disqualify me in some way from seeking information after having the rims ruined and being told that my choice of tires and the OEM rims are to blame for this occurring? After reading about these tires being successfully used by members of this and other forums and not reading that there is some type of issue with mounting them I believe the natural reaction would be to post a thread asking about this in the hopes that someone on this forum can shed some light through experience considering the number of past posts about the V-61's.

So tell me, what constructive insight or information should I take away from your reply? In what way is it helpful? When a member is down and reaches out for help how do you treat them?

In my opinion, you treat them as the first three responses did after my V-61 questions last evening. Within every forum there are those who are knowledgeable and possess a genuine desire to help. It is these members I am grateful for. It is these members who have propelled this forum to the well regarded stature it holds.

Again, pictures would not help in this case.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Grand Member

Any 6 ply tire that is that small in diameter is going to be very difficult to get on the rim, I suggest you find a mom and pop tire shop and have them installed and if you're worried about the paint you could always what till they're mounted and the tape off the tire and paint them again.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 05-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Grand Member

I can't count how many times I read about people getting scratches on their freshly paint rim after mounting new tire, those V61 are a real PITA, I try to mount them and give up.

A old local service garage did it for a very fair price so like Tim I suggest you find a old service garage who use to do bias, tractor and truck tires, if this doesn't work for you find a place who do ATV tires, they charge premium but those guys deal frequently with small off road mag wheels and don't scratch them...

Sorry for your rim.
1976 1650/QA42A blower/44A deck/standby
1976 1450TS/Sleeve hitch/44A deck/in storage
1963 100 (red)/in storage
2010 Kubota 2380-2/42" infinity deck (engine swap)
Old 05-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think I stated quite clearly what information would be helpful from those who may have experience with the V-61's, as well as, my initial confusion reflected in my first thread.
You mean in your first post. This entire thing is thread. You only have one thread on this site. This one. You now have 4 posts.

Well.... you didn't state it "clearly" what you are wanting.... but as I gather, you want to know whether anyone else has bought Carlisle tires and if they were noticeably shorter than the original tire. The answer is yes. One person on here has experienced that. If others have, they are not chiming in.... or they don't see it as some kind of an issue.

You also want to know if the V61's are comparable to the original tires. Well...... you are the one stating that there are loads of threads bragging on them... along with countless pics of them. Look pretty big to me. I don't know that anyone has ever done a side by side comparison of the V61 to the original tires. Again.... you have all 3 sets at your disposal. Why not post some pictures so we can see the difference you seem so adamant about exposing.

Quote:
If I were to assume that you may not know what is OEM on this particular tractor and you actually had one of these tractors in your collection untouched since being delivered to a dealership in 1980 that you use for reference in conjunction with operating, parts, and service manuals for working on your other units of the same kind, I wonder how you would feel?
Well, it goes like this. We were all new here at some point. You stated in an earlier post, that we do not "know" you. You're right. The vast majority of new members here, and low post count members, are not.... lets say, "informed" people. Oh, they think they are sometimes. We see it all the time. So.... you're saying that you have an all original Quietline machine, that you bought new. And you want to know how I would feel if someone assumed that I don't know what I'm talking about. Well... I guess I'd feel the same. Doesn't really tug at my emotions one way or the other.

Quote:
If, indeed, you are involved heavily in research and read long transcripts with hefty paragraphs and after posting a thread here someone refers to your entry as a "mess" due to a punctuation interpretation by a self-proclaimed ETOH influenced member, how would you feel?
Your first post was a mess, and most people on here aren't interested in a long wordy "book". We want direct questions and facts. Your "heavily involved" research has proven to be very flawed.... I refrained from posting a few inequities I found in it..... and I'm still not interested in trying to correct your interpretation of the information you have found as you seem to be quite content to be self enlightened off most random postings on other forums. Your "heavily involved" research is mostly a conclusion you have drawn from other peoples opinion that you read on other forums, or at least that's how it appears to me.... because some of the the information you have dispersed is somewhat inaccurate. Such as 6 ply tires being absolutely necessary for tractors with a loader on them. Well.. the very Carlisle tires you bought have a load rating of 640# on them. That's 1280# available rated weight carrying capability. Most every garden tractor with a loader and a 175# operator doesn't weigh 1280#. Now, add ballast to the rear (which adds no weight to the front tires) and you can get the machine up to about that weight. Now... the loader itself will only pick up about 400#. So... you think you have anywhere near 1280# on the two front tires?? I'm going to say that you maybe have 900# total on the front axle. That's a very long way from needing a heavier tire.

So... how would I feel. Well.... I don't know. Because my feeling would be based on a flawed sense of self education, and believing that I possess knowledge that others don't have. So, you probably felt offended, when you should have felt enlightened. Or maybe compelled... compelled to post more clearly, and perhaps even to be more brief. I guess you went with offended.

Quote:
If you had the utmost respect for those members who have a great deal of experience to share on this forum and the one time you could really could use some help from any of these folks with experience involving tires and rims of a Cub Cadet because you are inexperienced in anything other than OEM I think you would might feel a bit talked down to.
I'm sure you do have the "utmost respect" for the members here. But you have us at a disadvantage. You apparently have been reading and lurking in the shadows, forming opinions on tires, repair options, and apparently the members. We however, are just meeting you for the first time.... and I do not represent the group at all... but I'm not impressed, or inclined to be respectful. With only 4 posts, and all the complaining you are doing, I'm forming an opinion alright.....

I'm still not convinced that you have "experience" in "OEM".... and again, if you feel talked down to, it's because you have a self elevated position of value. You think you're enlightened, and therefore feel offended when we question your enlightenment. Again... we don't know you, and you're really not doing a very good job at "winning us over". That's my opinion anyway. I'm sure you will contend. Which really isn't fair, as you have been pretty vocal about your feelings. I should be able to be vocal about mine, shouldn't I?

Quote:
It should be fairly obvious what kind of problems I am experiencing and what kind of assistance I am hoping to find.
Not really.... oh the problems are apparent. But the help you are seeking is not. It's obvious that you bought some tires that you didn't like. Then you bought another set that you took to the wrong place to mount, and they scratched your rims. Outside of that.... what help do you want? Again, do you need the phone number to a local tire shop? Do you want us to recommend a now irrelevant coarse of action on how to deal with the CC dealer scratching your rims? Do we need to tell you to wait until the tires are mounted to repaint the rims so that they don't get scratched again??? Offering advice on how to mount the tires is a waste of our time, as you aren't going to do it yourself anyway..... you already decided on what tires you wanted to buy.... twice.... so making another brand recommendation is also kind of a silly thing to do. So... yeah... what information are you seeking????
Old 05-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ordering the first set of tires and experiencing the sizing issue I did, I have interpreted as my lack of knowledge concerning tire sizing variables within the industry. I appreciate coming to this realization through some of the replies I received on this forum from those responding in a constructive manner. Once switching to the very popular V-61's discussed heavily on this and other forums, it should also be clear, given the information that I have provided, that I am running into mounting issues.
I'll reiterate that your "issues" mounting them aren't really your issue. They are the issue of whoever you hire to mount them. Again... finding you a reputable tire shop is about the only thing you need. Offering advice on how to mount them is a waste of time if you're only going to pay someone to do it.

Quote:
Being that I cannot mount these tires myself I am reliant on paying someone else to do so. Does this disqualify me in some way from seeking information after having the rims ruined and being told that my choice of tires and the OEM rims are to blame for this occurring? After reading about these tires being successfully used by members of this and other forums and not reading that there is some type of issue with mounting them I believe the natural reaction would be to post a thread asking about this in the hopes that someone on this forum can shed some light through experience considering the number of past posts about the V-61's.
Yes... it does really disqualify you in seeking information. All as you're really doing is lodging a complaint. When you can't make the "repair" yourself, then you are at the mercy of whoever you hire. I ran a shop for years, and it is more than frustrating when someone comes in and begins to inform you, the owner, on how to do a particular job. In other words, just to be clear, if we advise you on how to mount the tire, then you take that information to whatever shop you choose and disperse it with them, I don't believe you will be well received. They may even refuse to attempt to mount the tires on the premise that you are the type of person who they may not be able to satisfy, and therefore don't want the headache of dealing with you. So.... yeah. You're disqualified on the basis that you do not intend to do the work yourself.

As far as having the rims "ruined" I believe it was only the paint that was ruined. Personally, I would not have painted them prior to taking them to a shop to get the tires mounted. Nor would I have used the brand of paint you did. Nor would I have allowed the Cub Cadet dealer to scratch them up without getting the tires mounted, without, at the very least, having them give you a can of paint to repaint them with. You could have even told them that you brought the tires in to be mounted, and you expect that a business that works on and sells garden tractors should be able to mount a tire, and that if they needed to find someone else to mount them, so be it. But.... accepting a rim back without a tire on it that they damaged, then gave you no more than a "sorry".... that's on you man. Nothing we can do for you there.

You didn't read about any "issues" mounting them, because most of the machine owners either paid someone else to do it, and they succeeded, or they went out and mounted them like you would mount any 6ply tire. With some brute strength, and the proper tools. It is what it is..... Again, all I see this thread as is one long complaint seeking solace for the decisions you already made.

Quote:
So tell me, what constructive insight or information should I take away from your reply? In what way is it helpful? When a member is down and reaches out for help how do you treat them?
My constructive insight is that you either need to ask questions before making purchases, or learn to mount your own tires. It's not fair to complain or ask questions after making the purchase, and after you've had a bad experience with a particular dealer. You are basically asking us to feel sorry for you..... and I'm not feeling very sorry for you. You made decision based on what you read, not based on a response to a particular question you asked before making a purchase. So, how do I treat you? I'll treat you like someone lodging a complaint and asking questions after the fact. You made some bad decisions. That's not my fault.

Quote:
In my opinion, you treat them as the first three responses did after my V-61 questions last evening. Within every forum there are those who are knowledgeable and possess a genuine desire to help. It is these members I am grateful for. It is these members who have propelled this forum to the well regarded stature it holds.
I do desire to help.... but from where I am, and where you are, there isn't much help I can give. I can recommend, that you go find a tire shop and pay them to mount your tires, then take them home and repaint the rims. Outside of that, you're on your own.

Quote:
Again, pictures would not help in this case.
For what you seek... no. Pictures probably would not have gotten you back the money you spend on tires that you didn't like. Pictures would not have helped us help you... not for the help you desire.

Good day to you.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Grand Member

1- 1864 in pieces
QA36A Thrower, #1 Tiller w/ extensions, IH windbreaker, IH wheel weights, 44C mower deck, 50C mower deck, CCC 54" Blade, GT46 high vacuum deck, GT54 deck, Cub Tripple Bagger, Custom dozer blade, Custom suitcase weights, 3pt cultivator, lawn sweeper, original R-Bucket
Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Grand Member

I take my tires to a Discount Tire. They enjoy mounting them and do it for a reasonable price.

(May 1970) 147 w/an IH spring assist, 48" deck, 42" blade, 1969 73, #2 trailer, 10" Brinly plow and (on loan) Dad's #2 tiller.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:11 PM
Grand Member

3 pages and still no pictures...
Old 05-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Grand Member

Can't say I've ever had to change a front tire on a Cadet.

Just gonna toss out something. If the rims are offset, then you can only mount the tire from one side--the ones on my Kawasaki Mule are like that.

How are the rims constructed? What I am asking is are there 2 halves and a center like an idler pulley? If so I imagine you could drill out the welds like a pulley when you replace a bearing and bolt it back together. My go-cart has 2 pc rims like that---but its over 40 years old and the rims are alum.

Anyway, like has been said before, a good tire shop should handle this with minimal damage to the paint.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck

Tags
1250 front tires